Why no ePacket shipping from China?
While China is technically a "developed" country now, it still gets developing nation status with the International Postal Union which means small & light weight packages can be sent for next to nothing.

Yet, we seem to pay an exorbitant amount of shipping cost for shipping items from the Pine64.com web site compared to what ePacket cost.

I have even asked some makers online saying/showing they are purchasing some relevant items and I ask, "Why no 'x' from Pine64."

Answer: "shipping!"

Related Video on Odysee:

https://odysee.com/@serpentza:5/how-the-...wnn9PkeLQF
(06-14-2023, 07:15 PM)KNERD Wrote: While China is technically a "developed" country now, it still gets developing nation status with the International Postal Union which means small & light weight packages can be sent for next to nothing.

Yet, we seem to pay an exorbitant amount of shipping cost for shipping items from the Pine64.com web site compared to what ePacket cost.

I have even asked some makers online saying/showing they are purchasing some relevant items and I ask, "Why no 'x' from Pine64."

Answer: "shipping!"

Related Video on Odysee:

https://odysee.com/@serpentza:5/how-the-...wnn9PkeLQF

First things first, we're the community here, while the Pine Store is its own entity with its own website, so when asking the community you get community answers and guesses. To add my community answer:

The Pine Store itself is not really comparable to regular commercial sellers on for example Aliexpress. One reason for that is their location, another reason is how the parcels have to be collected by the courier drivers from the shipping location compared to dropping stuff at the postal office. A third reason is that Pine Store is using what they tested as working. I'm pretty sure they tested China EMS in the past and it likely didn't turn out to be a great solution. To certain locations it is actually the worst solution, with a high amount of parcels bouncing at the customs causing the Store issues and it causes very high fees in certain countries regarding the import and taxation process. Also mind the differences regarding Pine Store and commercial entities in handling lost packages, user inquires due to long shipping times and what resources it would cost.

It's a common theme for people to ask "Why doesn't the store do that" for various topics, typically regarding software, support, payment and shipping. Don't forget that most devices are sold at production cost or at loss. Sure, they could offer software, support and all kind of payment and shipping options but they actually work the way they work because they are not like the commercial counter-parts.

On a side note, the subvention of China mail with the Universal Postal Union Agreement was terminated a few years ago. A reassessment happened 2018, the US left it 2019 and other countries could adopt the prices since 2020, which for example Germany did.
The International Postal Union is typically the slowest shipping option. "Priority" just means "very slow" instead of "excruciatingly slow". The PINE64EU store uses Poczta Polska (i.e., the International Postal Union) to send their PinePhones from Poland, and it took a whole week for mine to arrive in Austria (after they confirmed having sent it). And that was a "priority" shipment.

I have also recently had a "priority" letter (normal letter, not related to PINE64 stuff) from Italy to neighboring Austria take 2 whole weeks to arrive.
I’m really happy with Pine64’s GLS courier shipping; they let me pay the import tax online without any hassles.

Fedex, the deliveryman gave me the package without any tax/import charges, which I thought was odd. A month later I received an email stating that they were going to take legal action against me for non-payment of custom’s fees (which I was never made aware of/invoiced for).

I had to call FedEx multiple times, make an account on their website just to pay the import tax, then even after payment, for 3 weeks, they continued to harass/ send me weekly e-mails threatening legal action against me for non-payment.

After that experience, I will never willingly use Fed-Ex again.
Satisfied PinePhone, Pinebook Pro & PineTab2 owner; Thank you Pine64Team for your work!  Smile
Instead than "excruciatingly slow," the word "priority" just means "very slow." Thirdly, Pine Store only employs tried-and-true methods. They probably tried China EMS once before, and it wasn't a very good answer.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Shipping to Ukraine undefinedCat 1 1,420 07-26-2022, 05:10 AM
Last Post: OliverQuinn80
  pinetime shipping user641 4 3,695 01-15-2022, 01:13 PM
Last Post: sal
  Poll: Move production outside of China? KNERD 10 9,525 04-22-2021, 02:23 PM
Last Post: xalius
  Discussion of Moving Production Outside of China LittleWalter 76 80,846 04-01-2021, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Xzska-collab
  UBports CE / Q2 PBP batch shipping info and support Luke 6 8,672 01-13-2021, 07:37 AM
Last Post: mixmax
  Pinecil stuck in shipping? mbreese 3 4,770 01-07-2021, 07:46 AM
Last Post: moxx
  Ordering Pinephone - Error in Shipping cost calculation Iolaum 1 3,399 07-19-2020, 02:22 PM
Last Post: SpoofyKid
  Sales channels like Ebay's Global Shipping Program and Amazon asoltesz 3 5,004 02-03-2019, 03:48 AM
Last Post: asoltesz
  Shipping time on a Rock64 package to the US jhereg 14 19,850 10-17-2018, 11:36 AM
Last Post: tllim