PinePhone Pro battery life at the beginning of 2023?
Hi there,

just a short question to the PinePhone Pro owners:

How is the battery life today?

I've often read it is very bad (worse than normal PinePhone) BUT this statements were all from 2021, and I guess things have changed a bit (like they did for the normal PinePhone earlier) - So how it is today?
Is the battery life at least as 'good' as on the normal/classic PinePhone (non-Pro)?
My normal PinePhone today just manages to get me through a work day (which is not great but OK... but shorter battery life would be a problem), would be the Pro be comparable today?
(And please add your operation system in the answer, perhaps it makes a difference.)

Thanks for any reply!!  Smile

Best Regards,
dante404
Using encrypted Mobian (bookworm) on pmOS CE Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) as Daily Driver, and Beta Edition Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) with encrypted Mobian (bookworm) as Backup device.
(02-13-2023, 02:28 AM)dante404 Wrote: Hi there,

just a short question to the PinePhone Pro owners:

How is the battery life today?

I've often read it is very bad (worse than normal PinePhone) BUT this statements were all from 2021, and I guess things have changed a bit (like they did for the normal PinePhone earlier) - So how it is today?
Is the battery life at least as 'good' as on the normal/classic PinePhone (non-Pro)?
My normal PinePhone today just manages to get me through a work day (which is not great but OK... but shorter battery life would be a problem), would be the Pro be comparable today?
(And please add your operation system in the answer, perhaps it makes a difference.)

Thanks for any reply!!  Smile

Best Regards,
dante404
4 to 6 hrs for me.  The Older PP batteries work fine in the Pro.
(02-13-2023, 09:24 AM)iwm Wrote: 4 to 6 hrs for me.  The Older PP batteries work fine in the Pro.
Thank you for your reply! Smile
Sorry, another question: "4 to 6 hrs" active or with (longer) deep sleep phases or...?
My classic PinePhone gets me through a 12 hours day without charging, but really used (browsing and messaging) is it only for about 2 hours maximum (summarized) I guess, the rest of the time it sleeps. Do you think the Pro would do similar today? Smile
Using encrypted Mobian (bookworm) on pmOS CE Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) as Daily Driver, and Beta Edition Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) with encrypted Mobian (bookworm) as Backup device.
My Pro runs down pretty fast.  Does hold most of charge if not turned on for the day.  I have not tested the percentage of leakage. I would venture to say maybe 5% / hour.
(02-14-2023, 10:10 AM)iwm Wrote: My Pro runs down pretty fast.  Does hold most of charge if not turned on for the day.  I have not tested the percentage of leakage. I would venture to say maybe 5% / hour.
Thank you for sharing your experiences!
That would mean... it would last somewhat about 20 hours if on but in sleep mode all the time.
What would you think/guess it loses (percentage) if actively used for about an hour (just display, wifi, browsing, no video streaming or stuff like that) ? Just a spontaneous wild guess please (I know you can't tell exactly of course)...? Smile
It's really sad (especially for a product like PinePhone Pro) that all the tech websites and youtubers out there only review stuff when it's "new and hot!!!"... and never come back to check how things have changed for example 1 year after product release (about battery life and other areas). Sad
(Perhaps a "revisit" doesn't generate as much klicks for them, I don't know.)
No PinePhone Pro-user wanting to share his expierence? Sad
Would be important if it could at least "make it through a day" with not excessive usage (like OG PP).
I guess there must be also some people here who have used both PinePhone variants in the last months and know if there is still any noticable difference in battery life (or not)... Sad
(02-22-2023, 03:08 AM)dante404 Wrote: No PinePhone Pro-user wanting to share his expierence? Sad
Would be important if it could at least "make it through a day" with not excessive usage (like OG PP).
I guess there must be also some people here who have used both PinePhone variants in the last months and know if there is still any noticable difference in battery life (or not)... Sad

Hi!

I have been tinkering with PPP now like one week.
I am still trying to find out what the fck is going on with PPP audio because it is really really mess Big Grin - so I can't really daily drive it perfectly.
If someone knows image where audio works nearly flawless without need to use wired headphones or similar I would like hear Smile
(I have tried pmos, mobian, manjaro and arch)

BUT I think I have good news for you and other who are considering PPP.
In my use case and IMO (not a fact but this is how I see it) PPP battery life is as good or even better if I compare it to over a year old PP.
If I use PPP it will drain faster yes but if I compare what I can do with it for example in 5 minutes the difference to PP and PPP is like night and day.
So for example reading daily headlines trough Firefox will take 5 minutes with PPP and 15 minutes with PP

Hope this helps. I will write more and even more when I found out how I can achieve working audio with PPP Big Grin
(02-22-2023, 11:31 AM)alaraajavamma Wrote: BUT I think I have good news for you and other who are considering PPP.
In my use case and IMO (not a fact but this is how I see it) PPP battery life is as good or even better if I compare it to over a year old PP.
If I use PPP it will drain faster yes but if I compare what I can do with it for example in 5 minutes the difference to PP and PPP is like night and day.
So for example reading daily headlines trough Firefox will take 5 minutes with PPP and 15 minutes with PP

Hope this helps. I will write more and even more when I found out how I can achieve working audio with PPP Big Grin

Thank you very much, that's great to hear and very interesting! Smile

(Sad though that audio is still such a mess on PPP it seems Sad , I will search for additional information about this.)
(02-22-2023, 11:31 AM)alaraajavamma Wrote:
(02-22-2023, 03:08 AM)dante404 Wrote: No PinePhone Pro-user wanting to share his expierence? Sad

- so I can't really daily drive it perfectly.
If someone knows image where audio works nearly flawless without need to use wired headphones or similar I would like hear Smile
(I have tried pmos, mobian, manjaro and arch)

my main problem with PP is that modem drains battery very quickly when in a call. So it would be interesting how PPP permors in a call. How many hours can it be used for talking over GSM?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Pinephone Pro for a Debian user? primesocial 2 118 04-15-2024, 03:01 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  PinePhone Pro silver lining, it’s fast, real damn fast ashoka232 0 456 03-20-2024, 01:45 AM
Last Post: ashoka232
  PinePhone Pro Black Screen CrimsenRaven 2 346 03-16-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: tmoj
  PinePhone Pro Review tmoj 2 605 03-14-2024, 07:14 AM
Last Post: tmoj
  Can't boot Pinephone Pro into Factory Test Build for Hardware Checking jydoxcen 3 682 02-17-2024, 04:04 AM
Last Post: fxc
Question Phone call with the pinephone pro dfs 5 4,184 02-10-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Average Joe review of Pinephone Pro (March 2023) alaraajavamma 6 10,197 01-06-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
Question T-Mobile and Pinephone Pro in the US jydoxcen 4 793 01-02-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
  Pinephone Pro Screen Protector jydoxcen 11 1,368 12-21-2023, 07:58 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Pinephone Pro does not start with RE button pressed c0ssan 10 5,310 09-28-2023, 09:21 AM
Last Post: R0bbi3Mack