Beta support: MMS on chatty/mmsd on Modem Manager - help/testing wanted!
(07-19-2021, 07:48 AM)jfenn2199 Wrote:
(07-18-2021, 11:20 AM)ragreenburg Wrote:
(06-28-2021, 08:41 PM)0x070 Wrote:
(06-28-2021, 07:31 AM)jfenn2199 Wrote: Got mmsd-tng installed from sid and pulling MMS messages to Modem Manager with SMSWAP set to true.  Can confirm Mint Mobile (US T-Mobile MVNO) works. Oddly Mobian defaults Mint mobile sim to T-Mobile's mobilenet APN so had to change the apn for the modem to

Code:
Name: Internet/MMS2
APN: Wholesale

and ~/.mms/modemmanager/mms

Code:
[Modem Manager]
CarrierMMSC=http://wholesale.mmsmvno.com/mms/wapenc
MMS_APN=Wholesale
CarrierMMSProxy=NULL
DefaultModemNumber=NULL
AutoProcessOnConnection=true
AutoProcessSMSWAP=true

[Settings]
UseDeliveryReports=false
TotalMaxAttachmentSize=110000
MaxAttachments=25
AutoCreateSMIL=false

Running into redirect issues attempting to clone chatty from the /wip/sadiq/mm-account branch.  Going to attempt the python messenger method to verify completed delivery. But great news is 18 hours on and my modem hasn't clogged or crashed.  Thanks for the great work.

I'm on Mint Mobile as well. My ~/.mms/modem manager/mms file matches yours, but my apn settings are Name: Ultra, APN: Wholesale.

I'm able to receive MMS in the newly compiled chatty app (the MMS wip Branch), but only if the original Chatty is uninstalled. Any text sent through the branched Chatty is sent twice for some reason.
So I uninstalled Chatty and installed the MMS WIP branch but now I can't see chatty anywhere. I followed all the steps from the wiki installing Chatty but still am not seeing a chatty app. Is there something I'm missing?

You'll be able to run chatty from the build directory in the chatty directory, so assuming downloaded and built in home folder

Code:
sh ~/chatty/build/run

On debian I was unable to build a .deb using gpb as directed but was able to use Ninja to install.  So from the ~/chatty/build directory

Code:
ninja install

And reboot.  Then you should have your chatty launcher back and be able to receive notifications for SMS messages like normal (at this time I'm not getting notifications on MMS messages).

Make sure that if your settings in ~/.mms/modemmanager/mms have
Code:
AutoProcessSMSWAP=true

then change that to

Code:
AutoProcessSMSWAP=false

and with that you should have full MMS messages rolling into chatty.
Thank you for the help! So do I have to run 

Code:
systemctl --user restart mmsd-tng
Each time I start up the device (like with a cronjob) or does it automatically stay like that?
(07-19-2021, 06:53 PM)ragreenburg Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 07:48 AM)jfenn2199 Wrote:
(07-18-2021, 11:20 AM)ragreenburg Wrote:
(06-28-2021, 08:41 PM)0x070 Wrote:
(06-28-2021, 07:31 AM)jfenn2199 Wrote: Got mmsd-tng installed from sid and pulling MMS messages to Modem Manager with SMSWAP set to true.  Can confirm Mint Mobile (US T-Mobile MVNO) works. Oddly Mobian defaults Mint mobile sim to T-Mobile's mobilenet APN so had to change the apn for the modem to

Code:
Name: Internet/MMS2
APN: Wholesale

and ~/.mms/modemmanager/mms

Code:
[Modem Manager]
CarrierMMSC=http://wholesale.mmsmvno.com/mms/wapenc
MMS_APN=Wholesale
CarrierMMSProxy=NULL
DefaultModemNumber=NULL
AutoProcessOnConnection=true
AutoProcessSMSWAP=true

[Settings]
UseDeliveryReports=false
TotalMaxAttachmentSize=110000
MaxAttachments=25
AutoCreateSMIL=false

Running into redirect issues attempting to clone chatty from the /wip/sadiq/mm-account branch.  Going to attempt the python messenger method to verify completed delivery. But great news is 18 hours on and my modem hasn't clogged or crashed.  Thanks for the great work.

I'm on Mint Mobile as well. My ~/.mms/modem manager/mms file matches yours, but my apn settings are Name: Ultra, APN: Wholesale.

I'm able to receive MMS in the newly compiled chatty app (the MMS wip Branch), but only if the original Chatty is uninstalled. Any text sent through the branched Chatty is sent twice for some reason.
So I uninstalled Chatty and installed the MMS WIP branch but now I can't see chatty anywhere. I followed all the steps from the wiki installing Chatty but still am not seeing a chatty app. Is there something I'm missing?

You'll be able to run chatty from the build directory in the chatty directory, so assuming downloaded and built in home folder

Code:
sh ~/chatty/build/run

On debian I was unable to build a .deb using gpb as directed but was able to use Ninja to install.  So from the ~/chatty/build directory

Code:
ninja install

And reboot.  Then you should have your chatty launcher back and be able to receive notifications for SMS messages like normal (at this time I'm not getting notifications on MMS messages).

Make sure that if your settings in ~/.mms/modemmanager/mms have
Code:
AutoProcessSMSWAP=true

then change that to

Code:
AutoProcessSMSWAP=false

and with that you should have full MMS messages rolling into chatty.
Thank you for the help! So do I have to run 

Code:
systemctl --user restart mmsd-tng
Each time I start up the device (like with a cronjob) or does it automatically stay like that?
I've only had to restart the process after stopping it to change settings.  You can always check status with

Code:
systemctl --user status mmsd-tng.service

as long as it says active you should be good.
Have any of the major distros picked this up and made MMS work in their regular distribution of their distro for the PinePhone?
Spent some time on trying to compile / run this on Mobain today and not quite sure if I have it all working correctly. Is there a way that we could get a updated step-by-step tutorial from Step 1 on achieving this?

Thanks in advance.
Proud Owner : 
OG Pinephone 
Pinetime
Pinetab
@kop316 have we switched to using master branch on your patched version of Chatty?

I'm getting a 404 going to your wip link. (https://source.puri.sm/kop316/chatty/-/t...mm-account)
(08-19-2021, 01:43 PM)multiboot Wrote: it doesn't appear that I have access to edit my previous post.

you should be able to edit your posts after 3 approved posts. almost there!
(08-19-2021, 02:10 PM)tophneal Wrote: you should be able to edit your posts after 3 approved posts. almost there!

Thank you, @tophneal  Big Grin
(08-15-2021, 08:44 AM)Codenul Wrote: Spent some time on trying to compile / run this on Mobain today and not quite sure if I have it all working correctly. Is there a way that we could get a updated step-by-step tutorial from Step 1 on achieving this?

Thanks in advance.

I followed the instructions on the wiki. I seem to be receiving the message (I'm getting mms files in the ~/.mms directory), but for some reason the rebuilt chatty app doesn't seem to be getting them.
Looking through this thread, I see most folks are relying on a branch that seems to no longer exist. @kop316 am I correct in understanding that the branch was merged into main in the last commit? Building from that branch doesn't seem to include any differences from the stock chatty app, and I still can't get MMS messages to show up in chatty.
Aha, rebooting the phone seemed to get things to work, sort of. A bunch of test messages I'd sent finally came through. I still don't seem to get messages while the app is running though.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What File Manager Options Are There For The Pinephone? pinephoneuser22 7 2,442 10-18-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: luppivega
  A/B testing or Unit testing gulshan212 0 936 08-29-2023, 03:36 AM
Last Post: gulshan212
  Article: NuttX RTOS for PinePhone: 4G LTE Modem lupyuen 2 1,569 04-10-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  changing from bullseye to bookworm to install mmsd-tng jyoung 8 2,960 04-09-2023, 06:08 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
Sad Modem is always visible/connected but stops working after a while dante404 6 3,120 11-08-2022, 09:12 AM
Last Post: dante404
  Downsides of the open-source modem firmware? alpineduck 4 2,629 10-25-2022, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Pinephone: OpenGL support? orbital 2 2,214 08-25-2022, 04:09 PM
Last Post: vortex
  Latest firmware for PinePhone modem! Subsentient 104 128,999 07-20-2022, 05:32 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Which PP OS currently has the best podcast support? kujo_marble 3 2,056 07-14-2022, 07:09 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Help wanted: location of calls and chatty data files dukla2000 3 4,660 06-13-2022, 02:01 PM
Last Post: israel