using Zoom on Pinephone
Understood that Zoom is a controversial and for-profit company--but unlike when I'm working on my own projects, sometimes I need to work with other people and accommodate their software choices. Yes, ideally we'd be using Jitsi or some other open source software.

Is there any way to participate in a Zoom videochat session from a Pinephone or Pinephone Pro running Mobian? This is currently the only reason why I still keep an Android phone lying around. I used to use Zoom's Linux client, but that was before I switched to Arm and Zoom does not support Arm. I tried using Zoom's web client (admittedly on PureOS + Phosh on the Librem 5 -- I haven't tried on Mobian on the Pinephone yet), but that was a read-only experience: despite giving Firefox permissions to use the camera and microphone, I could only see and hear but not be seen or heard.
it'll probably be terribly slow and ragged, but you could try using the Zoom Android app through Waydroid. You should be able to test everything is working correctly through Zoom's test call page.
(11-16-2023, 10:38 AM)tophneal Wrote: it'll probably be terribly slow and ragged, but you could try using the Zoom Android app through Waydroid. You should be able to test everything is working correctly through Zoom's test call page.

Thank you, I'll do some research on that. I've never used Waydroid before--if I can get a working container or VM or whatever Waydroid is set up, what is the package manager or software depository there? I've heard people talk about Fdroid, maybe that's it?
Waydroid's pretty easy to get going, the heavy lifting of getting it working was done a few years ago, so most distros have it's container available to install through their package managers. FDroid is a popular App Store in Waydroid, I've also used Aurora Store as an alternative. You can also install APKs directly from command line: https://docs.waydro.id/usage/install-and...plications
It's worth trying Mobian on Pinephone to make sure the problem isn't specific to your operating system or desktop environment. Perhaps Mobian provides better compatibility.
I haven't tried it on PP or PPP Mobian (all though this makes me think now I should Wink However I have had some success using using the Zoom Chrome Plugin with Chrome browser on other Debian / ARM platforms (Pi's) so it might be worth looking at.

I've been considering looking into testing and getting https://meet.jit.si/ Jitsi Meet going on my Mobian / Posh PPP when I have "more" time than I know what to do with !

I wouldn't say the Chrome / Zoom experience was "general user friendly" but I did get it successfully going for some test Zoom meetings OK ?

Happy to link some doco if you want to look at that option and need it Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone Pro and PinePhone Community Edition Different SIM Card Trays dorkydev 2 195 04-11-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Where PinePhone Pro are Made Tony90 1 498 01-18-2024, 09:20 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  pinephone 3 ideas aular 2 777 11-30-2023, 07:57 AM
Last Post: aular
  Does pinephone allow you to repair your own device as easily as fairphone? unix21311 3 1,965 11-06-2022, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Harolddavies0
  can i install mobian on pinephone? luofeiyu 2 1,309 10-15-2022, 07:31 AM
Last Post: user641
  Does the pinephone have hardware kill switches located on the outside of the phone? unix21311 2 1,777 10-03-2022, 05:53 AM
Last Post: unix21311
Sad New PinePhone Mobian Weekly Image... No Boot photon 1 1,154 09-27-2022, 07:00 AM
Last Post: olyavi
  used PinePhone Mobian CE or PineTab CelynRollins 1 1,635 01-11-2022, 06:31 AM
Last Post: collierreinhold
  Are you OK with the size of the PinePhone? guenther 14 8,367 12-16-2021, 12:12 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  I SHOULD NOT HAVE PURCHASED THE PINEPHONE Scooterman 5 4,594 12-09-2021, 06:52 AM
Last Post: ryo