With what image(s) does phoning fully work?
I have now spent a lot of time trying to find an image where incoming and outgoing phone calls do work with decent sound quality.
I am either too dumb or it must be kind of a lottery to find such images.

Can  somebody post here URLs of downloadable images where phoning works as on a commercial phone?

Many thanks!
(09-20-2020, 06:37 AM)LinAdmin2 Wrote: I have now spent a lot of time trying to find an image where incoming and outgoing phone calls do work with decent sound quality.

Can  somebody post here URLs of downloadable images where phoning works as on a commercial phone?

Many thanks!

For me (Austria, carrier: "3") my pmos ce phone had working calls (only tested 4G) and sms (4G and 3G) after unboxing and installing the available updates.
The audio quality is definitely an issue, but it is usable.
Mobian (image from last friday) also had working calls (only tested 4G) and sms (4G and 3G) but the audio quality was worse then on pmos, i could hardly hear what the other person was saying.
(09-21-2020, 12:18 AM)MiSimon Wrote:
(09-20-2020, 06:37 AM)LinAdmin2 Wrote: I have now spent a lot of time trying to find an image where incoming and outgoing phone calls do work with decent sound quality.

Many thanks!

For me (Austria, carrier: "3") my pmos ce phone had working calls (only tested 4G) and sms (4G and 3G) after unboxing and installing the available updates.
Mobian (image from last friday) also had working calls (only tested 4G) and sms (4G and 3G) but the audio quality was worse then on pmos, i could hardly hear what the other person was saying.

Thank you for the detailed answer. It looks intriguing that there are so many differences observed between the delivered postmarketOS phones, even when using the same software.

With the delivered software, my phone could call others and ringed when others called, but the sound was not understandable.

Your post motivated me to upgrade the installed software. Despite my fears of bricking the software the installation ran smooth and upgraded 50 packages.

I was very happy and hoped, that now the sound bug would be fixed. The disappointment followed immediately: Now the phone does no longer call others and when others call there is no ringing and the callers get notified that their call was not accepted...
(09-21-2020, 08:08 AM)LinAdmin2 Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 12:18 AM)MiSimon Wrote:

Many thanks!

Thank you for the detailed answer. It looks intriguing that there are so many differences observed between the delivered postmarketOS phones, even when using the same software.

With the delivered software, my phone could call others and ringed when others called, but the sound was not understandable.

Your post motivated me to upgrade the installed software. Despite my fears of bricking the software the installation ran smooth and upgraded 50 packages.

I was very happy and hoped, that now the sound bug would be fixed. The disappointment followed immediately: Now the phone does no longer call others and when others call there is no ringing and the callers get notified that their call was not accepted...

Don't take it badly but are you aware that the Pinephone's software is still alpha? This isn't your usual ready to use phone.
@goku449:
Quote:Don't take it badly but are you aware that the Pinephone's software is still alpha? This isn't your usual ready to use phone.

What made you think I could not be aware???
Don't take it badly but your answer does not help to find out what differences in software result in that funny behavior.
I had no issues on Mobian. Here is a video of calls to/from Pinephone:
https://youtu.be/Vdx-vp1doB0 The video is not perfect, but it is what I was able to do with limited video/audio editing tools/ability.
Turn up volume if you want to hear 'echo' speaking in sound quality. It is usable IME, but not perfect. You might have to speak closer than other phones you are used to.

Something I have noticed: different operating systems show different functionality. One has had better sound quality than another. Some have not had sound/calls one way.

Mobian has been for me, the most functional Linux operating system for the Pinephone
- RTP

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." -Shunryu Suzuki

[ Pinephone Original | Pinetab v1 / v2 Enjoyer ]

Linux Device Privacy / Security Playlist

Do any of the distros wake from sleep when calls are received? On both mobian and arch I have tested in bound calling when the phone is sleeping and it wakes to the point I can see the lockscreen but nothing further happens.
(10-02-2020, 06:13 AM)mattpenn Wrote: Do any of the distros wake from sleep when calls are received? On both mobian and arch I have tested in bound calling when the phone is sleeping and it wakes to the point I can see the lockscreen but nothing further happens.
Don't worry - be happy Blush
(You must have known when buying that it does not work as real phone)
(10-02-2020, 07:39 AM)LinAdmin2 Wrote:
(10-02-2020, 06:13 AM)mattpenn Wrote: Do any of the distros wake from sleep when calls are received? On both mobian and arch I have tested in bound calling when the phone is sleeping and it wakes to the point I can see the lockscreen but nothing further happens.

I read and accepted the Braveheart early adopters messaging the same as everyone else Smile

I'm just wondering if other distros happen to have this solved yet because:

* The multi boot image which would speed up my own research isn't available for Braveheart devices yet
* I'm experiencing calls breaking on my Sailfish OS running Sony XA2 so would very much like an option to migrate to the PinePhone as a daily driver
(10-02-2020, 07:53 AM)mattpenn Wrote:
(10-02-2020, 07:39 AM)LinAdmin2 Wrote:

I read and accepted the Braveheart early adopters messaging the same as everyone else Smile

I'm just wondering if other distros happen to have this solved yet because:

* The multi boot image which would speed up my own research isn't available for Braveheart devices yet
* I'm experiencing calls breaking on my Sailfish OS running Sony XA2 so would very much like an option to migrate to the PinePhone as a daily driver
My BH's modem has been defunct since receipt and I have not been actively keeping up to date on megi's multi boot work so I could easily be missing something but I thought the 13 distro build was BH compatible.

Search with keywords with "Megous", "multi", and "Braveheart" yields following:

=====================
megous:
09-14-2020, 09:36 AM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2020, 09:54 AM by megous.)
Here's the updated image that also supports Braveheart: https://xnux.eu/p-boot-demo/

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...ight=multi
=====================

Hope this helps and good luck.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it normal for the pinephone to "discharge" after fully charged on multiple OS? Shad190 2 872 05-10-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Shad190
  UPDATED (June 2021): 17-distro multi-boot image for Pinephone (incl. 3GiB variant) megous 182 240,299 03-05-2023, 11:04 AM
Last Post: Eugo
  PureTalk work with Pinephone? car46999 6 2,670 01-30-2023, 12:05 AM
Last Post: car46999
  likely bug, volte does not work when operator side data blockage is activated zetabeta 1 1,222 05-21-2022, 03:03 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
  SD nonfunctional, how is support supposed to work? slomobile 6 3,873 01-18-2022, 07:02 PM
Last Post: slomobile
  Best OS where most of the things work? themagicm 13 9,784 12-09-2021, 07:28 PM
Last Post: ryo
Sad LTE data does not work on T-Mobile US with latest postmarketOS 21.06 SP3 PacificSinewave 1 1,334 11-07-2021, 10:15 AM
Last Post: beta-user
  Can't mount eMMC image on my desktop? nelstomlinson 0 1,246 10-16-2021, 09:30 AM
Last Post: nelstomlinson
  Lets discuss the GPS. Who has got it to work? AwHereWeGoAgain 8 6,170 09-17-2021, 01:29 PM
Last Post: KNERD
  What OS will actually work with phone calls? Nutmeg 16 11,640 08-07-2021, 11:01 AM
Last Post: mouffa