Won't boot past the KDE splash screen
When I turn on the phone, it flashes the LED once, then the K-with-a-gear logo shows up.  The gear turns briefly, then stops, then the phone turns off again. 

This is the beta edition with the stock Manjaro Plasma OS.  Yesterday afternoon I updated using pacman -Syyu.  Everything was good yesterday evening.  The phone turned itself off overnight, and this is what I found this morning.  Removing and replacing the battery didn't help.  Since I can't get it to stay on for a full minute, I'm not sure how to fix this.  

Any ideas?
There was a major update yesterday, many times this crashes the KDE until all packages have been update correctly and what we have been doing up to now is to connect a keyboard through the dock, switch to another terminal and update once a day until the phone works.

It has been answered again in other threads. Other people log in through the headphone UART cable and others boot from SD and perform the update with chroot.

Until it is fixed you can run another OS from the SD like OpenSUSE for example.

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=14209
I should have an SD card here in a week or so, I'll put an image on that and boot from that. This is different behavior than last time. I'm pretty sure it's turning itself off this time.
indeed, if it turns off it's strange, it seems something crashes hard, later came an update of the Qt package and maybe it solves your problem but if the phone turns off you will have to either do the chroot or reinstall the image, another way could be to alter the files and stop Plasma from loading automatically until you do the update but it is easier to reinstall the image, try the updated image with the SD and if it's OK flash it to the eMMC
(07-08-2021, 06:50 AM)mouffa Wrote: indeed, if it turns off it's strange, it seems something crashes hard, later came an update of the Qt package and maybe it solves your problem but if the phone turns off you will have to either do the chroot or reinstall the image, another way could be to alter the files and stop Plasma from loading automatically until you do the update but it is easier to reinstall the image, try the updated image with the SD and if it's OK flash it to the eMMC
Mouffa, it was indeed tuning off.  The reason was that the battery had discharged to the point that it could not complete booting.  Apparently while I was experimenting with the Nexdock it was not charging.  The battery icon at the top right is too small for my old eyes, so I didn't notice.  Once it was charged up I was able to complete the boot and upgrade from the terminal as in the previous thread.  

I had the docking bar plugged in to the pinephone, and had the Nexdock plugged in to the HDMI and USB-A ports on the docking bar. I had a charger plugged in to the USB-C port on the docking bar, and I thought that surely it would be charging through one of those.  Obviously I was wrong. I'll need to keep a magnifying glass handy when I'm playing with this, I guess.
if it is discharged it can't without the charger, charge it first for some minutes and boot and then connect the dock, don't overcomplicate the things with many cables and connections, pine's screen is enough, it seems that this problem will be usual from now on

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boot fails ionmich 6 1,036 11-02-2023, 05:14 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  screen brightness Uturn 1 604 10-09-2023, 04:38 AM
Last Post: Eugo
  screen brightness locked Uturn 0 589 07-07-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Backup and Home Screen Tinkering on Phosh jakfish 0 809 02-24-2023, 12:56 PM
Last Post: jakfish
  Screen timeout makes alarm and timer unusable... Eugo 9 3,798 10-03-2022, 01:41 AM
Last Post: Eugo
  Screen blocker is damaged ("loginctl unlock-session c1" problem) Gon 2 1,855 09-29-2022, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Firewave
  Disabling screen timeout for plasma mobile rp3 7 7,024 09-05-2022, 03:50 PM
Last Post: christev1
  |Plasma] Blank screen + pointer, SDDM error tuxmain 0 944 07-04-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: tuxmain
  How to return to "home screen" hiddenpotato 7 6,091 03-05-2022, 06:21 AM
Last Post: dcinoz
  Manjaro Welcome screen landscape JohanB89 2 2,123 11-12-2021, 01:13 AM
Last Post: acrux