Headphone jack circuitry needs a deep inspection
Alright, so I did some measurements with REW and they confirm my findings.

Here you can clearly see the dips in the 100-1k range and noise in the 10k-20k range. Phase looks all kinds of weird as well.

Not much difference with the headphone amplifier at -24dB.

This is where things get a bit interesting. Adjusting DA0 and DAC to -3dB produces significantly cleaner output in the 10k-20k band. There's still what looks like a phase inversion at 11k but the difference is actually audible (previous noise-shaped SPL deviance at the most extreme was about 8dB peak to peak).

What's slightly confusing though is that as far as I can tell the headphone amplifier, DA0 and DAC are entirely internal to the SoC with only the amp outputs being externally connected. I have no idea how to fix this without involving Allwinner so we're probably better off just sticking with the -3dB attenuation even on future designs.

Anyway the major dips are at 78, 110, 156, 220, 311, 440, 622, 880 and 1195 Hz. This definitely looks like harmonics to me.

I tried attaching the data files to the post (a little under 3 MB each) but apparently they were too big and I got an ngnix error. Looking at the attachment section it seems I have an attachment quota of 2.93 MB so I guess that makes sense. I'll try to find another way of distributing them in this post but they are currently available in the Mobian chat room on Matrix.org .

Edit: Further testing shows the noise in 10k-20k disappears at anything below unity gain for DA0, as illustrated below with -0.75dB gain.

Edit 2: These graphs are wrong, they illustrate a separate bug in Lollypop. The high freuency issues are still there and I'll post better graphs using mpv instead on Lollypop soon.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Headphone jack circuitry needs a deep inspection - by Djhg2000 - 10-01-2020, 10:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question What's the Pinephone headphone jack/similar part? nfd 1 1,321 01-16-2022, 02:05 PM
Last Post: sundog
  audio jack: OMTP or CTIA? desca 2 3,820 08-12-2020, 08:16 AM
Last Post: desca
  Pin missing,loose spring in phone, audio jack not working Jantje 3 4,582 06-09-2020, 02:47 PM
Last Post: wibble
Lightbulb [Solved][BraveHeart] PinePhone Failed Headphone Test MrArca9 4 5,946 02-11-2020, 02:30 AM
Last Post: bcnaz