Battery that drains even with the Pinphone turned off
I turn off my phone every night with the battery around 60%/70% and the next night the battery is completely empty.

This is the PMOS edition under PMOS.

I missed a known problem or I have a gremlin at home?
Try replacing the battery (remove, insert) and observe if the battery continues to drain overnight; I suspect pmOS may not be powering down fully. The behaviour you describe should only manifest on Braveheart (v1.1) mainboards.
if I understand correctly, it could be a problem with the battery calibration or the OS detection of the charge level?

Thank you, I'll test it tonight.
I would also suggest PMOS is not powering all devices down completely during shutdown.

Pulling the battery out will certainly ensure any device still not in an OFF state will reach that state. It's not to do with battery calibration but to do with how the software is handling transition between states i.e. on, standby, off. And if I had to guess, it's the Quectel device (handles cellular and data) that's not reached OFF. This is a worry there with pulling the battery if the Quectel device is still running, it could cause corruption within the device (the device is basically a single-core Linux system so it ought to be properly shutdown instead of a hard power off) so it's something to be aware.

You could take a look through issues reported on PMOS web site, see if anything matches.
I hadn't thought of that.
I removed and put the battery back in without restarting PMOS, I will see tonight the state of the battery.
It should exclude PMOS if it's the same thing.
(09-24-2020, 12:59 PM)agD0i7rY Wrote: if I understand correctly, it could be a problem with the battery calibration or the OS detection of the charge level?

The battery status should be treated as an estimate, it is not accurate.

Regardless, if your battery depletes to 0% overnight, this isn't the problem to address... yet.

(09-24-2020, 06:11 PM)lot378 Wrote: This is a worry there with pulling the battery if the Quectel device is still running, it could cause corruption within the device

This issue should be solved on UBports and pmOS CE (1.2+) mainboards. However, on Braveheart:

Quote:If proper power down is to be implemented in the kernel for the modem, to allow safe shutdown of the modem before turning off the 4g-pwr-bat, kernel has to be able to signal to the modem to shut down and wait 30s.

This is not possible on braveheart.

Without this signal, kernel can't do anything to shut down the modem, and would have to rely on userspace to properly manage the modem power up/down sequence. Relying on userspace risks users shutting down the modem without proper wait time of 30s, risking modem damage (flash data corruption).
Quote:If proper power down is to be implemented in the kernel for the modem, to allow safe shutdown of the modem before turning off the 4g-pwr-bat, kernel has to be able to signal to the modem to shut down and wait 30s.

Without this signal, kernel can't do anything to shut down the modem, and would have to rely on userspace to properly manage the modem power up/down sequence. Relying on userspace risks users shutting down the modem without proper wait time of 30s, risking modem damage (flash data corruption).

I believe on PMOS they still wait 30 seconds for shutdown even on 1.2a.

It's not necessary on the latest Quectel firmware, it safely shuts down in 2s. The question is only if it's getting the shutdown message.
Thanks for the clarification @lot378  Big Grin
(09-25-2020, 05:24 AM)lot378 Wrote:

I believe on PMOS they still wait 30 seconds for shutdown even on 1.2a.

It's not necessary on the latest Quectel firmware, it safely shuts down in 2s. The question is only if it's getting the shutdown message.
---------------------------------------------
Thank you. This is helpful. I have been in a quandary as to if using the power button to power down with the on/off button on Mobian (shutdown occurs within very few seconds) could corrupt the modem's firmware.

My EG25 has not functioned in my BH since first receiving. I have flashed the firmware but it did not bring it to life. I don't believe I abruptly removed power from my BH at any point even on initial unboxing/setup but cannot be absolutely certain of this. My PMOS Conv. PP modem works fine.
Tonight at the start the battery was at yesterday's level.
Pmos may not have stopped completely until now.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  power circuit can't charge battery and can't supply enough power for modem or wifi vortex 2 490 02-17-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: vortex
  Battery life improvement freelectro 10 3,192 06-01-2023, 08:27 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
Thumbs Down Battery Issue or Power Management IC? bcoyle 2 1,488 03-20-2023, 12:54 AM
Last Post: bcoyle
  Power supply vs battery albafrati 11 4,531 06-22-2022, 06:04 PM
Last Post: albafrati
  What PD charger/dock combo results in PP battery not draining while using convergence james8880 0 1,437 04-28-2022, 12:45 PM
Last Post: james8880
  Battery mot charging past 54% StickyPine 32 25,948 02-26-2022, 02:07 AM
Last Post: vusra
  Battery replacement alternative sax1960 7 6,241 08-29-2021, 07:03 AM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Battery Capacity and Software Interaction food 2 2,401 08-15-2021, 07:19 AM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Battery phone case expected? Cpm 1 2,070 08-10-2021, 03:29 PM
Last Post: 33YN2
  Pine Phone Battery Issue vslash 21 18,691 08-09-2021, 07:35 AM
Last Post: mouffa