Back cover plastic woes
I finally received my phone and the second day I apparently snapped the thin plastic in between the volume and power buttons.  When the back cover was removed the buttons fell off.  With a careful hand I was able to put it back together and buttons are working, however now I am afraid to take the cover off again when needed.  

I could go on blah blah.  My only question is does anyone know of a ETA on back cover https://pine64.com/product/pinephone-bac...46c16e2e66  availability?  

thanks everybody
(03-22-2021, 08:29 AM)mteagles1942 Wrote: I finally received my phone and the second day I apparently snapped the thin plastic in between the volume and power buttons.  When the back cover was removed the buttons fell off.  With a careful hand I was able to put it back together and buttons are working, however now I am afraid to take the cover off again when needed.  

I could go on blah blah.  My only question is does anyone know of a ETA on back cover https://pine64.com/product/pinephone-bac...46c16e2e66  availability?  

thanks everybody

There's a STL that will allow you to print a replacement cover your self.

Where are you located, maybe I can print one for you and ship it to you?
(03-27-2021, 01:20 AM)dgdimick Wrote:
(03-22-2021, 08:29 AM)mteagles1942 Wrote: I finally received my phone and the second day I apparently snapped the thin plastic in between the volume and power buttons.  When the back cover was removed the buttons fell off.  With a careful hand I was able to put it back together and buttons are working, however now I am afraid to take the cover off again when needed.  

thanks everybody

Hello and thank you for your reply.  I am in WA state (USA) if that helps.  I will totally pay you for your trouble and the shipping!  If you are able to I'd take 2 or 3 even!!  3D printing is so cool Smile   I am also confused about the power / volume buttons.  Are they a part of the back cover?  Or part of the phone?  When they fell off there is no apparent place to attach them,  they just sit in the plastic holes (once cover is attached they work).  Just have to be very careful and patient when replacing the cover.................maybe super glue?  Anyone else experience problems with the buttons falling off?
(03-27-2021, 06:20 AM)mteagles1942 Wrote:

thanks everybody

Hello and thank you for your reply.  I am in WA state (USA) if that helps.  I will totally pay you for your trouble and the shipping!  If you are able to I'd take 2 or 3 even!!  3D printing is so cool Smile   I am also confused about the power / volume buttons.  Are they a part of the back cover?  Or part of the phone?  When they fell off there is no apparent place to attach them,  they just sit in the plastic holes (once cover is attached they work).  Just have to be very careful and patient when replacing the cover.................maybe super glue?  Anyone else experience problems with the buttons falling off?

I'm in New Mexico, so getting them to you should be fairly easy.

It'll take a small amount of time before I can print them up, I've got a few jobs currently in the Que, as well as I need to try and print one first. It looks like it shouldn't be an issue, however, you never know with 3d Printed stuff. Some days things just suck.

To answer the button question, yes, they just lay in the case, so every time you open the case your going to have to watch for them getting lost.

As for what it will cost, normally I only charge $1 an hour to print 3d designs that are open source, so the cost for each would be about $9 or so, then USPS shipping is about $10. Printing a few for you shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not sure what color filament I currently have, since I'll want to use PETG or ABS filament, PLA, the most common filament doesn't hold up to the heat the PinePhone puts out, as well as just sitting in the Sun light can cause it to warp.

Send me a PM so I don't forget about you, and if you don't hear from me in a week or so ping me again.
(03-27-2021, 06:35 AM)dgdimick Wrote:

thanks everybody

It'll take a small amount of time before I can print them up, I've got a few jobs currently in the Que, as well as I need to try and print one first. It looks like it shouldn't be an issue, however, you never know with 3d Printed stuff. Some days things just suck.

To answer the button question, yes, they just lay in the case, so every time you open the case your going to have to watch for them getting lost.

As for what it will cost, normally I only charge $1 an hour to print 3d designs that are open source, so the cost for each would be about $9 or so, then USPS shipping is about $10. Printing a few for you shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not sure what color filament I currently have, since I'll want to use PETG or ABS filament, PLA, the most common filament doesn't hold up to the heat the PinePhone puts out, as well as just sitting in the Sun light can cause it to warp.

Send me a PM so I don't forget about you, and if you don't hear from me in a week or so ping me again.

This got me thinking that maybe it would be possible to print the cover with a hole or slider/switcher for the killswitches underneath? I wrote about it in my own threath few days ago. https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=13459

I'm in Europe so maybe there is someone in EU area who has such a printer?
(03-28-2021, 02:26 PM)Mtravel Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 06:35 AM)dgdimick Wrote:

thanks everybody

This got me thinking that maybe it would be possible to print the cover with a hole or slider/switcher for the killswitches underneath? I wrote about it in my own threath few days ago. https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=13459

I'm in Europe so maybe there is someone in EU area who has such a printer?

I was thinking the same thing about an access hole. It's not that hard to modify the STP file, however, my Fusion 360 skills are currently not at the level where I could make the cover. Doesn't mean I can't learn to do it.

I just started printing the back cover, it's going to take about 7 hours, I'll post when it's finished.
(03-27-2021, 06:35 AM)dgdimick Wrote: To answer the button question, yes, they just lay in the case, so every time you open the case your going to have to watch for them getting lost.

The buttons are fastened onto a thin long flexible strip. This strip seems to snap on three very tiny pins molded into the case. The strip and buttons may be salvageable, but I'm not sure how the pins to hold the strip in place would print out.        

Another issue is that the area around the rear camera has a bulge, so the cover cannot be printed flat on the print bed. User sundog did manage to print it sideways, this might work. https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9188

The snap tabs all around the inner sides of the cover are very small, and the cover is very thin with variable thickness (more info on thread I linked). You may have to print this with very low layer height.

For these reasons I was thinking of having one printed by SLS process but I had quotes made and it's too expensive ($25 plus shipping which cost more).

I'll be interested in how this turns out! Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Alternative Designs or Materials for the Back Cover? BMayes 2 410 12-18-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: BMayes
  Replacement screen disconnects after back frame is screwed on robthebold 4 1,121 10-12-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: robthebold
  UV stabilised/resistant plastic? cmicallef 2 2,047 11-14-2021, 11:13 PM
Last Post: cmicallef
  Connection woes, modem troubleshooting within Bewilderforce 0 1,299 10-06-2021, 04:02 AM
Last Post: Bewilderforce
  Back cover with UBPorts logo cracked Phillip Bell 7 6,725 03-22-2021, 12:20 PM
Last Post: mteagles1942
Question Approximate leadtime for when the 3GB/32GB mainboard is back in stock? NormandC 2 3,022 12-15-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: NormandC
  Could information be printed on the inside back cover? desca 0 1,338 10-21-2020, 02:15 PM
Last Post: desca
Bug USB Type-C connector overmold conflicts with the back cover ngkz 1 2,825 05-10-2020, 12:19 AM
Last Post: tllim