Sleep and external display - Are there any options?
I've been trying lots of options for getting my Pinebook Pro to sleep (and then wake up), as well as to try to get an external display to work. I finally broke my Manjaro install and decided I needed to re-group.

I've tried:
  • Briefly fooled around with the `systemd/sleep.conf` configuration file
  • Tried Armbian, Fedora, and OpenSuSE (all from sdcard)
  • Tow-Boot 2021.something on SPI, then recently the 2022.something version on SPI
  • Wiped my SPI, back to booting using u-boot on the eMMC (as I understand). I then upgraded u-boot via some Manjaro package.
  • Tried a pre-built "Megous" kernel from here: https://github.com/megous/linux although I failed to get it to boot correctly
  • Tried downgrading to the Manjaro 5.15 kernel, which I read elsewhere allowed an external display to work. Surprisingly, this was the change that finally broke my Manjaro install.

My Pinebook was ordered August 2022.

Anything I haven't tried that worked for someone else? Should any of these ideas have worked?

To be clear - I'm not worried about fixing my Manjaro install.

Thank you!
Again....
s2, s2R, s3, STR, hibernate,,, just what are you trying to get?
I don't know if this will work for external monitor, don't have right hub to try
If you have nvme,,, don't bother, STR won't work
For me. with end of 2019 pbp,, right NOW, uptime 109 days (s2R, STR, s3 which are all the same)
5.8.14-1 kernel., mrfixit2.0 uboot,, edit to sleep.conf,, power button set to ask,, lid close to ignore
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folde...NMFznnrzV9
mrfixit on uSD, emmc uboot area blanked
Use ONLY power button to start sleep dialog, waken
BTW,,, this gives 14d sleep
(09-02-2023, 10:49 AM)wdt Wrote: Again....
I don't know if this will work for external monitor, don't have right hub to try
If you have nvme,,, don't bother,  STR won't work
For me. with end of 2019 pbp,, right NOW, uptime 109 days (s2R, STR, s3 which are all the same)
5.8.14-1 kernel., mrfixit2.0 uboot,,  edit to sleep.conf,, power button set to ask,, lid close to ignore

I'd be happy with any sleep state other than s2idle.

When you say "mrfixit on uSD", are you booting from the microSD? Do you have anything on your SPI (or, does your version of the Pinebook Pro have an SPI?)

Excited to give this a try, thanks!
(09-02-2023, 11:21 AM)chris88233 Wrote:
(09-02-2023, 10:49 AM)wdt Wrote: Again....
If you have nvme,,, don't bother,  STR won't work
5.8.14-1 kernel., mrfixit2.0 uboot,,  edit to sleep.conf,, power button set to ask,, lid close to ignore

I'd be happy with any sleep state other than s2idle.

When you say "mrfixit on uSD", are you booting from the microSD? Do you have anything on your SPI (or, does your version of the Pinebook Pro have an SPI?)

I have roughly the same setup as wdt. MrxFixit uboot 2.0 (on emmc - blank spi - but that should not matter), Daniel Thompon's kernel 5.7 (which got removed from his website by now) and Debian 12 on emmc. It gives (probably) around 14 days of suspend to memory. It comes with some caveats, though:

• Suspend fails when the GPU is in use. That can happen in cases as trivial as having opened a multimedia enriched website
    Code:
    $ journalctl | grep "failed to suspend"
    Jun 10 15:54:19 debian kernel: PM: Device ff9a0000.gpu failed to suspend: error -16

• Upon coming back from suspend to memory, audio is gone because the audio driver in my kernel version does not implement suspend and resume callback functions. Audio can be revived brute force by unbinding and rebinding the sound driver. This crashes the kernel if the driver is accessed in the split-second between unbinding and rebinding. So, make sure not to play any sound when executing this command:
    Code:
    $ sudo tee /sys/bus/i2c/drivers/es8316/{un,}bind <<< 1-0011

• The Pinebook Pro wakes up from suspend to memory in the moment it gets connected to external power or unconnected from external power.
(09-02-2023, 12:18 PM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote: ...
  • Suspend fails when the GPU is in use. That can happen in cases as trivial as having opened a multimedia enriched website 
  • Upon coming back from suspend to memory, audio is gone because the audio driver in my kernel version does not implement suspend and resume callback functions. Audio can be revived brute force by unbinding and rebinding the sound driver. This crashes the kernel if the driver is accessed in the split-second between unbinding and rebinding. So, make sure not to play any sound when executing this command:
  • The Pinebook Pro wakes up from suspend to memory in the moment it gets connected to external power or unconnected from external power.

I can live with this.

Have you - or anyone else - tried any of the kernels from the "megous" user? It looks this person works with the PinePhone mostly, but when you dig in here: https://xff.cz/kernels/ There are kernels for the PineBook Pro.

Appreciate all the input
>The Pinebook Pro wakes up from suspend to memory in the moment it gets connected to external power or unconnected from external power.
in /etc/rc.local
echo disabled > /sys/devices/platform/dc-charger/power/wakeup
------
Nothing on SPI
to boot from emmc a uSD with ONLY tow-boot on it, do define a partition on uSD (any size) and format it
some uboots error when there is nothing but unformated space on the uboot media
----
and, BTW, some tow-boot versions do STR, just not very well, ie ~7-8d
and some (versions) don't work at all
AFAIK, none of the manjaro uboots will give STR
(09-02-2023, 06:35 PM)wdt Wrote: >The Pinebook Pro wakes up from suspend to memory in the moment it gets connected to external power or unconnected from external power.
in /etc/rc.local
echo disabled  > /sys/devices/platform/dc-charger/power/wakeup

Great!

Dude, you still live in the 1980s. Nowadays, udev is the way to go. Here is my udev rule:

Code:
$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/90-powersupply.rules
SUBSYSTEM=="power_supply", ACTION=="add", RUN+="/bin/sh -c 'echo disabled > /sys/devices/platform/dc-charger/power/wakeup'"
1980's? You mean DOS3.3? I don't want to remember that
I always have trouble with the quotes, just where and what

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No external monitorvia USB-C over Dockingstation bnjmnhg 14 3,007 11-28-2023, 01:35 PM
Last Post: zaius
  Manjaro ARM: enabling external monitors & fixing Broadcom WiFi after updating trifleneurotic 2 904 11-14-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: trifleneurotic
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 5,283 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
Question Debian (Vanilla) no output on display after Kernel update (6.0.8-1) as365n4 1 1,279 12-09-2022, 12:43 PM
Last Post: as365n4
  How to make manjaro sleep or hibernate? KDE? regretfulpineuser 0 986 06-20-2022, 12:56 AM
Last Post: regretfulpineuser
  Garbled display with kernels 5.15 and 5.14 schwarzwieweiss 4 3,183 11-07-2021, 06:30 AM
Last Post: schwarzwieweiss
  reset sound after suspend to memory (deep sleep) Der Geist der Maschine 16 16,982 10-18-2021, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Syonyk
Question External display doesn't work in TwisterOS (Armbian) TDC_PBP 0 1,550 08-21-2021, 02:46 PM
Last Post: TDC_PBP
  External USB C Monitor not working altacus 29 38,515 08-08-2021, 10:19 AM
Last Post: Dendrocalamus64
Question Help: Pinebook Pro will not enter sleep [Manjaro 20.04] EverythingIsInput 49 64,522 05-07-2021, 06:21 AM
Last Post: line72