Can only hear/speak during a phone call when on speakerphone
Music 
Hi. I have a new problem with my Pinephone, which is running the latest stable Majaro ARM w/ Phosh.

When I make a call, I cannot hear the phone ring, and when the receiver answers, I can't hear them and they can't hear me.

If I press the "speaker" button and switch to speakerphone, I can hear and be heard, but with a nasty echo audible on the receiver's end.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? What do you think might be the cause?

I had another problem with telephony earlier this month that was resolved, but now this new problem has emerged. The former problem was discussed here: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=14857

The only thing I've done with my phone recently that may have caused a problem was a failed attempt to install Signal protocols, Could that have possibly interfered with these functions?

More importantly, as I use Pinephone as my "daily driver"... how might I fix this problem? TIA.  Cool
For byte-sized tech and software tips check out my Danimations Digital Media tips channel on Youtube Big Grin
I have this "bug", it's a hardware issue.

At the service centre they told me that the solders had cracked. Unfortunately the problem for me is irreparable, because the service even if they fix it - the problem comes back after a few days.

I will try to buy a magnetic cable (I suspect the problem is caused by USB) and have it permanently plugged in.

As you want to do a test - if the connection still exists with the speaker, start the music and try to insert and remove the USB cable. Sometimes you will hear something from the speaker, sometimes it will stay (but unfortunately due to vibrations, the speaker will stop working again).
(09-25-2021, 11:01 AM)danimations Wrote: Hi. I have a new problem with my Pinephone, which is running the latest stable Majaro ARM w/ Phosh.

When I make a call, I cannot hear the phone ring, and when the receiver answers, I can't hear them and they can't hear me.

If I press the "speaker" button and switch to speakerphone, I can hear and be heard, but with a nasty echo audible on the receiver's end.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? What do you think might be the cause?

I had another problem with telephony earlier this month that was resolved, but now this new problem has emerged. The former problem was discussed here: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=14857

The only thing I've done with my phone recently that may have caused a problem was a failed attempt to install Signal protocols, Could that have possibly interfered with these functions?

More importantly, as I use Pinephone as my "daily driver"... how might I fix this problem? TIA.  Cool
1)  for the echo,  try turning down the microphone input volume.
        For me that reduced the noise a lot that the other person hears,  a big  'improvement',  but not a total fix.
2) Easiest fix for your main problem would be a fresh installation,  but a hassle if you have a lot of stuff 'saved' on your existing installation.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
If I understand it correctly the audio paths between transducers and modem don't pass the audio through the alsa interfaces, so we can't use software echo cancellation. The modem is supposed to include echo cancellation, but the information I've found in the AT command manual sections on AT+QAUDMOD and AT+QEEC is extremely limited. It may not be being set up correctly, or indeed at all, and probably needs sending on audio profile change which probably falls outside the usual things an audio profile change can do.
Whatever the problem was, I updated my phone software today, and the problem is no more. Thanks for your thoughts and discussion, folks.
For byte-sized tech and software tips check out my Danimations Digital Media tips channel on Youtube Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New phone, KDE desktop settings reset on reboot zzb0 2 1,763 10-15-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  How to create folders and re-org my phone desktop? A better "Image Viewer" app? nbh 0 556 09-24-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: nbh
  Can't get ring on Manjaro Pine Phone thorensjubilee 12 3,511 06-09-2023, 04:40 AM
Last Post: thorensjubilee
  Unable to hear caller or speak after answering a call danimations 5 4,032 11-01-2022, 02:06 PM
Last Post: X0X0X0X0X0
  Weird call... Eugo 3 2,007 09-15-2022, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Eugo
  New issue with phone calls kmsgli 13 6,701 08-15-2022, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Gon
  Pinephone craches after each call neithan76 2 1,619 07-29-2022, 11:47 AM
Last Post: Chief
  Call waiting issue kmsgli 22 14,749 06-24-2022, 06:02 PM
Last Post: kmsgli
  Can't call or receive calls PJK2012 3 2,911 04-26-2022, 03:05 PM
Last Post: PJK2012
  Dialer sound so low vary hard to hear caller. Shanta 2 1,866 02-11-2022, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Shanta