How reflash my eMMC?
Hi. My eMMC has been bricked for quite a while - I can't get a keyboard to type in my password.  I'm finally getting around to wanting to boot that way again instead of continuing to use the software on my SD card.  I have found the following directions.  I have installed TowBoot and want to know if that will change anything.  Also, I assume that the OS I download to the SD card has to be prepared by Etcher or something like that, right? 

Here's what I found on the wiki:

1. Boot an operating system from the microSD card. If there is already a bootloader on the eMMC installed see the section Boot order to bypass it.
  2. Download or copy the desired image to the microSD card as file
  3. Check if the eMMC appears under
    Code:
    lsblk
    . If it doesn't appear in the output of the command, the eMMC wasn't initialized due to applying the above explained bypass method for a too long time during the boot
  4. Important: Typically the image will be compressed in an archive file to reduce the download size (such as .gz or .xz). Extract the image from its archive file to get the file with the file extension .img.
  5. Flash the image file using
    Code:
    sudo dd if=IMAGE.img of=/dev/mmcblk2 bs=1M status=progress conv=fsync
    (replace IMAGE.img with the filename of the image you want to flash and make sure it has the file extension .img).
  6. Reboot the PinePhone Pro

Sorry the commands pasted funny.  Thanks in advance.
(11-29-2022, 02:51 PM)IHaveALinuxPhone Wrote: Hi. My eMMC has been bricked for quite a while - I can't get a keyboard to type in my password.  I'm finally getting around to wanting to boot that way again instead of continuing to use the software on my SD card.  I have found the following directions.  I have installed TowBoot and want to know if that will change anything.  Also, I assume that the OS I download to the SD card has to be prepared by Etcher or something like that, right? 

Here's what I found on the wiki:

1. Boot an operating system from the microSD card. If there is already a bootloader on the eMMC installed see the section Boot order to bypass it.
  2. Download or copy the desired image to the microSD card as file
  3. Check if the eMMC appears under
    Code:
    lsblk
    . If it doesn't appear in the output of the command, the eMMC wasn't initialized due to applying the above explained bypass method for a too long time during the boot
  4. Important: Typically the image will be compressed in an archive file to reduce the download size (such as .gz or .xz). Extract the image from its archive file to get the file with the file extension .img.
  5. Flash the image file using
    Code:
    sudo dd if=IMAGE.img of=/dev/mmcblk2 bs=1M status=progress conv=fsync
    (replace IMAGE.img with the filename of the image you want to flash and make sure it has the file extension .img).
  6. Reboot the PinePhone Pro

Sorry the commands pasted funny.  Thanks in advance.

Simply download an image on the phone (which you booted with the microSD card), extract the image from the archive file and write it to the eMMC with the mentioned dd command. There is no need to use Etcher, the dd command writes the image to the eMMC.
Worked nicely. Thanks a lot.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question The Case of the Vanishing EMMC DieSkaarj 8 2,610 04-20-2023, 03:27 AM
Last Post: DieSkaarj
  Mobian + tow boot + emmc flash = boot loop spropine 4 3,152 12-31-2022, 09:14 AM
Last Post: mburns
  R U running from eMMC -- If so how? tckosvic 19 12,292 06-14-2022, 08:47 AM
Last Post: bobjrsenior
  Not Bypassing the eMMC meansbs 3 2,284 04-02-2022, 06:25 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Re-flash the emmc For_lack_of_a_better_name 5 2,947 03-31-2022, 08:31 AM
Last Post: ragreenburg
  Please help! Can't install Mobian to eMMC Barugon 4 2,652 03-01-2022, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Barugon
  PPP Explorer Edition - Wipe eMMC The3DmaN 7 5,407 02-01-2022, 04:34 AM
Last Post: dukla2000
  Erasing the eMMC | Pinephone Pro Vermi 4 5,370 01-26-2022, 01:46 PM
Last Post: dukla2000