Beta released!
First off, this is NOT a beta quality release.  A Beta is feature complete but presumed to still have lurking bugs.  They shipped this one with showstoppers like "won't take a phone call" and "phosh is known to lock up after using it for a while."

Now with the bad out of the way, this is the first release that is really close to having the power problem beat into submission.  I have the modem powered down by hard switch and still most releases manage to eat 10% per hour.  Left it asleep for 10 hours, 83% battery remaining.  Oh.  Yes.  Not as good as my LG Android can pull off (less than 1% per hour idling on 3G + WiFi enabled) but finally down to daily driver candidate levels as long as the modem's power management lives up to the datasheet.

The camera is erratic and the picture quality is poor, looks desaturated and noisy even in sunlight.  And as documented, it is crashy.  Par for the course across current distros though.  The calculator is only usable on the default basic layout, all others are larger than the available display in both orientations.  Again, this is common across distros.  And so on.

The list of showstoppers, things that would prevent trying to move a sim card into it and actually carrying this phone are:

1.  Phosh crashing.  (getting auto rotate back would be tasty gravy)
2.  The phone actually rings on an incoming call.

Nice to have things:

1.  Gnome Authenticator gets some realistic way to acquire key material.
2.  Camera becomes usable.  Probably related to the above item.
3.  Plugging the USB cable into a desktop does more than make a sound.  USB network good, MTP mode second best.
(10-20-2020, 12:54 PM)jmorris Wrote: First off, this is NOT a beta quality release.  A Beta is feature complete but presumed to still have lurking bugs.  They shipped this one with showstoppers like "won't take a phone call" and "phosh is known to lock up after using it for a while."

Now with the bad out of the way, this is the first release that is really close to having the power problem beat into submission.  I have the modem powered down by hard switch and still most releases manage to eat 10% per hour.  Left it asleep for 10 hours, 83% battery remaining.  Oh.  Yes.  Not as good as my LG Android can pull off (less than 1% per hour idling on 3G + WiFi enabled) but finally down to daily driver candidate levels as long as the modem's power management lives up to the datasheet.

The camera is erratic and the picture quality is poor, looks desaturated and noisy even in sunlight.  And as documented, it is crashy.  Par for the course across current distros though.  The calculator is only usable on the default basic layout, all others are larger than the available display in both orientations.  Again, this is common across distros.  And so on.

The list of showstoppers, things that would prevent trying to move a sim card into it and actually carrying this phone are:

1.  Phosh crashing.  (getting auto rotate back would be tasty gravy)
2.  The phone actually rings on an incoming call.

Nice to have things:

1.  Gnome Authenticator gets some realistic way to acquire key material.
2.  Camera becomes usable.  Probably related to the above item.
3.  Plugging the USB cable into a desktop does more than make a sound.  USB network good, MTP mode second best.

Yepp, a phone without the possibility to receive calls.......

Manjaro normally is known for well running builds. My manjaro on the PineBook Pro is running phantastic. But the Beta Build here is on the functionality of an earlier Alpha
Just loaded up the 10-18 beta build and the initial setup is indeed quite messsed up, which is odd because it worked fine on the first beta-1 build. Also for me the setup failed after resizing the partition , had to hard reset to continue. The setup is probably stuffed largely by: 1. the fact that it's defaulting to docked mode and 2. the region and keyboard selection dialogue has stopped working (this remains true even after everything else is working if accessed through the settings app). Once through there almost everything else is working for me, I did run pacman -Syu and went into settings to do the things initial setup should have done. No issues with the camera, kernel(5.9) or calls on my braveheart. Tested youtube videos and online account creation, both fine. Couldn't get geary to start (which was working fine in the initial beta-1 build), but anbox is back in the repositories if you want to manually install it. Phosh still seems a little buggier on manjaro than some other distros. Overall only the geary bug is stopping me from writing this to emmc.
Receiving calls is working?
(10-21-2020, 02:16 AM)firefox-58 Wrote: Receiving calls is working?
For me, on my service provider calls are working, both making and even receiving from sleep, I can make and receive sms, I even got an mms today (no attachments, but at least the text part - maybe something to do with the way my provider implements them). Battery usage seems good. I don't really like the way it won't go back to sleep if there's an "unread" notification, obviously some people think texts are more vital than I do, but I can live with it. Latest pacman -Syu seems to have brought in a new mesa version, but gnome-software doesn't seem to work at the moment (it usually does). A lot of the issues for calling and sms that people experience are due to the varied and not really standard way that mobile vendors configure their networks, and if you use a mvno that can change at the drop of a hat, mine jumped network provider a couple of weeks ago and now I have no service in a few places I go, not Pine's fault or Manjaro's - just not enough towers.
(10-19-2020, 12:43 PM)firefox-58 Wrote:
(10-19-2020, 03:02 AM)preflex Wrote:
(10-18-2020, 11:50 PM)Veraendert Wrote: I tried it 2 days ago and it´s painfully slow compared to Arch. Maybe because of the outdated Kernel Manjaro uses (still 5.7, i presume?). I´ll give it another shot though.

They switched to 5.9 yesterday, I think.  Feels about the same as Arch to me.  

Curiously, Arch with the dock, HDMI works but USB does not.  On Manjaro, USB works but HDMI does not.
Onscreen keyboard does not work. Build is unusable
I have to agree.  First of all, it took four attempts to get it to boot at all.  When it did eventually did boot, I found that the onscreen keyboard simply doesn’t work, and the Software app won’t scroll to find another keyboard that might possibly work.  I’ve managed to connect to WiFi using an external USB keyboard through the dock.  Has anyone solved the onscreen keyboard issue, and if so how? It’s a great shame, because the build looks as though it may be good, but the lack of an onscreen keyboard is a show stopper.  One other thing - when you get a notification saying there are important updates, and you tap it, you then get a message saying "no plugin could handle software updates" or something like that.

This really doesn't feel like beta software.
I'm on the testing channel on an Alpha4 build, but always on the newest update. For me phone calls and mobile network is working.
Just tried the Beta1 and they seem to have made some huge steps in the right direction. Definitely better than before.
Since I got this question quite a few times now: The default passcode is 123456!

Regarding the beta builds:

beta1: stable channel and runs quite well using the old kernel.

beta1-20201017: unstable channel and very buggy. Includes Kernel 5.9.1 and Gnome 3.38.1. Fixes problems with modem and networking plus better sound. Camera is not working at all. Will crash frequently!

beta1-20201018: unstable channel but quite usable. Main bug: The phone starts in docked mode! You won't get the onscreen keyboard and most apps aren't scaled right. But once you've undocked the phone via action menu everything runs nice and feels like a good step foreward. Both cameras are working in this build but switching is quite slow. Just like the newly included autofocus.

Hope this will help. And much resprect to the devs for their good work!
Beta1 from today (25th) is even better. Great job, indeed.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manjaro plasma-mobile Beta 13 Uturn 13 4,909 01-25-2023, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Manjaro Plasma Beta and Cellular Data Service Fred Zyphal 7 5,106 03-17-2022, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Fred Zyphal
  Beta 17 Online Accounts dlarson 3 2,704 12-30-2021, 03:15 PM
Last Post: dlarson
  Booted Phosh 16 Beta once and now won't boot ragreenburg 3 3,065 10-10-2021, 09:33 AM
Last Post: tckosvic
  beta 14 anbox network bridging issues? pjsf 0 1,098 09-14-2021, 08:50 PM
Last Post: pjsf
Brick Can send SMS but can't receive SMS with Beta 11..? Please help danimations 3 3,241 07-13-2021, 04:57 AM
Last Post: danimations
  PinePhone Beta Edition will not boot from MicroSD card Timothy_Ecc 8 7,273 04-30-2021, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Timothy_Ecc
  Manjaro - Posh beta 8 pin ??? sax1960 1 2,116 04-18-2021, 11:12 AM
Last Post: sax1960
  FIle Browser popup when sing Nemo/Calendar on Beta 4 nimji 5 5,221 01-28-2021, 03:29 PM
Last Post: kern707
  Cant Set APN on KDE Plasma Mobile Beta 1 LMalilil 9 9,800 01-25-2021, 08:00 PM
Last Post: vkraven