Pinephone and open source firmware for baseband
(05-27-2023, 07:54 PM)justneedsomedatathanks Wrote: Pine64 appears to be quite honest. They plaster the store page with disclaimers saying the Pinephone is not a consumer-ready product and give customers the right expectations. The worst I found was an off-hand comment on the marketing page saying the Pinephone is for you if you "work in a security-focused field", which isn't really true because of how far behind Linux is compared to both iOS and Android.

i tend to disagree little bit. i have heard that gnu/linux is lower on security than ios or android, probably mostly on app isolation, in gnu/linux world, ordinary user has quite wide permissions, where in android and ios every app is isolated more or less. however, in android and especially in ios, user are dependent on apple and google for security, it is centralized. maybe in android it can be circumvented somewhat by modifications, but still relies on google's eco system indirectly. so in gnu/linux world, if user knows the flaws, they can be fixed or circumvented, and not being dependent on apple's or google's policies.

in short, i don't think centralization bring security in longer term.

(05-28-2023, 12:14 AM)Kevin Kofler Wrote: What the posts by GrapheneOS complain about are that even in Biktorgj's modem firmware, the DSP firmware is still the same proprietary blob as in the completely proprietary firmware, and they claim that this is not properly communicated by Pine64. In the end, it all amounts to disagreeing on what "modem firmware" and/or "baseband firmware" really means (and whether they are the same thing or different things).  Biktorgj himself is pretty upfront on what his firmware replaces with Free Software and what not, in any case.

in my view, graphenos has technical truth over there, i just don't see how pixel is better on this area (or most other devices). so, it is how this technical truth is used.

graphenos boasts heavily about signing keys for graphenos. but they use google's pixel's bootloader for that. so it's dependent on google for that. even with signing keys, graphenos has control or google with bootloader, not necessarily the user. can someone build a android kernel with own signing keys and upload those keys into pixel, i think it is possible, who would do that. anyway, bootloader code is still google' code and control.

what i learned from android over the years, is that "oem unlock" is not total unlock. fastboot and bootloader may still have limitations for users. so, oem unlock is more like partial unlock.

just theorizing, if re-button is physically blocked. someone could do a special bootloader for the spi memory, and it asks either a password or has signing keys. so it guarantees secure boot for a user. and if re-button is blocked, it cannot be overrided. weirdest part is, user can vefiry spi code and flash it. this starts to sound de-centralized. (off course the re-button). personally i don't need this, but i think bootloader needs to be controlled by users.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pinephone and open source firmware for baseband - by zetabeta - 05-28-2023, 07:31 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinephone boot. Richy_T 4 140 05-06-2024, 08:32 AM
Last Post: Richy_T
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 9 914 05-03-2024, 10:09 AM
Last Post: laserpyramid
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 455 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: aular
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 308 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 111,229 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,962 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 691 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,622 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 562 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,820 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler