Add contacts with VCF files
(07-17-2020, 01:34 PM)Bouc Wrote: Hi, is there an easy way to import contacts from a vcf file?
I can't use simcard (different format) and I don't want a Google account.

Edit to solve:
From https://wiki.mobian-project.org

Import contacts from VCF file
Syncevolution has been removed from upstream Debian, in the meantime it is straightforward to import contacts from a VCF file via Evolution tooling. First install evolution:
Code:
sudo apt install evolution

Before you import the file you will need to set scale-to-fit for Evolution on, otherwise the import dialog page is unusable.
Code:
scale-to-fit Evolution on

After this I opened the .vcf file via the Files app, it auto-launched the import dialoug. After importing I removed the Evolution app, this step is optional:
Code:
sudo apt remove evolution

Code:
sudo apt autoremove

This worked for me in Manjaro as well, but the terminal commands are slightly different:  

To install evolution:  
sudo pacman -S evolution
scale-to-fit evolution on

To import contacts:  
Open your *.vcf file from 'nemo' on your desktop
Follow the dialogue in evolution.  

To remove evolution:  
sudo pacman -R evolution
If it isn't broken, take it apart and fix it.
In my case, the export done by my old phone (not a smartphone) give me between 2 and 4 VCF files. A import of all files give me an entry for each VCF file.

Even if I don't use Evolution with my desktop (Debian), you have "~/.local/share/evolution/addressbook/system/contacts.db". I install Evolution in my desktop, import all VCF files and remove all contacts that are unnecessary.

After "scp ~/.local/share/evolution/addressbook/system/contacts.db mobian@pinephone:~/.local/share/evolution/addressbook/system/contacts.db"
(07-21-2020, 10:37 AM)Bouc Wrote:
(07-21-2020, 10:08 AM)jjs Wrote: Odd, it worked pretty easily for me. I even have it syncing from an online carddav. Check to see which address book you are importing to? In Evolution go to Edit -> Accounts and check to see which address books are set up.

I only saw now that I had imported the contacts on my google account but not in the address book. I don't want my google contacts. I will do moore tests.
How did you get this to work? I imported a VCF file from my Android phone into Evolution and it appeared to work. I imported it to the "Personal" address book which shows up under "On This Computer" in Evolution. But in GNOME Contacts I see "Local Address Book" which does not have those contacts and they don't show up in Chatty nor Calls.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question How to Save Read Only Files, Questions on Location lovepine88 8 477 Yesterday, 06:08 PM
Last Post: ryo
  Synchronizing: How do you sync / synchronize Calendar and Contacts with your desktop? Anna 12 1,211 04-22-2021, 02:42 AM
Last Post: Anna
  gnome-contacts not showing call nor sms button cafe 2 462 02-11-2021, 01:31 AM
Last Post: cafe
  how to import contacts from sim cards cybercow 7 1,802 12-06-2020, 01:14 PM
Last Post: cybercow