Complete noob to the Pinephone 64, cannot set time and date.
My new Pinephone 64 arrived today. I finally was able to do the Setup routine; it's not at all intuitive. I was able to make a call, so it connects with the network (Koodo in Alberta, Canada) OK. But I cannot get it to "see" the right time and date. Got the region set to America/Canada/Edmonton, so the time zone ought to be MOuntain Daylight time. Phone thinks it's something 3:15 A.M. on May 22, 2022. I know that ain't right. I have time/date set to automatic, so should it be pulling that off the cell tower? Changing time/date to "manual" didn't work, because I cannot make the wheels on that slot-machine display move in any sort of rational fashion by using the touch screen. I plugged in a keyboard via the hub, and was able to type letters and numbers into some fields, but the rolling number boxes for time/date are impervious to that. And my couple of hours of fruitless groping ran the battery down from 98% to 38%, so I have it on charge again.

It's running on the software that was on it when it came out of the box. No update as yet.
if you are running phosh, when you choose manual date and time
you have to tap it (the numbers) an you shuould get
the hours and minures with up and down arrows
the mounth with scroll arrow
and day annd year with + -
ezik
Automatic time setting works through NTP over the Internet, so it only works if you have wifi and/or mobile data set up correctly.
(05-30-2023, 05:56 AM)shulamy Wrote: if you are running phosh, when you choose manual date and time
you have to tap it (the numbers) an you shuould get
the hours and minures with up and down arrows
the mounth with scroll arrow
and day annd year with + -
ezik

Thank you. I was able to set the time, to within a minute, which will do for now, and the phone now shows correct time. But even though I got the date entry screen to show the right date, I was not able to make it stick. Damned phone still thinks it's April 29, 2022. Sometimes the touch screen seems over-sensitive, and other times it acts like it is inert. Not good. Does the "close" button make the settings take effect, or is it supposed to? Because it doesn't, and there doesn't appear to be an "apply" or "accept" button.
(05-30-2023, 07:04 AM)Kevin Kofler Wrote: Automatic time setting works through NTP over the Internet, so it only works if you have wifi and/or mobile data set up correctly.

Well, that explains why automatic time doesn't work. Pretty sure I have data turned off on my Koodo account, because I was using flip phones, and did not want not pay for it. I will get it turned on in due course. But I can set up a router here, and make it work via wifi. Leastwise I will try. Thank you
OK, set up wifi on my home router. Got the time/date working! Thank you kindly! I find the touchscreen very hard to use. Either it does not respond at all, or it does a wrong action in response to an errant touch. I don't know if this is typical of touch screens in general, or peculiar to this one. I see Pine makes a "keyboard case" that engages the phone via the pogo pins. Will that work with this phone, or only on the Pro?
assuming phosh, you can set it automatic or manual through user interface. if manual setup, i think there is delay when screen updates the time.

time is essentially ntp service on a background.

Code:
# if systemd
sudo systemctl status systemd-timesyncd.service

you could use commands "hwclock" and "date". hwclock sets and gets hardware clock. date sets o.s. time and also set harware time at the same time. keep in mind that hardware clock does not know timezone, it is assumed by the system.

Code:
# note iso format
sudo date -s "2023-05-30 17:12:00"

do not forget timezone. british timezone is not same as utc. what pinephone errornessly shows.
Well, time/date issue is solved, thanks to all who contributed. I discovered that the touch screen works much better after the second clear plastic cover was removed. One thing I noticed: got an incoming call this afternoon while messing with some settings, and picked up, and heard nothing. Then I found I had to hit the "speaker" button on the dialer page to get sound. I hope I don't have to do this every time.

If my cellular provider worked half as well as the phone does, I'd be turning cartwheels in traffic.
Note that the clear plastic cover that remains after you pull off the outer one (which is for shipping) is a screen protector designed to protect your LCD from scratches. Pulling that off means there is no protector at all. Though the plastic foil is not all that great a screen protector to begin with anyway. I would recommend a hardened glass screen protector. Those designed for the iPhone Xs Max / iPhone 11 Pro Max should fit perfectly if they have the front cam area cut out completely (and not just a hole for the precise location of the iPhone camera). I have one of those from some unknown "no-name" brand.
(05-31-2023, 02:20 AM)Kevin Kofler Wrote: Note that the clear plastic cover that remains after you pull off the outer one (which is for shipping) is a screen protector designed to protect your LCD from scratches. Pulling that off means there is no protector at all. Though the plastic foil is not all that great a screen protector to begin with anyway. I would recommend a hardened glass screen protector. Those designed for the iPhone Xs Max / iPhone 11 Pro Max should fit perfectly if they have the front cam area cut out completely (and not just a hole for the precise location of the iPhone camera). I have one of those from some unknown "no-name" brand.

Thanks. The action of the touch screen seems much more positive without that foil, though. I guess I will take my chances with scratches.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 6 534 04-22-2024, 02:22 AM
Last Post: bongosunny
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 337 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: aular
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 227 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 108,839 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,772 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 597 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,332 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 489 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,671 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,932 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma