5G and Tethering on PinePhone?
Greetings,

Do you know if the PinePhone is compatible with the 5G please?

Also, is Tethering something that will work, please?

Cheers,
Jimmy
(12-16-2020, 01:14 PM)gourou76 Wrote: Greetings,

Cheers,
Jimmy

Do you mean 5G cellular service, or 5Ghz wifi?

In both cases the answer is no. I did attempt to use a USB 5GHz wifi adapter plugged into the convergence edition's dock but it didn't work. (That may have been due to lack of a driver but I haven't had time to play around with it, just did a quick go/no go test.) The cellular modem is 3G and 4G capable, not 5G.
(12-16-2020, 01:52 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 01:14 PM)gourou76 Wrote: Greetings,

Cheers,
Jimmy

Do you mean 5G cellular service, or 5Ghz wifi?

In both cases the answer is no. I did attempt to use a USB 5GHz wifi adapter plugged into the convergence edition's dock but it didn't work. (That may have been due to lack of a driver but I haven't had time to play around with it, just did a quick go/no go test.) The cellular modem is 3G and 4G capable, not 5G.
Hi Zebulon,
The 5G band of course. So looking at this:
·  Worldwide, Global LTE bands 
·  LTE-FDD: B1/ B2/ B3/ B4/ B5/ B7/ B8/ B12/ B13/ B18/ B19/ B20/ B25/ B26/ B28 

·  LTE-TDD: B38/ B39/ B40/ B41

700Hz and 3500MHZ are KO ? Right ? The operator that I have an account got these only.

Best wishes,
Jimmy
(12-16-2020, 01:14 PM)gourou76 Wrote: ...

No problems - I have used via WiFi, USB and Ethernet port on USB-C dongle.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
5G:
No native support.
And probably unless 4G support ends in at least 1 of the key Pinephone user countries (America, Europe, Australia, Russia, maybe India), it's probably not going to happen.
Especially considering the health and privacy issues it brings, I'd rather not want to have it (probably not going to have any other choice sooner or later).

Tethering:
Mobian has a nice guide for Phosh in general: https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=networking
I never tested it before myself however.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
The health issues are pretty nonexistent, but the privacy issues are real. The funny thing is that the privacy issues ("cells" everywhere) would negate the health issues even if there were any. (The more widespread 5G becomes, the lower the power levels are used.)
(12-17-2020, 12:46 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: The health issues are pretty nonexistent
So far, the only ones I saw "debunking" without providing any evidence any health concerns about 5G are politicians and the fake news (and their "experts" who are more wrong than right).
Independent medical doctors on the other hand say otherwise.

I'll just wait until it's in widespread use and others have tested it before getting convinced either way.
Until that time, I'll start from the default starting point (meaning no trust).
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
I agree that politicians, elites, "experts" and the media don't equate with truth.

But consider the opposite point of view: the idea that 5G is harmful is totally unsubstantiated. If it were true, we'd all be in serious pain or whatever from broadcast television, and a whole plethora of radio services that most people are blissfully unaware of. Delve into the radio spectrum, study known health effects of RF emission, and then form an opinion. Don't trust people saying "5G is unhealthy" no matter how many there are and how loudly they say it. Especially don't take their word for it just because less trustworthy people have the opposite opinion. What 5G is and does are remarkably similar to other radio services. It's not this magical new thing. RF safety is a real thing and there is real information on it.

I got into it with an Australian who said he started having headaches and feeling nauseous, and then just happened to notice a new "cell tower", line of sight to his house. "It must be 5G!"
Get a frequency counter and see what it really is. $5 says it's not 5G. 5G won't come on towers anyway. I mean it will in some places for a time. But the whole idea behind 5G is that it'll be everywhere. You won't be able to escape it, hence you'll always be connected, which is the advantage. It'll come from your refrigerator, your house, your car, your neighbor's car, the streetlight post up the road, every business in the area. From an RF safety perspective, this is good because it means there won't be high power directed transmission. In fact, if you're anywhere populated, it's probably all around you already and you have no idea. Build a 5G detector. You could make money with it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like 5G. I think 4G is good enough. But I'm not going to claim it's getting through my passivated windows and giving me thyroid cancer. Did you know that you can actually get cancer just by convincing yourself that you have it?
(12-17-2020, 05:16 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: Don't trust people saying "5G is unhealthy" no matter how many there are and how loudly they say it.
If I say I don't believe that 5G has no health issues, doesn't mean I believe that 5G has health issues.
When there are conflicting views, it's always better to start with the most cautious one, and then adjust your view as more evidence comes out in either direction.

Think like this:
If you start from high expectations and it turns out to be amazing, you're happy.
If you start from low expectations and it turns out to be disappointing, you're disappointed.
If you start from high expectations and it turns out to be disappointing, you're angry.
If you start from low expectations and it turns out to be amazing, you're amazed.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
This thread is getting off topic, the pinephone only supports GSM 2G and GSM 3G and 4G/LTE

Tethering is a software thing and supported in all OS I've tried.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slarm64 on PinePhone [Unofficial Slackware ARM - 64 bit] acid andy 38 25,098 04-23-2024, 10:29 AM
Last Post: donchurch
  PinePhone app development WhiteHexagon 15 3,942 04-23-2024, 05:19 AM
Last Post: Jonnyc
Wink PINEPHONE not booting Touchwood 2 452 02-23-2024, 07:27 AM
Last Post: Touchwood
  Slack on PinePhone Adam Seline 5 5,404 12-20-2023, 07:20 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  Struggle to install LibreOffice on the PinePhone Peter Gamma 48 24,360 11-24-2023, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Which word processor to choose for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 8 2,006 11-23-2023, 01:06 AM
  openSUSE for Pinephone Alefnode 75 102,215 11-17-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Using Signal on PinePhone in mid-2023? dante404 45 13,233 11-17-2023, 04:23 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Genode- Sculpt OS for the PinePhone (non Linux) Surehand53 1 981 11-04-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Abiword as a office mobile word processor for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 11 2,228 10-24-2023, 08:57 AM