R U running from eMMC -- If so how?
I would like to know if anyone is running PPP from eMMC system memory (not an SD) without major issues.  I think that is a necessary step to be a "daily driver".

What OS/desktop are you using?
How did you install to the system memory; not an SD card?
Any quirky performance issues that you see frequently?

thanks,  I am so looking to move the PPP to my main cell phone.  I want to toss my samsung android asap.

tom kosvic
Yes (not as a DD though)

Mobian (switched to unstable)
(I just like running Debian on everything)

bmaptool from a mobian image on uSD card, but I could also just have used good old dd

Still "need" to convert as much as possible of the FS from ext4 to btrfs...
ext4 seems to have forgotten to implement snapshots (and maybe compression)

I also started by compiling and ensuring I could use rkdeveloptool just in case.

I'm also currently having tow-boot installed as the SPI bootloader

power management seems to be "broken" (as was expected)
And I have seen a reboot from time to time, for instance this evening it rebooted as I plugged in a USB-C dock (have been paying with getting 4K output on it)

Also haven't played with using the modem yet.

I too have a quite nice Samsung phone I hope to retire one day, sure the hardware is great (performance wise , way too many closed source components).
The software not so much, hell will probably have been melted by global warming before it would be possible to run Linux / BSD on it.
Step 1. Install Tow-boot from sdcard
Step 2. Hold volume up while powering on to mount the eMMC over usb (Basically jumpdrive for Pinephone Pro)
Step 3. Install Manjaro by writing the image to the eMMC via mounted storage from my computer.
Step 4. I use my unofficial battery case to make the Pinephone Pro last all day with suspend disabled. I can make and receive calls, SMS, and MMS, all are all working. Daily drivable.
(02-17-2022, 02:46 PM)talpa Wrote: Still "need" to convert as much as possible of the FS from ext4 to btrfs...
ext4 seems to have forgotten to implement snapshots (and maybe compression)

https://github.com/K-arch27/pinebtrfs
basic way of achieving Btrfs Fs , I got snapper working on mine
(02-17-2022, 03:31 PM)lllsondowlll Wrote: Step 1. Install Tow-boot from sdcard
Step 2. Hold volume up while powering on to mount the eMMC over usb (Basically jumpdrive for Pinephone Pro)
Step 3. Install Manjaro by writing the image to the eMMC via mounted storage from my computer.
Step 4. I use my unofficial battery case to make the Pinephone Pro last all day with suspend disabled. I can make and receive calls, SMS, and MMS, all are all working. Daily drivable.
thanks, will give this a try.  You're first one to confirm mms working.  That's a big step forward for me.

R u using phosh desktop?  I am finding that better performing than plasma at present.
(02-17-2022, 04:25 PM)tckosvic Wrote:
thanks, will give this a try.  You're first one to confirm mms working.  That's a big step forward for me.

R u using phosh desktop?  I am finding that better performing than plasma at present.

ok, I give up and will ask how to compile towboot to get an img file to install on SD.

Firstly, here are two towboots on github.  I want to confirm that you have sucessfully used the one called Tow-Boot by samueldf: not towboot by YtvwID.
What needs to be done to compile this?  openSUSE does not have any compiler called nix that is what appears to be needed.  Need a step-by-step instruction set to get towboot to a point where it can be installed on an sd.

thanks,      tom kosvic
(02-17-2022, 06:03 PM)tckosvic Wrote:
(02-17-2022, 04:25 PM)tckosvic Wrote:

ok, I give up and will ask how to compile towboot to get an img file to install on SD.

Firstly, here are two towboots on github.  I want to confirm that you have sucessfully used the one called Tow-Boot by samueldf: not towboot by YtvwID.
What needs to be done to compile this?  openSUSE does not have any compiler called nix that is what appears to be needed.  Need a step-by-step instruction set to get towboot to a point where it can be installed on an sd.

thanks,      tom kosvic

Precompiled SPI installer can be found here 
https://github.com/Tow-Boot/Tow-Boot/pull/67

Download the WIP4 image for PInephone Pro, extract it, flash the SPI installer image to your SD card, hold volume down when powering on the phone, click install.

That's it, now you have Tow-boot.

Powering on + vol up = eMMC mount over USB
Powering on + vol down = Boot from SD card
Powering on = boot to eMMC
Powering on + vol up = eMMC mount over USB ==> As in an external USB drive ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(02-18-2022, 02:24 AM)bcnaz Wrote: Powering on + vol up = eMMC mount over USB  ==>  As in an external USB drive ?

Yes exactly !

Also to answer the OP , Yes I'm running from emmc !

What OS/desktop are you using? Danct12 Archlinux Phosh But on a Btrfs partition With snapper

How did you install to the system memory; not an SD card? by flashing tow-boot to my spi and then connecting over to USB and flashing my image

Any quirky performance issues that you see frequently? Nothing different than when i was running from SD, maybe a bit faster ? but not really tested just a feeling
On my PPP I was finally able to get the WIP4 tow-boot SPI installer to boot by holding down the reset switch and spamming volume down while booting, but when I tell it to install, it fails with:

Error: /dev/mtdblock0 not found

and

spi-nor spi0.0:
unrecognized JEDEC id bytes ff ff ff ff ff ff
spi-nor: probe of spi0.0 failed with -2

Has anyone else seen anything like this? For reference, this is from the first january batch of explorer editions. I would suspect a differing SPI flash chip perhaps due to chip shortages, but the "all ff's" tell me it's probably more likely related to the nasty reset thing I had to do to get it to boot in the first place. Has anyone else had similar issues trying to boot the spi installer, or using it?

Oddly enough, WIP3 installs.. odd... Maybe I can now install WIP4. Will update.

Confirmed. If you have the above errors with WIP4, try doing the following:

With WIP3 loaded SD card in the phone, reinstall battery and hold the reset and volume down buttons while powering up the phone. hold these until you see the Tow-Boot installer. Install WIP3. Then do the same thing with the WIP4 installer, without messing with the reset button.

Now to enjoy the full speed of my PPP, and with the SD card being a home or ext. data partition, as it should be!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question The Case of the Vanishing EMMC DieSkaarj 8 2,656 04-20-2023, 03:27 AM
Last Post: DieSkaarj
  Mobian + tow boot + emmc flash = boot loop spropine 4 3,197 12-31-2022, 09:14 AM
Last Post: mburns
  How reflash my eMMC? IHaveALinuxPhone 2 1,444 12-01-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: IHaveALinuxPhone
  RK3399S running warm LPIZ 8 4,584 05-15-2022, 03:49 PM
Last Post: henrythemouse
  Not Bypassing the eMMC meansbs 3 2,319 04-02-2022, 06:25 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Re-flash the emmc For_lack_of_a_better_name 5 2,982 03-31-2022, 08:31 AM
Last Post: ragreenburg
  Please help! Can't install Mobian to eMMC Barugon 4 2,694 03-01-2022, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Barugon
  PPP Explorer Edition - Wipe eMMC The3DmaN 7 5,498 02-01-2022, 04:34 AM
Last Post: dukla2000
  Erasing the eMMC | Pinephone Pro Vermi 4 5,426 01-26-2022, 01:46 PM
Last Post: dukla2000