does the pinetab "just worK"?
Hello,

I'm a student that wants to buy the PineTab for note-taking purposes. I like the prospect of having all my notes in 1 place (or even digitizing handouts I fill out so that my backpack isn't cluttured). But the Wikipedia page for the PineTab says that buyers are expected to write software for the PineTab.

I was wondering, is there a OS for the PineTab that I can use to take notes, and does it come by default?

Thanks,
averageconsumer445
The Pinetab2 comes with a Linux operating system. It would work fine for taking notes. You can add your own text editor or use the one that is loaded (Kate.)

IMPORTANT: Be aware of what doesn't work (at this moment). Wifi, bluetooth, sleep, rear camera (not sure about the front) do not work at this time but people are working at getting them to work. If you don't need those right away, then the Pinetab2 would work for you.

To work around the above connectivity issues you could buy a Wifi adapter (just make sure it will work with the PT2) or a USB-C to RJ45 to hard wire it.
(06-29-2023, 07:44 PM)averageconsumer445 Wrote: Hello,

I'm a student that wants to buy the PineTab for note-taking purposes. I like the prospect of having all my notes in 1 place (or even digitizing handouts I fill out so that my backpack isn't cluttured). But the Wikipedia page for the PineTab says that buyers are expected to write software for the PineTab.

I was wondering, is there a OS for the PineTab that I can use to take notes, and does it come by default?

Thanks,
averageconsumer445

I have just purchased PineTab2 as my first Pine product. I have some previous experience with Linux, but I am not a developer and purchased it to use as a "consumer". To the question, does it "just work", I can answer "mostly, yes".  There are a few features that are not yet available, namely WiFi, Bluetooth, Camera & Suspend (see known issues here: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PineTab2#Known_Issues. You can workaround the lack of WiFi with a USB WiFi adapter or phone tether. If you need to "digitize" paper docs with the camera, that may be a problem for you until the issue is fixed.

As to included software for note-taking, there is a simple text editor installed by default, or for a more full-fledged word processor you can install the free and open source LibreOffice from the Discover software center. Or if you don't need the full LibreOffice suite, you can install the standalone LibreOffice Writer.

Overall, I am quite happy with my PIneTab2 so far. In fact, I am now seriously considering getting the PinePhone Pro to replace my soon-to-be-useless 3G dumb-phone.
It really depends upon which application you prefer to use to take notes.

Research online about the available status of the software you require and the state of what’s working/not hardware-wise & if you’re not satisfied, wait awhile and check back.

There is always a simple text editor, I don’t remember which one was the default application (& yes I use a simple text editor for taking notes). I’ve also installed most of my daily-use Linux applications including Libre Office & the battery life is fine for my normal workday.

With that said, keep in mind that this is a test device with a Beta operating system and updates may break software applications &/ remove kernel modules which may affect certain features/functionality and then you have to correct it yourself or wait for someone else to upload a fix/post instructions on how to do it, if you want that feature back.

Other’s have linked the in-development items, so I won’t mention them. Would I recommend it to today’s “average” consumer as their only device? No, not at this early stage of software development.

As for me, I am completely happy with mine and have been testing/using it everyday since I received it without any major problems & I wouldn’t go back to a spypad, even if it were free.
Satisfied PinePhone, Pinebook Pro & PineTab2 owner; Thank you Pine64Team for your work!  Smile
(06-29-2023, 07:44 PM)averageconsumer445 Wrote: Hello,

Thanks,
averageconsumer445
Apologies, I was referring to the PineNote but I wrote this post with no sleep. To be specific I was referring to this OS and wondering whether it was the default one.
https://youtu.be/DWuTGgQHw98
Sadly I can't find any other instances of this "tech-demo" AOSP fork being the default OS or even being obtainable for the PineNote, which is a shame because it's well-polished and if this OS were to be loaded on the PineNote it'd be great.
I'll keep this thread posted because the repliers posted some valuable information that may come in handy for others.
I'll answer for the PineTab 2 since that's what you originally said.

My answer is no.

If the built in WiFi and bluetooth doesn't work, then that's a pretty big problem for most people. I'm running a USB WiFi adapter but that's not ideal.

It's pretty slow too, something closer the original Pinebook than the Pinebook Pro.

I haven't checked out the Pine Note.
As for the PineNote, from what I've read, the terse answer to the question is "No."

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the PineNote is in a even less-developed state than the PineTab2.

You might wish to ask this question in the PineNote forum here. This should get you better answers.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
The Pine Note is in a rather primitive state, they started shipping well before there was a mostly-functional OS. Beautiful piece of hardware, but I wouldn't expect to use it day to day unless just as a reader or taking notes and not expecting most functions to work.

The PIneTab 2 out of the box is better than other brand new PINE64 releases in terms of stability, but wifi is not right (I think there are some solutions in the rpi community for this wifi that we can adapt from, eventually) and neither of the 2 popular external wifi cards I bought for the purpose are usable... yet. I'm using the Ethernet dongle I got with my OG pinebook (only 100Mbit I think but it works at least), so I've been able to run a couple of updates. Once wifi is up, I will probably use it a lot more as it feels and looks great, the keyboard case works well and the experience has been smoother for me than any phones, tablets or notebooks I've had from PINE64 so far (I mean out of the box, the other devices have had more time to mature so many things have smoothed up). Very much looking forward to seeing this thing mature and improve, the quality and experience are very encouraging and at this price point, it's really a great little device that will make lots of fans. I just wouldn't try to use it full service yet.
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs
@zer0sig The external adapter: tp-link AC1300, Model: Archer T3U Plus(EU) Ver:1.0 is working fine with the PineTab2; you might want to give it a try.
Satisfied PinePhone, Pinebook Pro & PineTab2 owner; Thank you Pine64Team for your work!  Smile
[attachment=2802 Wrote:zer0sig pid='118415' dateline='1688321128']... The PIneTab 2 out of the box is better than other brand new PINE64 releases in terms of stability, but wifi is not right (I think there are some solutions in the rpi community for this wifi that we can adapt from, eventually) and neither of the 2 popular external wifi cards I bought for the purpose are usable... yet. ...
Mine arrived today and looks good but I was a bit surprised that the WiFi doesn't work and I cannot see a simple solution.

I have a cheap USB WiFi dongle which worked immediately, but having this hanging off the side with a USBC adaptor, is far from ideal. I'm looking forward to a simple (for me) driver download for the internal WiFi. B'tooth would be nice as well.

Edit: 3 days later, I am more and more impressed. I bought this to replace a broken Linux tablet but it is likely that it will replace my HP EliteBook i5 laptop, as well.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

PinePhone Beta 2GB/16GB Postmarket OS v23.06.1 Phosh 0.30.0 (not in use)

PineTab2 Arch Danctnix 6.4.2

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinetab 2 just arrived + when can hope to se wifi driver LRP 15 7,826 02-28-2024, 05:03 AM
Last Post: Surehand53
Wink Screen protector for PineTab 2 vatin 0 522 11-18-2023, 01:31 AM
Last Post: vatin
  PineTab 2 (arm64) thoughts and questions acruhl 7 2,914 09-01-2023, 01:13 PM
Last Post: acruhl
  PineTab 2 Dead Screen Kramey 16 4,762 08-12-2023, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Kramey
  pinetab 2 not booting ajhiii070 5 1,813 08-07-2023, 01:46 PM
Last Post: r.aliaskarov
  Pinetab-V shipping Status? jfstepha 6 2,396 07-12-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ChromaticHamster
  No WiFi or Ethernet on vanilla PineTab 2 from the factory? SmittyWerbenyegermanjenson 6 2,306 06-06-2023, 05:26 PM
Last Post: fxc
Star Looking for a Pinetab [EU] Glenn 2 2,646 01-24-2023, 06:12 PM
Last Post: Louis
  Looking to buy a PineTab Yair22 2 2,523 01-24-2023, 06:10 PM
  Pinetab for sale w/ keyboard (Denmark, EU) [sold] Louis 0 716 01-24-2023, 06:01 PM