Pine A64 not powering up / Power button missing
I assembled the case and powered up the board, download the Debian image and used Win32 diskimager to write the microSD card. I use a 2.0A, 5V power supply.
The power led turns red, but I get no signal on the TV. 

So I read that a separate power/reset button should be included but I didn't find any in the box.
How do I turn on the Pine64 without a power button? And how can I get the power button replaced?

Thanks.
Normally your board would power up as soon as you insert the micro-USB cable from your PSU, no need to press any buttons.

Have you tried any other images? 
Are you using a full HD TV (1080p) and a known good HDMI cable? 
Did you connect to your network with a cable or wifi? (the boot process pauses for several minutes if no network is connected)
Did you check your router if an IP address was assigned to your board?

The button was a stretch goal from Kickstarter. If you are a KS backer you should have received it but I wouldn't worry too much if you didn't: A) they're only a few cents a piece on ebay, B) the button doesn't work with Linux anyway (the board powers up and then down again after a few seconds if you don't have a battery attached) and C) let the Pine team concentrate on bigger issues.
Backer #16374 - KS funded January 23rd 2016 - Backerkit funded on March 10th 2016 - BOARD RECEIVED ON JUNE 29th - BACKERKIT ORDER FULFILLED ON SEPT 8th
1. Do you use direct HDMI output or HDMI->DVI converter ?
If you use direct HDMI i think you should search in forum for this issue : looks like there is some synchro problems with HDMI output measured in mili secs and I think it is already solved, but you should search for it. Personally i use HDMI->VGA converter bought from PINE and it works well with my monitor (for now).
2. Regarding power button , there is also issue: It is not functional if you use it without battery. Your device will power on for a short and then power off. You need connected battery with some operational status (full, half full, etc) in order when you press power button your system could turn on. So, my recomendation is no to bother with it till something is figured out how to fix this issue. Just shut down your OS, unplug power supply and turn it on when you want it again.
Regards,
(07-05-2016, 12:16 AM)janeku Wrote: 2. Regarding power button , there is also issue: It is not functional if you use it without battery. Your device will power on for a short and then power off. You need connected battery with some operational status (full, half full, etc) in order when you press power button your system could turn on. So, my recomendation is no to bother with it till something is figured out how to fix this issue. Just shut down your OS, unplug power supply and turn it on when you want it again.
Regards,

I've experienced this with a linux boot, but not android or remix. Power button works fine with android/remix, to boot or shutdown, no battery attached. I don't have a battery as yet, so not sure if that takes care of the linux issue and being able to use the power button to initiate boot.

Power button is also functional for powering down with debian and debian mate (https://www.pine64.pro/downloads/) which I tried for the first time last evening. (Based on first impressions, it may very well become my go-to debian image.). a quick press gives shutdown options..reboot or shutdown.

Anyone else seeing power button problems when a battery is not attached? I just might be misunderstanding the scenario janeku is describing.
you are correct, the power button is somewhat functional without a battery in that it will bring up the shutdown menu when the pine64 is on, running debian anyway, the only o/s i have tested. the reset gives a hard shutdown when the pine64 is on.
(07-05-2016, 07:40 AM)dkryder Wrote: you are correct, the power button is somewhat functional without a battery in that it will bring up the shutdown menu when the pine64 is on,  running debian anyway, the only o/s i have tested. the reset gives a hard shutdown when the pine64 is on.

It appears to be similar to, if not the same as, suspend mode. Another press of the reset button (or the power button for that matter) reboots and brings you back up.

I'm in no way, shape, or form a linux guru, so while the behaviors may be similar, not sure if there is a difference between true "suspend" mode, and a reset button induced suspend mode as we're seeing.
Powerbutton works fine on Ubuntu without a battery (don't have one yet). The powerbutton has some basic functions as it is connected to the PMIC, like power-on and hard power-off if you keep it pressed long enough (>10s iirc). Besides that it generates an interrupt on the A64 an then it is completely up to the software (drivers and userpsace) what happens, so your experience varies according to what kernel/os/desktop etc you are running.
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
(07-05-2016, 12:16 PM)xalius Wrote: Powerbutton works fine on Ubuntu without a battery (don't have one yet). The powerbutton has some basic functions as it is connected to the PMIC, like power-on and hard power-off if you keep it pressed long enough (>10s iirc). Besides that it generates an interrupt on the A64 an then it is completely up to the software (drivers and userpsace) what happens, so your experience varies according to what kernel/os/desktop etc you are running.

Hm... so can you power on your pine64 just by pressing the button (without a battery, of course!)? If so, I wonder what is different about the ubuntu distro then... as something is configured differently to the debian distro I've been running.
(07-06-2016, 04:06 AM)pfeerick Wrote:
(07-05-2016, 12:16 PM)xalius Wrote: Powerbutton works fine on Ubuntu without a battery (don't have one yet). The powerbutton has some basic functions as it is connected to the PMIC, like power-on and hard power-off if you keep it pressed long enough (>10s iirc). Besides that it generates an interrupt on the A64 an then it is completely up to the software (drivers and userpsace) what happens, so your experience varies according to what kernel/os/desktop etc you are running.

Hm... so can you power on your pine64 just by pressing the button (without a battery, of course!)? If so, I wonder what is different about the ubuntu distro then... as something is configured differently to the debian distro I've been running.

I've not been able to "power on" either debian image I have tried. Have shutdown menu and suspend capability as noted below. Have not tried ubuntu, so can't speak to that one. 

"Power on" capability is there for remix and android, as I'd expect.
So I am seeing something a little strange regarding power button behavior, and I've been able to consistently reproduce the behavior...

If I boot a remix or android image, do a shutdown (so power still connected, pine shut down, no red LED), and then insert the debian image, a press of the power button will allow the debian image to boot.

If I then do a shutdown of the linux boot, I can no longer do as noted above...(where I press the power button and the debian image boots). I get what I was seeing yesterday as typical behavior trying to do a power button press to boot a debian image..red LED for a few seconds, then off.

My theory at this point is, doing the shutdown on the non-linux image leaves the PMIC in a state that is different from the state that a linux shutdown (or a complete disconnect of power) leaves it? So its then responsive to booting the linux image...?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PINE A64 SBC: Clone of a functional 32GB SD card doesn't boot burningkrome 3 1,487 05-19-2023, 07:43 AM
Last Post: crocspot
  PINE A64 Ubuntu 18 or 20 IMG with touchscreen? burningkrome 0 545 04-29-2023, 05:13 AM
Last Post: burningkrome
  Pine A64 does only boot with Android 5.1 Dude 6 3,745 07-03-2022, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Dude
  Pine A64+ vs LCD do not boot DDS 3 5,849 02-23-2021, 05:33 PM
Last Post: thedu
  Autodetect if Pine unit is a Pine A64+ or PineA64-LTS pkfpeters 1 3,233 02-09-2021, 12:17 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Pine 64 | 2GB x2 & Acrylic Cases x2 for Sale | Canada - GTA ViperVi 1 4,412 01-18-2021, 03:45 PM
Last Post: squidius
  sd format?for pine 64 angegardien 3 7,594 12-06-2020, 03:53 PM
Last Post: junkyj753
  Pine64+ power button PaddyChan 0 2,726 09-14-2020, 09:55 AM
Last Post: PaddyChan
  Node Red on the Pine DonFL 0 2,725 12-16-2019, 04:21 PM
Last Post: DonFL
Photo Pine A64+ from Kick starter running Pi-Hole netHolio 0 3,199 12-02-2019, 09:36 PM
Last Post: netHolio