Can't get through "User Configuration" on new PinePhone
I feel silly, but have now spent many hours trying to set up my new PinePhone.
Have watched many videos and read many posts, but none mentions this issue.
After the KDE symbol comes up, everyone talks about a PIN screen, but that's not what I get.
I'm getting something called 'User Configuration', where it asks for Full Name, Username, and Password.
After (I think) entering those (it's very awkward because it just shows the keyboard - I'm hitting <CR> and
      then have to push the Power button to see the entries!) and using '123456' as the Password, nothing happens.
I'm sure there is a simple explanation for this - can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks in advance, everyone.
(05-30-2021, 05:36 PM)a-l Wrote: I feel silly, but have now spent many hours trying to set up my new PinePhone.
After the KDE symbol comes up, everyone talks about a PIN screen, but that's not what I get.
I'm getting something called 'User Configuration', where it asks for Full Name, Username, and Password.
After (I think) entering those (it's very awkward because it just shows the keyboard - I'm hitting <CR> and
      then have to push the Power button to see the entries!) and using '123456' as the Password, nothing happens.
I'm sure there is a simple explanation for this - can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
I've had this before. Try pressing and holding the top of the configuration window and drag it until you see the next box. You could also flip to landscape mode. Makes it easier to get to.
(05-30-2021, 05:54 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 05:36 PM)a-l Wrote: I feel silly, but have now spent many hours trying to set up my new PinePhone.
I've had this before. Try pressing and holding the top of the configuration window and drag it until you see the next box. You could also flip to landscape mode. Makes it easier to get to. 
Thanks for the response.
I'm not able to move the configuration window - pressing, holding, etc. don't do anything.
Also, it's already in landscape mode - doesn't seem to be changeable.
The weirdest thing is that the keyboard remains there, so it's blocking the input boxes, unless I click on the Power button.
BTW, does it matter what you enter for name and username, and is '123456' the correct password?
For some reason, it's either not getting them or not accepting them.
(05-31-2021, 02:32 AM)a-l Wrote: BTW, does it matter what you enter for name and username, and is '123456' the correct password?
The videos are probably from the era, when the fist time configuration wizard was not yet implemented.
Correct password is that you set during the initial configuration. Only digits are allowed.
So if you used 123456 during the configuration, it is correct.
Doesn't the keyboard go away, when you just touch the screen outside of it or aren't you able to just swipe down the keyboard?
(05-31-2021, 07:58 AM)acrux Wrote:
(05-31-2021, 02:32 AM)a-l Wrote: BTW, does it matter what you enter for name and username, and is '123456' the correct password?
The videos are probably from the era, when the fist time configuration wizard was not yet implemented.
Correct password is that you set during the initial configuration. Only digits are allowed.
So if you used 123456 during the configuration, it is correct.
Doesn't the keyboard go away, when you just touch the screen outside of it or aren't you able to just swipe down the keyboard?
Thank you for the help - you bring up a lot of points.
This is so frustrating - I've tried a couple hundred combinations of things by now.
Swiping away gets rid of the keyboard only sometimes.
I'm sure I've done something wrong -  do you mind if I go through what I did from the start?
The first time, I put in 2 words for 'Full Name' (first letter of each capitalized).
For 'Username' I put in 4 (or maybe 6 - I tried so many things now  Smile ) lowercase letters.
For 'Password' I put in a strong one - lowercase, uppercase, digits, and special chars.
It was only later that I discovered the video showing '123456' for the password (I also had
     tried '111111' and some others, and now I'm just trying 1 identical lowercase word for both 
     'Full Name' and 'Username'  and '123456' but nothing is working.
I'm hitting <CR> (the L-shaped arrow key) after each input, but I'm not sure it is getting any
    of these - when I finally get to see the screen (usually by tapping 'Settings' after pressing the
    unusual key to the left of the space bar (just to the left of the 'comma' key) the cursor is usually
    stuck on 'Username' and sometimes on 'Password' - so maybe the problem has nothing to do with
    any of these things?
The only other thing that I can add is that sometimes, when I hit that odd key just to the left of the
    'comma' (usually when I'm trying, unsuccessfully, to input a Username) the rest of the screen turns
    black with a multi-color horizontal line going across the top (again, it is always in landscape mode).
    That seems like it might be doing something, but alas, nothing happens.
Does any of this make sense to you?
Thanks again for your help.
I would suggest flash a new image and try again only using numbers for password and a plugged in keyboard and mouse. Something doesn't seem right with your current install.
(05-31-2021, 01:49 PM)a-l Wrote: The first time, I put in 2 words for 'Full Name' (first letter of each capitalized).
OK
(05-31-2021, 01:49 PM)a-l Wrote: For 'Username' I put in 4 (or maybe 6 - I tried so many things now  Smile ) lowercase letters.
OK
(05-31-2021, 01:49 PM)a-l Wrote: For 'Password' I put in a strong one - lowercase, uppercase, digits, and special chars.
Not OK. Didn't the setup mention, that only digits are allowed?

I have passed the Plasma Mobile initial configuration wizard with zero problems several times. 2 times when installed into the internal memory and about 5 times when installed to the sd card for demonstration purposes. Always in portrait mode. Be patient. Pinephone is a low end hardware device with not fully optimized software yet. As the Plasma Mobile first boot is performing several "first time" operations besides the initial configuration wizard, then don't rush. It could be slow - especially when running from (slow) sd card.
If you think you have messed up, then a good idea is to reflash as rocket2nfinity said. Unless your display is not correctly registering the touches, then you shouldn't need external input devices.
Hmm, maybe you are hit by the virtual keyboard bug like described here:
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...6#pid94826
I have been fortunate enough for it not to happen during the first time wizard, but yes - it seems that the Manjaro Plasma Mobile virtual keyboard is still not mature enough Big Grin
Did you ever resolve this issue? My new phone just came today and I am having the exact same issue. No idea where to even begin to try and fix it.....
(06-09-2021, 02:22 PM)Nutmeg Wrote:
Did you ever resolve this issue? My new phone just came today and I am having the exact same issue. No idea where to even begin to try and fix it.....

Hi. I believe the keyboard bugs out and looses focus of the field. First, make sure your using a pin password... I'm not sure if the installer allows you to enter characters, but even if it does, it's not intended for that. Plasma mobile itself only recently got support for character passwords in the 5.22 update coming to stable soon.

If your using a pin password and it's not working still, then I'd recommend you try tapping out of the text box to try and close the keyboard and get it open again. You might also be able to swipe down on the virtual keyboard to minimize it, and then tap the text box again to open it back up. See if that lets you enter text.

Unfortunately there's still some bugs with the virtual keyboard that haven't been worked out. Software issues is one of the reasons the Pinephone is currently being sold as a "beta" device.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,103 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,524 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 461 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,938 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 382 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,479 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,601 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,668 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 992 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma