Will Raspbian binaries run on the Pinbook pro?
Hi
I compile software using freepascal and fpgui for customers on Windows, Linux, MacOS and Raspian.
I am currently using my Pi as a WiFi router so I was sort of tempted to buy a Pi4 to replace it.  But Pi's are such a faff with cables and SD cards and maybe I would just be better to get a Pinebook Pro.
Can I essentially treat a Pinebook Pro as a Pi laptop? It seems to use a similar processor as a Pi 4.
Would I be able to run 32 bit Raspbian binaries on it?
and I can install freepascal and Lazarus-IDE on it right?
If I buy one then I'll be most likely using Debian.
A laptop with a long battery life and a proper UART would be kind of cool.
thanks, DNJ
yes, with some caveats. you will want either a armhf userspace, or multiarch. luckily, both are doable with debian.
I don't suppose that anyone would be generous enough to try it out for me?
I guess that I won't be able to post links on my second post, but if you google "pscan rover tool" then my software will be the top hit.
From there click "install" at the top
"download and install software"
then "linux"
The download is a 32 bit arm binary
it doesn't need root or any special privilege
Bung it in a folder and when you run it it will download a second binary and a text file.

Obviously if you are security conscious you might consider this a bad idea, but maybe if someone happens to be about to blow away their OS to put another one or something maybe they wouldn't mind?

thanks, DNJ
According to this Ubuntu doc https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi multiarch works on a 64 bit Pi.
Does anyone know if this will also work on a Pinebook Pro?

If I get a Pinebook Pro then I would like to be able to compile and test 32 bit Raspbian binaries on it as well. Multiarch looks like the way to do it.
(06-14-2020, 02:30 PM)dieselnutjob Wrote: I don't suppose that anyone would be generous enough to try it out for me?
I guess that I won't be able to post links on my second post, but if you google "pscan rover tool" then my software will be the top hit.
then "linux"
Bung it in a folder and when you run it it will download a second binary and a text file.

Obviously if you are security conscious you might consider this a bad idea, but maybe if someone happens to be about to blow away their OS to put another one or something maybe they wouldn't mind?

thanks, DNJ

I can give this a go when I get mine, I should have it by the 22nd but if I get it this week I can definitely spend some time on that over the weekend. I'm also curious about binary compatibility between the PBP/Rockchip and my RPi 4. As I've stated elsewhere, my ultimate goal with the PBP is to get Slackware ARM running on it as a daily driver OS (I don't know if anyone else is working or planning to work on this, it's more of a personal pet project).
(06-17-2020, 08:01 AM)kaidenshi Wrote:
(06-14-2020, 02:30 PM)dieselnutjob Wrote: I don't suppose that anyone would be generous enough to try it out for me?
then "linux"

thanks, DNJ

I can give this a go when I get mine, I should have it by the 22nd but if I get it this week I can definitely spend some time on that over the weekend. I'm also curious about binary compatibility between the PBP/Rockchip and my RPi 4. As I've stated elsewhere, my ultimate goal with the PBP is to get Slackware ARM running on it as a daily driver OS (I don't know if anyone else is working or planning to work on this, it's more of a personal pet project).

Doesn't work on my PBP, I get "bash: ./pscanloader: No such file or directory" when I try to run it, most likely due to it being a 32-bit binary (I'm on the default 64-bit Manjaro KDE image right now). You may have to target AARCH64 when building the binary to have it work on the PBP. If you want to try that you can send me a binary at my forum name at gmail.com.
so raspbian until recently was armhf userspace only. so my guess is these are simply armhf binaries. your best bet is debian with multi-arch or armhf userspace.

honestly, (and what i do) keep a separate armhf userspace install on sdcard and use that as necessary. problem solved.
I have decided to order one for myself.
It seems near enough to a Pi that I can use it in place of one.
Also there are announcements that Apple is migrating from Intel to 64 bit Arm and I think it would be useful to start working on 64 bit Arm/Linux as a half way house with the new Apple devices come out. With a bit of luck xquartz will get ported to the new Arm Apple devices and I will basically be done.
Thanks for all the replies and particularly kaidenshi for trying it out.

Are there some instructions somewhere for running 32 bit Linux on the Pinebook Pro?
use danielt's unofficial debian installer and choose armhf arch.
(06-21-2020, 10:00 AM)xmixahlx Wrote: use danielt's unofficial debian installer and choose armhf arch.

this one?
https://github.com/daniel-thompson/pineb...installer/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin Selling Pinbook Pro AND pinephone convergence package poltergiest 2 2,114 03-08-2022, 10:12 AM
Last Post: poltergiest
  SOLD: Pinbook Pro (US) migel628 1 1,904 02-21-2021, 12:14 AM
Last Post: iMav
  Xen to run Manjaro and Raspbian marawuti 8 9,512 05-09-2020, 06:50 PM
Last Post: wwtaylor