Touchscreen Alternatives
Hey everyone!

In build the pledge for my Pine A64+, I decided that I wanted to build a bigger tablet, and have been looking around for a 9" touchscreen to use instead of the supplied 7".  (And I could get everything together faster.)  However, despite frequent searches on Ebay and Amazon, I have yet to find any alternative modules for the touchscreen in the size I want.  So, any suggestions on where I could look next?  Or is just keep looking on Ebay and Amazon? 

Or does anything like that exist in the $40 to $50 range with the right connector?
(02-23-2016, 01:18 AM)NoahJ Wrote: Hey everyone!

In build the pledge for my Pine A64+, I decided that I wanted to build a bigger tablet, and have been looking around for a 9" touchscreen to use instead of the supplied 7".  (And I could get everything together faster.)  However, despite frequent searches on Ebay and Amazon, I have yet to find any alternative modules for the touchscreen in the size I want.  So, any suggestions on where I could look next?  Or is just keep looking on Ebay and Amazon? 

Or does anything like that exist in the $40 to $50 range with the right connector?

If there is enough demand, Pine64 may make a 9" screen available (also smaller screens, if you prefer). See this thread:

http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=50

If you want to go it alone, connector is a MIPI 4 lane:

http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=319
You can get this 10" 1366×768 IPS display that plugs into the HDMI slot for video and the USB slot for the touchscreen part: http://www.chalk-elec.com/?page_id=1280#...ry=3094861. However, at $135 it is outside your price range.

I checked with waveshare, and they don't have a HDMI display, but they do have an LVDS display (perhaps you can plug in a HDMI to LVDS converter): http://www.waveshare.com/product/modules...-lcd-d.htm

Adafruit, Sainsmart, etc. have 10.1" displays without the touchscreen support.
I came across this 10.1" TFT LCD 1920x1200 mipi 4lanes display on aliexpress for a nice $41.
I do NOT know this seller from earlier so I can not guarantee his/her professionality, and the item has minimum description. But for $41 it is affordable and worth a shot.

EDIT 24. FEB. 2016 08:30:
  • After some more searching I found THIS. Seems like the same display, but the seller has alot more info on it and the description is pretty good.... This one is $45 and free shipping...
The question is whether or not pine64 is going to support it. Unless it uses a exactly the wiring and protocol to what pine64 already supports, it would probably take a lot of time spent customize the drivers for this display (and generally that requires a specialized skillset and tools to do). If the pinout is not exactly the same, you would also need to build a converter circuit.

I suspect pine64 has their work cut out for them for at least the next year or so. And if they aren't selling the screen, there is probably less financial interest for them to support it. Sure, somebody might do it as a hobby project, but it will be a lot of work. Of course, maybe you are that someone, if so, have fun.
Thanks for all the answers everyone!

As of now, I am planning on going with the official pine setup. Which makes the larger screen more of an upgrade or side project for now. I don't know exactly how I will do it, but if there are adapters and connectors that work, I am willing to try it.

The only other question is, will any digitizer with the correct dimensions work on any LCD screen? Or do manufacturers specialize their components to be exclusive?
(03-02-2016, 05:32 PM)NoahJ Wrote: Thanks for all the answers everyone!

As of now, I am planning on going with the official pine setup.  Which makes the larger screen more of an upgrade or side project for now.  I don't know exactly how I will do it, but if there are adapters and connectors that work, I am willing to try it.  

The only other question is, will any digitizer with the correct dimensions work on any LCD screen?  Or do manufacturers specialize their components to be exclusive?

A new digitizer may require calibration, but any of the proper size should work if you can find a driver for it.
(02-24-2016, 01:28 AM)Tarjei85 Wrote: I came across this 10.1" TFT LCD 1920x1200 mipi 4lanes display on aliexpress for a nice $41.
I do NOT know this seller from earlier so I can not guarantee his/her professionality, and the item has minimum description. But for $41 it is affordable and worth a shot.

• After some more searching I found THIS. Seems like the same display, but the seller has alot more info on it and the description is pretty good.... This one is $45 and free shipping...

Then, would that touchscreen suffice?
Can anyone from Pine64 verify it? I want to build my own project with a Pine64+ and I need a cheap&withouthborders touchscreen.
Also I can't find the place where to buy the one for Pine64. Does anyone know?
(03-05-2016, 09:58 AM)chipi_92 Wrote:
(02-24-2016, 01:28 AM)Tarjei85 Wrote: I came across this 10.1" TFT LCD 1920x1200 mipi 4lanes display on aliexpress for a nice $41.

Can anyone from Pine64 verify it? I want to build my own project with a Pine64+ and I need a cheap&withouthborders touchscreen.

As I know, there is USB touch screen in market and some may work on Pine A64 board. However, I have no time to survey further.
(03-05-2016, 01:15 PM)tllim Wrote:
(03-05-2016, 09:58 AM)chipi_92 Wrote:

As I know, there is USB touch screen in market and some may work on Pine A64 board. However, I have no time to survey further.
I got an egalax usb touchscreen to work with X on a cubieboard years ago. The kernel has had support for these for a long time now. It went a lot like this:  http://karuppuswamy.com/wordpress/2013/0...-in-linux/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Search Compatible 10.1" touchscreen alfredo78 0 2,158 07-06-2018, 03:48 AM
Last Post: alfredo78
  Larger LCD touchscreen stephen fleming 3 4,646 06-13-2017, 03:16 AM
Last Post: mbt28
  Touchscreen display mods atomicSoC 2 4,113 08-26-2016, 05:44 PM
Last Post: pfeerick
  Touchscreen support? NoahJ 12 15,388 07-09-2016, 12:01 PM
Last Post: yodermk
  Large multi touch touchscreen for P64? vedranius 5 7,355 05-20-2016, 09:43 PM
Last Post: tllim
Bug Raspberry Pi 7" Touchscreen Display not work? Paara 2 5,413 05-05-2016, 08:47 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Touchscreen monitor to use lefartenshisten 1 3,494 04-30-2016, 10:47 PM
Last Post: MichaelMeissner