Both hinges completely failed
Sad to announce that both the hinges have completely failed on my Pinebook Pro. The plastic holding the brass inserts have broken into numerous tiny pieces. The plastic bits feel oily to the touch and extremely brittle. I guess I will repurpose my PBP into a headless machine.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

If you reach out to Pine, they should in theory be able to run a few more of the shells in the production process. Running a few extra should be pretty cheap for them. Then you can transplant the guts over.

Might be worth Pine checking out different types/grades of plastic too.
I wonder if the hinges were lubricated, and if so, was the lube incompatible with the plastic. If that's the case, and it sure seems like it, they might want to know, to avoid this problem in the future. It would be nice to know which batch yours came from. But then, it's hard for anyone to really know that.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
(08-11-2021, 12:14 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: I wonder if the hinges were lubricated, and if so, was the lube incompatible with the plastic.  If that's the case, and it sure seems like it, they might want to know, to avoid this problem in the future.  It would be nice to know which batch yours came from.  But then, it's hard for anyone to really know that.

The Pine64 people may have better advice, but the only lubrication I would use is dry graphite.  Solvents are not friends to plastic cases!
Ancient teacher (Secondary Field Science/Math), Warrior (USARNG- RET SSG), and IT warrior (30+ years Coder, Network/Systems Administrator, general house geek). 
Pinebook Pro user (Debian, Manjaro)
Mine was one of the earlier batches (Batch 2 or 3 IIRC).

I have considered ordering a replacement keyboard ($20 USD) but the shipping costs $30 USD. I might hold off until the Quartz64 model B is available and order them together.
(08-11-2021, 01:56 PM)wpeckham Wrote: The Pine64 people may have better advice, but the only lubrication I would use is dry graphite.  Solvents are not friends to plastic cases!

I'd use PTFE.  But then, I almost always use that over graphite.  I have some synthetic oils though that might be plastic safe, I'll have to look into that.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
those plastic palm cases are the weakest spot to mount those hinges on ,
finally mine starting to show cracks.,even mildly using the pbp.
definitely a structural design weakness ...only an embedded steal plate or metal rest would change that
(08-11-2021, 03:29 PM)phuzy Wrote: Mine was one of the earlier batches (Batch 2 or 3 IIRC).

I have considered ordering a replacement keyboard ($20 USD) but the shipping costs $30 USD. I might hold off until the Quartz64 model B is available and order them together.

I just received my new replacement keyboard.   Solved my problem that was similar to yours.   However, I struggled with the hinge modification some have suggested here.   Consequently, I've decided to just leave the lid open for the time being and avoid running into the same problem for the time being...

Good luck with your dilemma.
I broke mine several months ago, my pinebook pro is now a Jupyter-Lab and MariaDB server.

According to the wiki the LCD Model is BOE NV140FHM-N49

would this board be able to drive it via the 30-pin eDP cable?

https://www.amazon.ca/NV140FHM-N47-19201...=1-25&th=1

please let me know thanks

Karl
Working as a Film Electric and I have been using Linux since around 2002. 
Like to play with Python and Jupyter Lab/Notebooks when not going to the park with my baby girl.
I have read a number of reports of this. Is it only a problem on the older PBPs?

I am thinking about buying one on the next production run, maybe I will add some epoxy or other strengthening to the affected corner(s) to try and stave off this problem (if it even still exists).
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a way to turn off Wifi completely? jirow 10 7,539 06-20-2022, 05:53 AM
Last Post: Kaythe
  eMMC failed Dendrocalamus64 9 6,800 11-12-2021, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Dendrocalamus64
  Stiff hinges or a lid that no longer shuts dsimic 3 3,422 10-05-2021, 12:10 PM
Last Post: ab1jx
  Write to an A1-rated Micro SD card failed dsimic 12 11,204 07-28-2021, 11:38 AM
Last Post: dsimic
  Plastic Spacers at Hinges - Substitution hmuller 1 2,934 11-15-2019, 12:01 PM
Last Post: hdk