UPDATED (June 2021): 17-distro multi-boot image for Pinephone (incl. 3GiB variant)
(06-18-2021, 12:43 PM)Anna Wrote: Thank you, @Maus , that worked!
(And I've learnt that there's a difference between using sudo and running commands as root...)

I usually just
Code:
sudo su

(run commands now as "global" root without sudo)

exit
None of the images will boot for me. I see all the available distro options, but selecting any of them only brings up the associated logo (ex: Fedora logo, PinePhone p-boot screen) but nothing actually boots. The only exception is selecting 'boot from eMMc', which boots correctly. I resized the sd card partition and my battery is charged. Has anyone else had this problem?

** Edit ** This appears to be an issue booting from an sd card in general. I've always falshed images to sd cards in the same way, the only recent difference is that I have encrypted Mobian on my eMMc.
(06-26-2021, 11:40 AM)0x070 Wrote: None of the images will boot for me. I see all the available distro options, but selecting any of them only brings up the associated logo (ex: Fedora logo, PinePhone p-boot screen) but nothing actually boots. The only exception is selecting 'boot from eMMc', which boots correctly. I resized the sd card partition and my battery is charged. Has anyone else had this problem?

Yes. I have had the same problem, but only rarely. In desperation, at least once or twice I deviated from Megous' installation howto when I've had problems and I had success using Gparted to resize and error check the partition, but I may have had to install btrfs support on my MX-Linux system, which I use for flashing my Pine SD cards, to get Gparted to work. I don't recall exactly.

I know from years of experience booting the versatile and highly customizable MX-Linux and antiX "live" environments on Intel architecture and also Armbian on my PineBook Pro that SD cards can be problematic. (Armbian devotes a relatively large section of its FAQ to warning of the simple problem of unreliable SD cards.) I am currently using only SanDisk UHS-1 A1 cards and they have been 100% reliable. I've had good luck with Samsung cards in the past too. Personally, I've had so much trouble with other brands through the years that I'll only use these two SD card brands.
(06-26-2021, 11:40 AM)0x070 Wrote: None of the images will boot for me. I see all the available distro options, but selecting any of them only brings up the associated logo (ex: Fedora logo, PinePhone p-boot screen) but nothing actually boots. The only exception is selecting 'boot from eMMc', which boots correctly. I resized the sd card partition and my battery is charged. Has anyone else had this problem?

** Edit ** This appears to be an issue booting from an sd card in general. I've always falshed images to sd cards in the same way, the only recent difference is that I have encrypted Mobian on my eMMc.
Boot relies on partition table having a certain ID. Some partition management tools change this during resize and thus break boot on multi-boot distro. Did you use the recommeded resize method?

The kernel update is available for the multi-boot image:

http://dl.xnux.eu/p-boot-multi-2021-06-0...el-update/

See: http://dl.xnux.eu/p-boot-multi-2021-06-0...ate/README

What's new in that kernel is documented here: https://megous.com/git/linux/tag/?h=oran...10707-1456
my website: https://xnux.eu
(06-26-2021, 11:40 AM)0x070 Wrote: None of the images will boot for me.

Check out this section of the Armbian guide:

https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Gett...-a-sd-card

Maybe you could try using the SD Formatter utility linked in the above guide before you follow megous' procedure:
Quote:In case you chose an SD card that was already in use before please consider resetting it back to ‘factory default’ performance with SD Formatter before burning Armbian to it (explanation in the forum). Detailed information regarding ‘factory default’ SD card performance.

I've never used it but the Armbian folks know SD cards! Sadly, it appears to be a Windoze/Mac only program.
Hi megi, im trying your multidistro (the previous version) and it is really usefull.
However i have a small problem, I want to connect pmos (posh) with usb ssh but also if I try to follow the wiki ( https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/SSH#F...your_phone ), I can't use the address 172.16.42.1 .
There is another address for ssh in your multidistro?

And then i have another related question, i've seen that the variable $DISPLAY is not set (i've tried to connect in ssh with wifi and it works but i can't open programs with the command DISPLAY=:0 firefox). How could I use it ? (if for example I wanted to use ssh -X)
(08-05-2021, 09:56 PM)vinnie Wrote: And then i have another related question, i've seen that the variable $DISPLAY is not set (i've tried to connect in ssh with wifi and it works but i can't open programs with the command DISPLAY=:0 firefox). How could I use it ? (if for example I wanted to use ssh -X)
Many of the apps will start in native wayland mode and display on the phone unless you tell them to use X. For firefox that would be via GDK_BACKEND=x11 but I think it only works if there isn't already an instance running using wayland.
(08-08-2021, 04:15 PM)wibble Wrote: Many of the apps will start in native wayland mode and display on the phone unless you tell them to use X. For firefox that would be via GDK_BACKEND=x11 but I think it only works if there isn't already an instance running using wayland.

Code:
pine64-pinephone:~$ GDK_BACKEND=x11 firefox

(firefox:2818): Gtk-WARNING **: 02:30:21.674: cannot open display:
pine64-pinephone:~$ fractal
Error: BoolError { message: "Failed to initialize GTK", filename: "/home/buildozer/aports/community/fractal/src/fractal-4.4.0/output/target/cargo-home/registry/src/github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823/gtk-0.8.1/src/rt.rs", function: "gtk::rt", line: 116 }
pine64-pinephone:~$ megapixels
Found config file at /usr/share/megapixels/config/pine64,pinephone-1.2.ini
Found postprocessor script at /usr/share/megapixels/postprocess.sh

(megapixels:2849): Gtk-WARNING **: 02:30:50.622: cannot open display:
Did you connect with ssh -X or just ssh? On mobian the former sets $DISPLAY to localhost:10.0 and firefox starts, while with the latter $DISPLAY isn't set, and firefox fails with the same error you show. You need the GDK_BACKEND=x11 with megapixels too, and there's a few seconds of lag updating the camera image.
I got my 3GB Pine KDE Community edition recently and I'm unable to boot the sdcard with the MultiBoot image. I verified the checksum, and even the sdcard is in the top slot above simcard slot. Can anyone please help me Sad.

My bad I think it was mmcblk0 but I did mmcblkop1 which comes under it like this https://imgur.com/a/w1pSULW
[Image: w1pSULW]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 6 524 Yesterday, 02:22 AM
Last Post: bongosunny
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 329 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: aular
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 224 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 108,790 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,761 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 593 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,322 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 488 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,667 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,928 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma