Amazon Prime on Powerbook Pro
I am running Debian on a Micro SD card.

I used the pinebookpro-debian-desktop-mrfixit191226.img.xz installer.
I have run the /usr/bin/update_widevine.sh script.

If I log in as the 'rock' user I am able to view Amazon Prime Video using the Chromium browser.

If I create a new user (using 'sudo adduser') that user gets a 'this browser is not supported' error message when trying to view Amazon Prime Video.

I have tried re-running /usr/bin/update_widevine.sh script when logged in as the new user but this does not make any difference.

For the moment I will log in as the user 'rock' if I want to watch Amazon Prime Video.

But if anyone has any thoughts on what else I might need to do in order for the new user to be able to do this I would be gratful for any advice.
Compare the group list for each user;

groups

Add the new user to any that "rock" has, that are missing. Logout and back in as the new user.

There may be other things too. But, let's start here. If this fixes the problem, let us know so we can put the fix on the Wiki.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
Thank you.

rock is a member of the following groups
  • adm
  • sudo
  • audio
  • video
  • plugdev
  • input
  • ssh

I have added the new user to these groups, but the incompatibility with Amazon Prime persists.
You might look to copying "rock" user's Chromium directory, (and changing the new copy to use the new user's ownership and group).

Others solved the problem by changing "rock" user's name to their own preferred name. Instructions in the Wiki.

Other than that, I don't know.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
Maybe a dumb suggestion...
Did you set Chromium to accept secured/DRM content?
The user setting might have gotten reset when you created a new account

chrome://settings/content/protectedContent
IIRC the mrfixit update script drops widevine into the user home dir... it could be hardcoded to rock?
(06-11-2020, 04:18 PM)Eight Bit Wrote: Maybe a dumb suggestion...
Did you set Chromium to accept secured/DRM content?
The user setting might have gotten reset when you created a new account

chrome://settings/content/protectedContent
It seems to be the default, so the new account does have chrome://settings/content/protectedContent set to Yes.
(06-11-2020, 04:14 PM)Arwen Wrote: You might look to copying "rock" user's Chromium directory, (and changing the new copy to use the new user's ownership and group).

Others solved the problem by changing "rock" user's name to their own preferred name. Instructions in the Wiki.

Other than that, I don't know.
Copying the Chromium directory does not seem to make a difference.

I will have a go at renaming rock, although I did mess this up last time I tried it! I had the same problem as described here:
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...9#pid61869
I must be doing something wrong so I will re-read the Wiki and have another go.

Thank you for your help.

(06-11-2020, 11:35 PM)xmixahlx Wrote: IIRC the mrfixit update script drops widevine into the user home dir... it could be hardcoded to rock?
I don't think so, but I might not be understanding the script correctly. This is what the script contains...

Code:
#!/bin/bash

# Script must be run as root
if (( $EUID != 0 )); then
        echo "Please run as root. Exiting..."
        sleep 3
        exit
fi

printMsg() {
        echo
        echo $1
        sleep 0.5
}

printMsg "Making sure dependencies are in place..."
apt install -qq wget &> /dev/null

printMsg "To get the latest widevine library we must download the entire 2gb ChromeOS recovery image (will later be deleted). Please be patient, this may take a while..."
echo
echo
CHROMEOS_URL="$(wget -qO- https://dl.google.com/dl/edgedl/chromeos/recovery/recovery.conf | grep -A11 CB5-312T | sed -n 's/^url=//p')"
CHROMEOS_IMG="$(basename "$CHROMEOS_URL" .zip)"
wget -O - "$CHROMEOS_URL" | zcat > "$CHROMEOS_IMG"

printMsg "Mounting the image to pull the files from it..."
mkdir -p chromeos_tmp
LOOPDEV="$(losetup -f)"
losetup -Pf "$CHROMEOS_IMG"
mount -o ro "${LOOPDEV}p3" chromeos_tmp

printMsg "Updating widevine..."
cp chromeos_tmp/opt/google/chrome/libwidevinecdm.so /usr/lib/chromium-browser
cp chromeos_tmp/opt/google/chrome/pepper /usr/lib/chromium-browser -r

printMsg "Cleaning up..."
umount chromeos_tmp
losetup -d "$LOOPDEV"
rm -f "$CHROMEOS_IMG"
rm -fr chromeos_tmp

printMsg "WIDevine Updater Completed"
sleep 5
from that it doesn't look hardcoded, but my memory is something was tied to the rock user which i thought was odd... it has been a long time since i used the default OS, sorry if that wasn't useful.
I have found a solution. What puzzles me is that I would have thought the copying of the 'rock' profile for chromium, as suggested by @Arwen  would have had the same result.

If I log in to the new account and launch Chromium from the command line specifying the same user agent as is found in the chrome://version for the rock account then Chromium can play Amazon Prime video.

Code:
chromium-browser --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (X11; CrOS armv7l 6946.63.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/72.0.3626.121 Safari/537.36"

I will now see if I can work out how to get this to be applied when launching Chromium from the GUI.

Thank you all for your help with this.