Wiki and file uploads
Hello,

I'd like to contribute to the Pine64 Wiki, and I need to upload a couple of PDF files that contain PineBook Pro component datasheets.  How do I actually do that?  The file upload limit on the Wiki is only 2 MB, and it also doesn't seem to permit uploads of PDF files.

On the other hand, there are already a bunch of files on files.pine64.org, so there must be a way for uoloading files.

Any help would be appreciated.
(12-04-2020, 07:23 AM)dsimic Wrote: Hello,

I'd like to contribute to the Pine64 Wiki, and I need to upload a couple of PDF files that contain PineBook Pro component datasheets.  How do I actually do that?  The file upload limit on the Wiki is only 2 MB, and it also doesn't seem to permit uploads of PDF files.

On the other hand, there are already a bunch of files on files.pine64.org, so there must be a way for uoloading files.

Any help would be appreciated.

What sort of content do you want to host?
(12-05-2020, 04:13 AM)evilbunny Wrote: What sort of content do you want to host?

A few PDF files containing hardware component datasheets.
(12-06-2020, 06:53 AM)dsimic Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 04:13 AM)evilbunny Wrote: What sort of content do you want to host?

A few PDF files containing hardware component datasheets.

I'd be happy to host them on my server until something better comes along.
(12-06-2020, 07:55 AM)evilbunny Wrote: I'd be happy to host them on my server until something better comes along.

I've already included external links to those PDF files in the wiki, so this is not a blocker, but having them "cached" would be a nicer option.

I suppose that using files.pine64.org, which I see used a lot, is out of question?
(12-06-2020, 08:05 AM)dsimic Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 07:55 AM)evilbunny Wrote: I'd be happy to host them on my server until something better comes along.

I've already included external links to those PDF files in the wiki, so this is not a blocker, but having them "cached" would be a nicer option.

I suppose that using files.pine64.org, which I see used a lot, is out of question?
Many of the docs are on "files.pine64.org". But when I used the Wiki editor, I was not able to see how to upload them their. For the few that I needed to upload, (a picture of the small board, etc...), I was able to use the normal Wiki site. They were small enough to fit.

In some ways we need a moderated upload site, for larger files. That would reduce / eliminate people attempting silly things like using the Wiki as a TOR site. I personally would have no trouble with the added moderation. But, I don't know if it's is technically feasible.

Long time ago, upload FTP sites used to implement a blind world writable directory. That usually stopped people. But in other cases, further security was used. A cronjob, (or daemon), would wait for the file to be finished uploading, then move it to another place. If it was SPAM, it could be erased. If it was someones attempt to use the FTP site as storage, they would be disappointed as the file disappeared very quickly.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(12-06-2020, 08:05 AM)dsimic Wrote:

You can email the PDF files to info@pine64.org and info team will upload to file server.
(12-07-2020, 10:45 AM)Arwen Wrote: Long time ago, upload FTP sites used to implement a blind world writable directory. That usually stopped people. But in other cases, further security was used. A cronjob, (or daemon), would wait for the file to be finished uploading, then move it to another place. If it was SPAM, it could be erased. If it was someones attempt to use the FTP site as storage, they would be disappointed as the file disappeared very quickly.

Furthermore, the upload directory on FTP sites would almost always be configured to return zero files in it, and to deny any downloads for successfully guessed filenames.  That pretty much made the abuse impossible.

(12-08-2020, 11:18 PM)tllim Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 08:05 AM)dsimic Wrote: I've already included external links to those PDF files in the wiki, so this is not a blocker, but having them "cached" would be a nicer option.

You can email the PDF files to info@pine64.org and info team will upload to file server.

Thank you very much!  That works for me, I'll wait until I make a "collection" of PDF files to be uploaded, and then I'll send them all at once.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine64 wiki capatcha nixcamic 0 1,119 02-05-2022, 11:38 PM
Last Post: nixcamic
  Recent changes to the Pine64 wiki dsimic 4 4,022 04-22-2021, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Daniel972
  just got blocked on wiki.pine64.org dieselnutjob 11 10,052 10-10-2020, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Avamander
  Locked out of wiki after changing skin. pizzalovingnerd 2 3,788 07-07-2020, 12:13 AM
Last Post: pizzalovingnerd
Information Make Wiki Great Again Luke 19 29,811 05-30-2020, 12:11 AM
Last Post: tllim
  wiki inaccessible bitstreamvera 4 6,059 10-02-2018, 02:51 PM
Last Post: SirSkorpan
Big Grin WIKI Login not used TLS encryption =0= joe 0 2,342 04-22-2018, 07:54 AM
Last Post: joe