PP for EU Only?
I am in the USA. Can I pre-order a Pinephone convergence?
(02-12-2021, 09:33 AM)WarpLover Wrote: I am in the USA. Can I pre-order a Pinephone convergence?

Curious to know what is going on myself? No pre-ordering in the US?
(02-12-2021, 09:33 AM)WarpLover Wrote: I am in the USA. Can I pre-order a Pinephone convergence?

Not at the moment. There are a couple of Community Edition phones coming back to the store at the moment (where the order has failed) so keep an eye on the store. As at today those available are in the EU store but there may be some at some stage in the main/China store.

Otherwise mainline convergence/new stock likely to be a bit after the end of Chinese New Year - likely the 15 Feb blog update will say more.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(02-12-2021, 02:37 PM)dukla2000 Wrote:

Otherwise mainline convergence/new stock likely to be a bit after the end of Chinese New Year - likely the 15 Feb blog update will say more.
Thank you!
How many units in that production run and which OS? (wait and see - I know)
Besides the warehousing.  What is the difference between the EU version and the other?  Anything?  I have family in the England.  Can I buy an EU version have it shipped to my family and then have them ship it to me in the USA?
There is no "Eu version". It's "Only EU Order". The phone is the same, it differs only in handling of shipping/order placing. When placing the order, VAT is also included for Poland (in EU). The phone will fly from Hong Kong to Poland to their warehouse there. From there it will be shipped inside the EU borders. I saw somewhere that the warehouse announced that they no longer can ship to UK because of Brexit.
(02-12-2021, 10:10 PM)pinepro Wrote: Besides the warehousing.  What is the difference between the EU version and the other?  Anything?  I have family in the England.  Can I buy an EU version have it shipped to my family and then have them ship it to me in the USA?
There is no difference. Exactly the same device, just divided into warehouses for better shipping
(02-12-2021, 02:37 PM)dukla2000 Wrote:

Not at the moment. There are a couple of Community Edition phones coming back to the store at the moment (where the order has failed) so keep an eye on the store. As at today those available are in the EU store but there may be some at some stage in the main/China store.

Assuming you have some insight into ordering/shipping,

I placed an order for a Pinephone on Jan 29th, to be shipped to the US, shortly after that, the ability to order Pine Phones was closed out. If I was able to place the order, and the Pine Store accepted the order, will I still get my phone?

I can post my order number if it's helpful.

Thanks,
Denis
(02-13-2021, 04:36 AM)dgdimick Wrote: Assuming you have some insight into ordering/shipping,

No, sorry, just a long time Pine64 groupie so somewhat familiar with the batch shipping process and where/when announcements are made.

Yes you will get your phone: I presume a Mobian community edition? Excellent choice, check the shipping thread related to that release. I can't remember if the USA orders were going to make before or after New Year - I think after?

And yes @pinepro, the UK is no longer served from the EU warehouse.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(02-13-2021, 04:54 AM)dukla2000 Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 04:36 AM)dgdimick Wrote: Assuming you have some insight into ordering/shipping,

No, sorry, just a long time Pine64 groupie so somewhat familiar with the batch shipping process and where/when announcements are made.

Yes you will get your phone: I presume a Mobian community edition? Excellent choice, check the shipping thread related to that release. I can't remember if the USA orders were going to make before or after New Year - I think after?

And yes @pinepro, the UK is no longer served from the EU warehouse.
Thanks for your reply,

I ordered the Convergence model, then went a bought the KB, case and Glass from the store. I'm thinking about buying a PineTab as well, I just have to wait and do a bit of research - I want to use it for Ham Radio, and I'm not sure if it will deal with WINE effectively; I've spent ZERO time looking into this.

Having used Linux for a lot longer then I'd normally admit, I bought the phone so I have a hook still into the OS. Stopped doing full time Linux work about 5 years ago when I was forced to medically retire.

From what I'm seeing, it looks like the early days of Linux, a lot of devoted users willing to "suffer" some growing pains to have a product that breaks for Microsoft, and Mac.

I still remember the "good old" days when Linux would randomly reboot, I also remember when the very first GUI was pushed out.
I do have to admit, I made a LOT of money over the years doing nothing buy Linux admin and support.