Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver?
(07-13-2021, 05:23 AM)swiley Wrote: xmpp service via dino. I would recommend everyone do that as it gives you a lot more freedom with your OS. Especially if you live somewhere with bad cell coverage since it means all your messages go over the internet.

+1 for XMPP!

No phone number nor even carrier required, strictly speaking (you can send over Wi-Fi, like email)!  Many times I have not had cell service, but was able to send messages over XMPP (via Wi-Fi, which can be found all over nowadays (Walmart, McDonalds, etc.))!

A long time standardized protocol.  Remember, protocols, not platforms!  Wink

I gave up trying to explain this to normies.  But maybe I find an audience here.  Big Grin 

I got the feature/handy branch of Dino to compile directly on the PinePhone (I'm running Mobian) with only minor trouble.  It's working quite well!  I can maybe write a step by step guide if anyone needs that, but most of what you should need is in my comment there.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(07-07-2021, 08:12 AM)dante404 Wrote:
(07-02-2021, 05:02 AM)anonymous Wrote: 1. Yes

2. Mobian

3. Phosh

4. ...reliable alarm
Yeah, forgot about the alarm, also doesn't work on my daily driver Mobian here - Would be nice if it would!
(Using my old Fx0 with FirefoxOS without SIM and in FlyMode as an 'alarm clock' at home at the moment...

I've forgot another missing feature: Hiding your own phone number when calling someone. Sadly mobian/Phosh has no option for this (and manually entering the GSM/USSD code just doesn't work for some reason)... Sad
Using encrypted Mobian (bookworm) on pmOS CE Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) as Daily Driver, and Beta Edition Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) with encrypted Mobian (bookworm) as Backup device.
(07-27-2021, 01:25 PM)dante404 Wrote: I've forgot another missing feature: Hiding your own phone number when calling someone. Sadly mobian/Phosh has no option for this (and manually entering the GSM/USSD code just doesn't work for some reason)... Sad

https://itbrainpower.net/downloadables/Q...l_V1.0.pdf

take a look at "AT+CLIR", Calling Line Identification Restriction. no promises though, meaning i haven't tested myself.
sxmo has come a longway since I first started using the PP so I use the PP for most things. my Android phone is basically a music player, Google Maps directions finder, and alarm clock, as those are niches that aren't well executed yet on the PP.

battery life is still not that good but I'm hopeful that the keyboard case will address that.
(07-27-2021, 04:49 PM)zetabeta Wrote: https://itbrainpower.net/downloadables/Q...l_V1.0.pdf

take a look at "AT+CLIR", Calling Line Identification Restriction. no promises though, meaning i haven't tested myself.
Thank you very much! I will look into this. Smile
(06-07-2021, 12:06 AM)lagrang3 Wrote: [*]These are missing functionalities:
- copy/paste text: I can get the copy but not the paste, for example in SMS app.
[*]
I see a lot of people on Mobian/Phosh saying there's no copy/paste.  Many apps seem top have a long-press, popup copy-paste option, and for those that don't I've been using CTRL-C / CTRL-V and it seems to work for me (with the exception of King's Cross which is a different process).  You have to switch the keyboard to "terminal" mode so it shows the CTRL button, but you should be able to CTRL-V to paste.
Any recommendations for setting up xmpp? I've tried in the past but I never really got it working.
[*]1. YES!

2. first mobian then switched to manjaro due battery charging time(newer Kernel), now on postmarketOS

3. Phosh

4. Offline navigation like organicmaps

It works as a daily driver, but you need a lot of nerves, especially the laggy usb-c port causes a lot of trouble....
Having used the Pinephone as my regular phone for a few days now I actually find the most difficult aspect of it is just the size of the thing, it's difficult to carry around. It otherwise works fine for making and receiving calls. I've never had any kind of smartphone before, just flip phones which are very compact and hardly noticeable when clipped to a belt. I found a holster that the Pinephone fits but of course it's bulky and tends to get in the way of things like reaching for my wallet.

Also one time the Pinephone managed to turn itself on due to being jostled around inside the holster. I'm running Mobian with full disk encryption and the phone apparently spent hours at the unlock screen and got very hot, actually uncomfortable to touch, and battery nearly discharged. Apparently there is not much in the way of power management at that stage of booting up. (Normally the phone gets warm in regular use but nothing like that.) Fortunately there appears to be no damage. So far positioning the phone so its buttons are facing up in the holster have prevented this from happening again but I still check it periodically, may have to leave the battery out if this becomes a repeat problem.

So, how are others dealing with the logistics carrying the Pinephone around with them on a daily basis?
(07-31-2021, 03:29 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: Having used the Pinephone as my regular phone for a few days now I actually find the most difficult aspect of it is just the size of the thing, it's difficult to carry around. It otherwise works fine for making and receiving calls.
So, how are others dealing with the logistics carrying the Pinephone around with them on a daily basis?

as a former Note user, and as a construction worker who's 6'6", I don't find it to be large at all, though my wife would if I asked I bet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 291 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: aular
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 193 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 458 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,698 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 566 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,228 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 468 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,619 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,817 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,871 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy