Cluster / Render Farm
Is there any thread on this forum that is dedicated to the progress of Cluster attempt?  I didn't find any matches when I just searched.  My interest in the "Pine 64" is for Lubuntu (Linux) for rendering videos.
(01-15-2016, 05:20 AM)Ron Piggott Wrote: Is there any thread on this forum that is dedicated to the progress of Cluster attempt?  I didn't find any matches when I just searched.  My interest in the "Pine 64" is for Lubuntu (Linux) for rendering videos.

Hi,

AFAIK, they are talking with PicoCluster to extend their Pi's farms software also to the Pine64.

Regards,
drag00n
(01-15-2016, 05:20 AM)Ron Piggott Wrote: Is there any thread on this forum that is dedicated to the progress of Cluster attempt?  I didn't find any matches when I just searched.  My interest in the "Pine 64" is for Lubuntu (Linux) for rendering videos.

If you have interest to moderate, we can create the Cluster thread. I think this is a good topic.

... TL Lim
I really would really like a 'Cluster' area.

As I said already my interest in the 'Pine 64' is a render farm. I watched a video on YouTube of a Render Farm setup in 2010 with 24 nodes. Each node ran "Ubuntu". They stated their monthly electricity bill was in excess of $1,000. I am confident that the speed and memory of the $29 version of the 'Pine 64' is comparable to this. But the electricity consumption would be much less.

I've found tons of discussion about "Kdenlive" should have a render farm, but haven't yet found any actual "how to" guide, if it is possible. Where I see the Rendering can have scripts I have an inkling it is possible, but really don't know where to start.

I honestly can't commit to moderating this. I really wish I could. I personally am enduring an extended stint of physiotherapy.

I have one other comment for consideration unrelated to this. The Canadian economy has tanked. Where the Canadian dollar and United States dollar were on par with one another in 2012 it is now $0.69 on the dollar. You likely could greatly lower the cost of shipping to Canadian customers, if you have many, if there was a way of getting a bunch of these in Canada and shipped from Canada. E-bay has a shipping program for the United States to Canada. It would be worth looking into it if the cost would be any less. It is just a thought.

Ron
(01-16-2016, 08:35 AM)Ron Piggott Wrote: I really would really like a 'Cluster' area.  

As I said already my interest in the 'Pine 64' is a render farm.  I watched a video on YouTube of a Render Farm setup in 2010 with 24 nodes.  Each node ran "Ubuntu".  They stated their monthly electricity bill was in excess of $1,000.  I am confident that the speed and memory of the $29 version of the 'Pine 64' is comparable to this.  But the electricity consumption would be much less.

I've found tons of discussion about "Kdenlive" should have a render farm, but haven't yet found any actual "how to" guide, if it is possible.  Where I see the Rendering can have scripts I have an inkling it is possible, but really don't know where to start.

I honestly can't commit to moderating this.  I really wish I could.  I personally am enduring an extended stint of physiotherapy.  

I have one other comment for consideration unrelated to this.  The Canadian economy has tanked.  Where the Canadian dollar and United States dollar were on par with one another in 2012 it is now $0.69 on the dollar.  You likely could greatly lower the cost of shipping to Canadian customers, if you have many, if there was a way of getting a bunch of these in Canada and shipped from Canada.  E-bay has a shipping program for the United States to Canada.  It would be worth looking into it if the cost would be any less.  It is just a thought.

Ron

Thanks on the render farm interesting, there is always new things to learn everyday. Microserver clustering has been a hot topic for us especially there is potential can create a energy harvest and self sustain server farm.  Lets make few assumption: we have 12 hour sun light and 12 hour dark time, the Pine A64 board consumes 2.5w (noted on can go higher when all 4 CPU cores in fully utilization). Three large tables size solar panel can produce 1KW of energy, which can supply power to 200 Pine A64 board (800 64-bit ARM cores) with LiPo battery which consumes 5W per board while operating and charging. At night, the Pine A64 board which already has build in battery charger circuit will operate from LiPo battery. If the battery runs out of energy at mid night, it is still much cheaper to use power line at mid night when the energy cost is lowest. This is an interesting idea and can be use in a lot of applications such as render farm and others. We have collaborate with Picocluster and hopefully there are more microserver clustering interest, idea, and implementation can be flourish soon.

If someone interest to moderate the "cluster" thread, lets do it.

Somehow, Canada and US is neighbor country, but shipping costs just like ship to EU even with Ebay program. However, as I knows, Canada ship to US is cheap.
This is quite interesting idea!
Ron, I'm not very familiar with video rendering or kdenlive, but if you have enough spare computers you can set up a NFS share, a SSH connection and then use the the 2nd, 3rd,...nth computer to handle 1/nth of the rendering through a script, then you can snag all the sections and edit them into a consolidated file.
Example, you have 5 computers, you have a 7000 frame video to render you break the work into 7000/5 frame chunks and computer 1 will handles frames 1 through 1400, computer 2 will handle frames 1401 through 2800, etc. but you can start the jobs remotely through SSH on all the remote computers and then have them save the job on the NFS share when they are done.
We've seen a lot of interest for clusters in many applications. This whole area is just going to grow. We're trying out different use cases to show people just what is possible.
PicoCluster Team
info@picocluster.com
picocluster.com
Still needing a moderator?
(02-10-2016, 08:04 AM)ataylorm Wrote: Still needing a moderator?

Please PM khgoh. Thanks.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I started blogging on Pine64 Cluster salmangano 13 18,302 04-12-2017, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Shad0wSt4R
  Cluster Software Madroxprime 1 5,408 04-03-2017, 06:57 AM
Last Post: Shad0wSt4R
  Bargain 5 Node Cluster of PINE A64+ from Climber.net tllim 8 14,494 10-02-2016, 07:01 AM
Last Post: sheffield_nick
  Pine64 Cluster economy baryluk 5 11,007 06-19-2016, 09:13 AM
Last Post: JasperBrown
  cluster computing jproffer 20 35,910 05-05-2016, 04:13 PM
Last Post: pineresearch
  Cluster capable? W1SPY 7 12,311 02-25-2016, 10:34 PM
Last Post: hrh1818