Pinebook Pro Revised Keyboard Firmware
(10-15-2020, 10:22 AM)wrzomar Wrote: Is there a way to make Fn+F3 do what is suggested by its icon? I think it should send KEY_SWITCHVIDEOMODE defined in /usr/include/linux/input-event-codes.h file, but I can't find anything similar in include/keycodes.h.

EDIT:
OK, I 've figured it out. First I've changed keyboard firmware so it would send F15 when Fn+F3 is pressed, it will send 6a, then I've created file /etc/udev/hwdb.d/90-usb-kbd-custom.hwdb with contents:
Code:
evdev:input:b0003v258Ap001E*
  KEYBOARD_KEY_7006a=switchvideomode
It will translate F15 to KEY_SWITCHVIDEOMODE (but first I had to run: sudo systemd-hwdb update).
Now Fn+F3 works like Meta+P (in KDE).
I've tried with 0xBF because it was not used, but it was not send, either.

Thanks on the solution.
I am having issues with f 4-6. They seem to not work at all. There is no change in volume and nothing is displayed showing volume change.
(10-30-2020, 09:06 PM)erock22 Wrote: I am having issues with f 4-6. They seem to not work at all. There is no change in volume and nothing is displayed showing volume change.
Did you pressed Fn and one of these three keys or just them alone? You can use 
Code:
sudo showkey -s
or
Code:
sudo showkey -k
to display scancode or keycode of each key pressed. These commands will quit themselves 10s after last key pressed.
The second one should print out this:
Code:
keycode 113 press
keycode 113 release
keycode 114 press
keycode 114 release
keycode 115 press
keycode 115 release
if were pressed Fn+F4(mute), Fn+F5(volume down) and Fn+F6(volume up) or this:
Code:
^[OSkeycode  62 press
keycode  62 release
^[[15~keycode  63 press
keycode  63 release
^[[17~keycode  64 press
keycode  64 release
if F4, F5 and F6 were pressed alone.
Code:
keycode 113 press
keycode 113 release
keycode 114 press
keycode 114 release
keycode 115 press
keycode 115 release

Yes, I am holding fn and the f keys together. I get the same output as above when I run the command you suggested.
(10-31-2020, 08:25 PM)erock22 Wrote:
Code:
keycode 113 press
keycode 113 release
keycode 114 press
keycode 114 release
keycode 115 press
keycode 115 release

Yes, I am holding fn and the f keys together. I get the same output as above when I run the command you suggested.
These are the keycodes defined in /usr/include/linux/input-event-codes.h:

Code:
#define KEY_MUTE                113
#define KEY_VOLUMEDOWN          114
#define KEY_VOLUMEUP            115

It means the keyboard is working fine, the problem is the keys are not used to change volume in your system.
It means the keyboard is working fine, the problem is the keys are not used to change volume in your system.

Interesting, I have the same problem in both the stock Manjaro  OS and on Armbian from the SDcard.
I applied the suggested fix for this months ago.  Today, I installed a big update for Manjaro 20.10.  Something like 30 packages.  Upon reboot this issue remarkably appeared again.  I find that strange?  Worse yet that this now boots up with the numlock on!

Now:
pine-F9 =  keycode 69 -- should be "Print Screen" but is KEY_NUMLOCK
pine-F10 = keycode 70 -- should be "NumLK" but is KEY_SCROLLLOCK
pine-F11 = keycode 119 -- should be "ScrLK" but is KEY_PAUSE
pine-F12 = keycode 69 -- should be "Pause Break" but is KEY_NUMLOCK
For resizing things, if openbox is involved, there's a property called border width.  By default this is set to 1 pixel so it's very hard to grab.  And it lives in a theme of all places.  http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Themes#border.width  openbox underlies LXDE, not sure what else.

(11-04-2020, 04:01 PM)ColoBill Wrote: I applied the suggested fix for this months ago.  Today, I installed a big update for Manjaro 20.10.  Something like 30 packages.  Upon reboot this issue remarkably appeared again.  I find that strange?  Worse yet that this now boots up with the numlock on!

Now:
pine-F9 =  keycode 69 -- should be "Print Screen" but is KEY_NUMLOCK
pine-F10 = keycode 70 -- should be "NumLK" but is KEY_SCROLLLOCK
pine-F11 = keycode 119 -- should be "ScrLK" but is KEY_PAUSE
pine-F12 = keycode 69 -- should be "Pause Break" but is KEY_NUMLOCK
Yes, I have numlock on print screen and pause, but not on numlock.  I never use any of them, but if numlock is on you can't type letters if they have numbers on them.  You can turn it back off with one of the keys that's doing that or
Code:
xdotool key Num_Lock

And this stays the same in mrfixit Stretch, Daniel Thomas Bullseye, or Manjaro so it's not the OS. It's maybe only been a problem since I updated the keyboard/touchpad firmware which I did 4 months ago, I don't remember, didn't notice it right away.
I've just updated the keyboard firmware and the touchpad firmware on my first-batch ISO PineBook Pro, using the community updater, and the two steps went as expected.  The keyboard remained usable after completing the first step, although something inside the laptop produced a hissing sound until the second step got completed.  The hissing sound was there before and after power cycling the laptop, upon the completion of the first step.

I've also completed the third, flash-kb step, which unfortunately caused the Fn + NumLock key combination to stop working.  The green LED still turned on and off as a result of depressing the Fn + NumLock key combination, but the respective "numpad" keys still produced letters instead of numbers with the green LED illuminated.  I haven't attempted to debug that; instead, I've repeated the two steps, ending up with the latest unpatched version of the keyboard firmware.

There are a couple of questions arising from this:
  • What's the source of the hissing sound?  The keyboard controller IC?  Has anyone else noticed that sound?
  • There's something wrong with the keyboard firmware patch that gets applied in the third step.  Could that be fixed?
Hiss, don't rememer that. From the speakers? Does a mixer like alsamixer affect it? Does it stop if you play a sound file?

You aren't mixing iso and ansi versions are you? A hiss is what random bytes sent to a PCM sounds like.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro on Debian 12 Power Issue u974615 1 230 03-13-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro Source for Trackpad Flex / Ribbon Cable rankharris 1 179 02-17-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: tllim
  HDMI or VGA From Pinebook Pro via Pinebook Pro Docking Deck? segaloco 0 151 02-13-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: segaloco
  Pinebook Pro charging issues tomekdev 1 525 01-05-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Replacement battery for PineBook Pro DrYak 3 955 11-07-2023, 10:09 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Separate ISO keyboard for PBP Besouro 0 649 06-04-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Besouro
  PineBook Pro dead ottahe 9 5,712 01-18-2023, 07:41 PM
Last Post: ottahe
  Pinebook Pro malfunctioned hardware samtux 10 4,140 12-27-2022, 03:31 PM
Last Post: samtux
  PineBook Pro revision 2.2: Wishlist for the hardware issue fixes dsimic 115 131,724 11-30-2022, 04:28 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Decent Pinebook Pro barrel PSU / Charger petaramesh 3 1,760 10-21-2022, 07:57 AM
Last Post: dachalife