unable to install applications
I just this week received the PineTab2 running DanctNIX Arch from Pine64. 

When I try to use the Discover application to install more applications, I get error messages. 

Immediately after starting the table, when I first start the Discover application, it first says this:  "Unable to Lock Database".  Then it shows me another message, "No Metadata URIs for vendor directory". 

Then when I try to install an application I get this error message:  "PakageKit Daemon has crashed". 

I don't know what these messages are telling me, nor how I go about fixing whatever problem(s) they are cryptically telling me exist. 

(I realize this is posted under Arch Linux on PinePhone, but I couldn't find a category for Arch Linux on the PineTab.  I figured that since my question is focused on the Arch Linux software that this would be the more fitting place.)
I also get the " "No Metadata URIs for vendor directory". But, it doesn't seem to cause a problem using Discover. Others are getting it, too.

It's probably the locked database thats making it unable to refresh. When this happened to me on my Pinephone Pro, I deleted the file db.lck

$ sudo rm /var/lib/pacman/db.lck

and then tried again. It worked.

Im not an expert. Please use due diligence before taking my advice. I dont think it will harm anything to try. But, in the past I've thought that just before I started saying bad words.

Btw, you can go into settings on Discover and uncheck vendor directory and it will make the other message go away. It is apparently not used.
Pinephone Pro enthusiast and SUPER-HYPED for PineTab 2! PT2 is AWESOME!
Former electrical engineer. Current rancher.

I know a lot about a few things, a little about a lot of things and am ignorant of an unknown number of things.
Disover does not work well for system (pacman) packages on Arch and Arch-based distributions, because the PackageKit alpm backend is buggy and poorly maintained (see, e.g., https://forum.manjaro.org/t/discover-sys...ble/110378).
(06-08-2023, 08:11 AM)Kevin Kofler Wrote: Disover does not work well for system (pacman) packages on Arch and Arch-based distributions, because the PackageKit alpm backend is buggy and poorly maintained (see, e.g., https://forum.manjaro.org/t/discover-sys...ble/110378).

Thanks to both of you.  Deleting the lock file seems to have fixed the packagekit problem.  

I read the linik about the problems with the Discover application.  Can't say I fully understood all of it - especially since this pinetab is my first ever exposure to Arch Linux.  So, here's my question:  

For the PineTab2, what is the recommended way to update the OS, to update applications, and to search for and innstall new non-flatpak applications?
The best working frontend I found is the Pamac GTK frontend. But it is not packaged in Arch Linux, only in AUR and in third-party repositories. You can find it, e.g., in the Archdroid repository: https://archdroid.org/packages/pamac-aur/.

Of course, you could theoretically also get it from Manjaro (which is the upstream for Pamac), but the Manjaro repositories also mirror all the Arch packages, so it is not a good idea to enable those repositories on Arch. (Unless you want to disable the Arch ones and convert the installation to a Manjaro installation, but that is something neither Arch nor Manjaro support, so I do not recommend attempting that.) You are better off using a small add-on repository for Arch such as Archdroid.

Otherwise, I can only recommend the pacman CLI. Any PackageKit frontend (KDE/Plasma Discover, GNOME Software, etc.) is going to work poorly.
To update the OS from the command line, open a terminal (like Konsole) and type:

sudo pacman -Syu

then enter your password when it asks for it.

At this point, you are probably only going to see 1 updated file. Danct12 has mentioned that there are others currently building, but haven't been released yet, I believe. Glad the other stuff helped.
Pinephone Pro enthusiast and SUPER-HYPED for PineTab 2! PT2 is AWESOME!
Former electrical engineer. Current rancher.

I know a lot about a few things, a little about a lot of things and am ignorant of an unknown number of things.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone AND/OR PinePhone Pro Arch Complete Install and Setup mikehenson 2 2,280 01-14-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: shifras
  How to install arch with FDE user641 3 803 01-11-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Latest update broke my install user641 8 3,743 02-22-2023, 05:54 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  new to pacman. Trying to install VIM, getting a 404 when it tries to download. willyray 1 1,166 12-24-2022, 11:00 PM
Last Post: shulamy
  Waydroid on Arch Linux ARM install guide? tk1107 3 5,613 10-08-2022, 07:46 AM
Last Post: PineFone
  Help to execute script to install arch with FDE user641 5 3,549 07-03-2022, 09:25 PM
Last Post: RTP
  How to install dependencies for Gajim? tk1107 13 9,689 03-13-2022, 11:10 PM
Last Post: tk1107
  Can't update or install software P3TER 31 23,696 02-12-2022, 05:07 PM
Last Post: IHaveALinuxPhone
  How to install pamac? tk1107 7 5,801 12-30-2021, 12:13 PM
Last Post: tk1107
  Can't install arch-phosh with dd, only with etcher. pineuser0 5 4,044 11-23-2021, 07:32 PM
Last Post: cabbie001