netflix ect.
how do I setup my pp to stream netflix?
(10-05-2022, 09:43 AM)rvh Wrote: how do I setup my pp to stream netflix?

See related conversation here:
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8828

Because of some law things it is not that simple - Netflix requires Widevine and I think widevine is married to Google so some law disables option to ship widevine with distributions or repositories or something.

My own suggestion is that use some other device to watch Netflix Big Grin (if you get it working you can watch you favorite show something like 30-60 minutes before battery goes to zero or if you are charging same time you get so damn hot phone that it most likely crashes the os)
this is what i dont get, Streaming on my linux computer with firefox works great so why not on my phone?
(10-05-2022, 11:49 AM)rvh Wrote: this is what i dont get, Streaming on my linux computer with firefox works great so why not on my phone?

The PinePhone uses a completely different chip than any usual PC, laptop, or Android phone. The closed-source DRM software that allows things like Netflix, is not provided for many chip architectures.

From this thread, and the other one asking about F-Droid, you seem to expect the PinePhone to do everyday useful things that ordinary computers or phones do. That is not the case, the PinePhone is still an immature device lacking in a lot of features. And even when you can get it to do certain things, that requires deep knowledge of Linux hacking. So, if you really want to get much out of the PinePhone, I recommend studying Linux more intensively.
yes you are right, my expectations are to high. i just want it to work so bad. so i guess ill put it in a drawer for a while.
(10-06-2022, 06:13 PM)rvh Wrote: yes you are right, my expectations are to high. i just want it to work so bad. so i guess ill put it in a drawer for a while.
A real linux user does not use netflix!
(10-06-2022, 06:13 PM)rvh Wrote: yes you are right, my expectations are to high. i just want it to work so bad. so i guess ill put it in a drawer for a while.

Why not using Popcorn Time (free software under GPL) instead of a proprietary software? You'll have to recompile it for ARM.
(10-05-2022, 11:49 AM)rvh Wrote: this is what i dont get, Streaming on my linux computer with firefox works great so why not on my phone?

Because Google have given Mozilla the necessary proprietary Widevine decryption binary for x86_64 linux (your desktop) but not for aarch64 linux (your phone). See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1612995 for the open issue that won't be going anywhere until Google decide it can. It's a corporate political issue not a technical one. The situation used to be similar for Chromium , with some people extracting the binary from ChromeOS to use with the Raspberry Pi, but now Raspberry Pi OS has the libwidevinecdm0 package.