thaughts on pinephone
first let me say, I'm abscessed with this phone. I just love the idea of a private phone. as far as os's, i have tried ut, plasma, manjaro, arch, pm and mobian. All recently. The best by far is mobian. As this is supposed to be a phone, it would be nice to be able to use it as a phone. As in being able to make and receive calls. With mobian its about 95% there, the others, in my experience, calls are not there. Arch impressed me with how fast it was but no calls (yet). 
  Its been fun watching mobian improve. its stable and getting faster. It has been my daily driver since 2/2021. for me there are only three gripes. 1. received call have a lot of static 2. no netflix. 3. not able to sent attachments with texts.  
 I'm an average user so I'm not tech savvy enough to get a vpn or axolotl working so i guess I'll have to impatiently wait for an app. So thanks all you folks at mobian, nice job!
I agree with you, it's been a blast watching this phone evolve. I started with UT, then Mobian, and I've been giving Plasma Mobile a chance. It is incredible how much everything has evolved in just the last year since I first got my pinephone.

Passively watching for news updates, it looks like a few people have been making their own custom (better) firmware for the cellular modem in the pinephone. I don't think this will ever come with the phone by default for legal reasons, but I get the feeling that once a bit more progress has been made, installing that custom firmware will help with some of the issues with phone calls.

Personally I've been using my pinephone for media consumption and general internet usage, since the phone aspects just aren't there yet. I too would appreciate Netflix on this thing, but I don't expect that anytime soon, if ever.
(04-21-2021, 09:42 AM)gamerminstrel Wrote: ...I don't think this will ever come with the phone by default for legal reasons...

Actually Linux is GPL, so there are no legal reasons not to run it on the ARM SoC part of the modem. It would be against the contract to prevent users from modifying it and running it as they want.
my website: https://xnux.eu
(04-21-2021, 05:25 PM)megous Wrote:
(04-21-2021, 09:42 AM)gamerminstrel Wrote: ...I don't think this will ever come with the phone by default for legal reasons...

Actually Linux is GPL, so there are no legal reasons not to run it on the ARM SoC part of the modem. It would be against the contract to prevent users from modifying it and running it as they want.
I assume that the FCC won't allow a phone to be sold with free firmware in the cellular modem, since people can modify it to use unauthorized bands. I haven't investigated whether that is possible with the free firmware for the EG25-G, but that is probably what gamerminstral is talking about.
RE: Netflix support
I know that the chipset on pine64 devices is slightly different but there is now a Widevine plug-in for the Raspberry Pi (https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-widevine/).  So playing DRM content on Arm based SoC's is technically possible, but I don't know what work it would take to get it working on pine64 SoCs.
(04-25-2021, 04:11 AM)amosbatto Wrote:
(04-21-2021, 05:25 PM)megous Wrote: Actually Linux is GPL, so there are no legal reasons not to run it on the ARM SoC part of the modem. It would be against the contract to prevent users from modifying it and running it as they want.

I assume that the FCC won't allow a phone to be sold with free firmware in the cellular modem, since people can modify it to use unauthorized bands. I haven't investigated whether that is possible with the free firmware for the EG25-G, but that is probably what gamerminstral is talking about.

The part that the certification bodies are interested in, or at least should be interested in, is the DSP part of the modem.  This closed-source part is responsible for the wireless communication coming in and out of the modem.  The part that runs on the ARM SoC inside the modem is pretty much a bridge to the phone, and cannot do much with the wireless signal that gets out of the modem, such as make the modem use unauthorized bands.
(04-25-2021, 10:09 AM)jfenn2199 Wrote: RE: Netflix support
I know that the chipset on pine64 devices is slightly different but there is now a Widevine plug-in for the Raspberry Pi (https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-widevine/).  So playing DRM content on Arm based SoC's is technically possible, but I don't know what work it would take to get it working on pine64 SoCs.

As far as I know widevine exists only for 32 bit ARM, so this won't work for the pinephone.
seemed good but then  had loads of problems and kept sending me to the lock screen

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 298 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,054 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,519 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 458 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,936 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 380 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,475 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,595 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,663 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 991 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma