Move Manufacturing from China to another country?
Yes
33.33%
No
66.67%
18 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Poll: Move production outside of China?
Instead of just discussing it, how about a vote?
No. The production problems are temporary and moving to any place else will bring on new problems. While those new problems would be mitigated over time, in the end we will see the costs of products go up while new delays and obstacles will split us on whether we made a mistake or not.

During the work up to putting man on the moon, NASA had a hard freeze on modifying the guidance computer because they wanted a computer they knew how to work with, rather than go to the moon with something that had unknown bugs and thus introduced unknown variables to a project demanding precision. I bought my first Pine64 product right as China shut down last year, and I now own half a dozen SoC/PBP/PinePhone computers, and countless accessories. I have come to admire the Pine64 team for what they have accomplished with the state of the world today. I say this as a guy who has lost two manufacturing jobs to China, and knows first hand how difficult it is to move a production center across the world.
Quartz64, RockPro64, PinePhone Mobian, PineBook Pro, PineTime, and all the trimmings that make FOSS fun.
(03-27-2021, 12:58 PM)MNtinkerer Wrote: No. The production problems are temporary and moving to any place else will bring on new problems. While those new problems would be mitigated over time, in the end we will see the costs of products go up while new delays and obstacles will split us on whether we made a mistake or not.

During the work up to putting man on the moon, NASA had a hard freeze on modifying the guidance computer because they wanted a computer they knew how to work with, rather than go to the moon with something that had unknown bugs and thus introduced unknown variables to a project demanding precision. I bought my first Pine64 product right as China shut down last year, and I now own half a dozen SoC/PBP/PinePhone computers, and countless accessories. I have come to admire the Pine64 team for what they have accomplished with the state of the world today. I say this as a guy who has lost two manufacturing jobs to China, and knows first hand how difficult it is to move a production center across the world.

If you had read other threads on the subject, production problems is not the reason for moving elsewhere.
Ye, and Yes. China violates human rights and persecute those who do not agree with the CCP Sad . I am so sorry to see tons of company of every category have their products being made in foreign country, specially China. Please, bring companies and manufactures back to their own contries. MADE IN USA, MADE IN ITALY, MADE IN SWEEDEN, MADE IN GERMANY, MADE IN POLAND, MADE IN BRAZIL, ETC...  Heart
It may not be best to do a vote if anyone can quickly make a account, because the China is known to have many shills and people working for them. I've seen them at work on articles from a Linux site "It's FOSS"

https://itsfoss.com/
Where is this Trumpian Anti-Chinese crusade supposed to lead? And what's next? Boycotting US products because of war crimes abroad and institutional racism at home? No more Indian Software because of the rabid Hindu nationalist government? The list is endless. Next some BDS supporter will demand that no Israeli software be used. Cool down, guys.  Cool Don't make this an unpleasant, ideological place, pleeeaaase.
Stupid to move production from such efficient and hard working individuals.
But: what if there were small repackaging  units in strategic locations?
Lets say some of these locations already exist in the form of Maker Spaces everywhere.
This could feed the maker movement by paying rent for sometimes expensive industrial locations.
DHL charges $45 for hazzling me through Pine64 logistics with a door address request. Pine64 could use
his money instead.
Suppose batteries could be shipped in bulk to strategical depots where they
either could be picked up by handy buyers that receive f ex a Pine64 note pro,
or even installed by volontary Pine64 certified repacking crews. Products would be
restamped with final assemby  and quality control location of this Makerspace.

Also: What if same locations could be used as ordering and pickup points?

Thanks for my 20 agoras input. (Israel)

Daniel +972.
(04-22-2021, 07:21 AM)Daniel972 Wrote: Stupid to move production from such efficient and hard working individuals.

So, you are saying other people are not hard working and efficient?
Sounds like CCP propaganda to me
No I am saying that your topic is slightly out of focus.
No it is not. There are many reasons for people wanting to move production out of China. Some oppose the Chinese government, others feel China has too much manufacturing control which could hurt other nations, etc..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why no ePacket shipping from China? KNERD 4 1,137 06-29-2023, 08:09 PM
Last Post: poundinitiative
  Discussion of Moving Production Outside of China LittleWalter 76 79,118 04-01-2021, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Xzska-collab
  Forum issues after the cluster move Dendrocalamus64 2 4,574 06-09-2020, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Dendrocalamus64