Replacement main board for Developers
Hi

I develop Slackware for the ARM platform, and Pine64 were kind enough to donate a PbPro to the project.
Unfortunately it's now developed a hardware fault, which I made a video about here: https://youtu.be/knOqICIOwdM

Who's the best person to contact about this?

Thanks
 Stuart.
Perhaps you would be so kind as to describe the hardware fault.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
(11-10-2023, 11:16 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: Perhaps you would be so kind as to describe the hardware fault.

Hi

Sorry, yes I forgot to describe it!

It intermittently fails to fully boot U-Boot from SPI flash or SD card - it hangs in the early stages.  If U-Boot boots correctly, the OS will boot but within a few minutes the system either hangs or the Kernel panics.
I've also tried testing the memory from within Linux, resulting in a hang after a few minutes.

It won't power on if the battery is connected, and there's a high-pitch whining noise coming from (I think) the main board.
It's not a software problem, as U-Boot hasn't changed in months and it's what's in use for other Slackware users.

Thanks
s.
Interesting. It sounds like classic bad RAM or overheat. Have you tried throttling the CPUs?

The high pitch whine may or may not be normal with the battery disconnected. I wonder if you had a shorted battery which damaged the power circuit. You may need to get both a main board and a battery. (There was a thread here recently about buying batteries).

I wonder if @tllim has a word on a replacement main board.

[ SRA accepts you ]
(11-13-2023, 04:46 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: Interesting.  It sounds like classic bad RAM or overheat.  Have you tried throttling the CPUs?

The high pitch whine may or may not be normal with the battery disconnected.  I wonder if you had a shorted battery which damaged the power circuit.  You may need to get both a main board and a battery.  (There was a thread here recently about buying batteries).

My guess is bad RAM as well.  I've not tried throttling the CPUs. The machine is stone cold when turned on, yet invariably won't complete booting U-Boot.
I've not been experimenting with the hardware and a fault subsequently developed:  I disconnected the battery because it wouldn't turn on with it connected, then discovered the rest of the faults once I had it booting.

If a replacement board can be provided, I'd appreciate it - without it Slackware won't support the PineBook Pro, and I enjoy using it to develop the project.

Thanks
s.
(11-14-2023, 04:03 AM)mozes Wrote:
(11-13-2023, 04:46 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: Interesting.  It sounds like classic bad RAM or overheat.  Have you tried throttling the CPUs?

The high pitch whine may or may not be normal with the battery disconnected.  I wonder if you had a shorted battery which damaged the power circuit.  You may need to get both a main board and a battery.  (There was a thread here recently about buying batteries).

My guess is bad RAM as well.  I've not tried throttling the CPUs. The machine is stone cold when turned on, yet invariably won't complete booting U-Boot.
I've not been experimenting with the hardware and a fault subsequently developed:  I disconnected the battery because it wouldn't turn on with it connected, then discovered the rest of the faults once I had it booting.

If a replacement board can be provided, I'd appreciate it - without it Slackware won't support the PineBook Pro, and I enjoy using it to develop the project.

Thanks
s.

if you don't hear from @tllim by the end of the week, shoot me a pm. pine store appears to have these in stock right now. i'd be happy to purchase and send a mainboard your way.
(11-14-2023, 04:03 AM)mozes Wrote:

Thanks
s.

You have PM me but not allow me to reply. This is the error message: mozes has private messaging disabled. You cannot send private messages to this user.
Can anyone with only 3 posts receive PMs?

[ SRA accepts you ]
(11-17-2023, 08:03 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: Can anyone with only 3 posts receive PMs?

Good question. I thought it was after 3 posts approved by mods PMs unlocked. I should probably look into that lol

edit: searched the forums, but it seems the mentions of the new user approval system has changed/been edited, so I've posted in the mods forum for clarification.
(11-17-2023, 12:26 AM)tllim Wrote: You have PM me but not allow me to reply. This is the error message: mozes has private messaging disabled. You cannot send private messages to this user.

Hi

I didn't know that was a default: I can receive PMs now.

Thanks
s.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bad replacement battery? chris88233 3 386 02-19-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Replacement battery for PineBook Pro DrYak 3 1,079 11-07-2023, 10:09 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Battery replacement mjc 2 2,882 09-26-2023, 01:08 AM
Last Post: david-lechner
  Replacement scissor switches (ANSI keyboard)? zackw 3 3,844 08-09-2021, 09:20 PM
  Pinebook Pro/Pinetab replacement as400 11 11,190 07-30-2021, 04:40 AM
Last Post: as400
  Replacement board avaliability mrjay 1 2,447 07-06-2021, 04:08 PM
  Minimum daughter boards/peripherals required for main board to boot cmicallef 5 4,637 03-12-2021, 10:10 PM
Last Post: cmicallef
  Replacement for video cable (EDP to LCD/camera)? pnwkayaker 2 4,039 10-13-2020, 08:42 PM
Last Post: pnwkayaker
  Replacement internal antenna? azuntik 6 7,943 09-09-2020, 10:07 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  PBP Speaker Replacement 8jef 25 33,935 09-09-2020, 05:09 AM
Last Post: speculatrix