Wobbly USB-C connector?
Sorry if this is a FAQ; I searched and didn't see anything. Just got my first PinePhone and while charging after the first boot I noticed that sometimes if the cable is bumped (such as by picking up the phone while it's charging) I'll here the connect/disconnect notifications chatter a few times.  This doesn't always happen -- oddly enough, if I gently flex the end of the cable to test how much play it has it usually doesn't chatter -- but it does continue to occur randomly, a bit more often than I would like.

Is this normal?  There does seem to be a good deal more play than with other USB-C phones I've compared against.  Is there a special charging setup (e.g., a charging stand that fits especially well) or handling technique  needed to avoid damage?
(09-21-2020, 02:30 PM)pregier Wrote: Is this normal?  There does seem to be a good deal more play than with other USB-C phones I've compared against.  Is there a special charging setup (e.g., a charging stand that fits especially well) or handling technique  needed to avoid damage?
Yes, at least in my case. It happens with the supplied red cable.
I must acknowledge I don't charge the phone on a flat surface, but leaning against the wall.
I have now another usb c usb a cable, but I must test yet if it works better.
Thanks! Good to know there's nothing out of the ordinary going on; I'll just keep an eye on it and be careful with the connector, and trust that if it ever causes problems with software there will be more than one pair of eyes on the issue.
(09-22-2020, 01:47 PM)pregier Wrote: Thanks!  Good to know there's nothing out of the ordinary going on; I'll just keep an eye on it and be careful with the connector, and trust that if it ever causes problems with software there will be more than one pair of eyes on the issue.
The supplied red cable usb-c connector (pinephone CE) is one mm longer than two commercially available cables that I have. This is probably one cause of the usb-c male connector not sitting firmly while charging.
Mine is pretty solid with the red cable. It does not cease charging when I jiggle it around. The connection on the usb/hdmi/ethernet dock isn't quite as good, and it tends to fall out under the weight of attached cables.

However, as an old Nokia N900 user, this scares the heck out of me. I hope the port is strong. I haven't tripped on the cable yet, but in the long run, it seems inevitable.
(10-16-2020, 02:19 AM)preflex Wrote: However, as an old Nokia N900 user, this scares the heck out of me. I hope the port is strong.  I haven't tripped on the cable yet, but in the long run, it seems inevitable.
On the plus side they're selling spares, so replacing the port is a relatively inexpensive option if it doesn't survive the inevitable trip:
https://pine64.com/product-category/smar...are-parts/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  USB-C connector Overheated and melted nickbenjones 2 1,177 05-26-2023, 06:16 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  GPS Antenna - external connector? GregH 14 11,239 09-09-2021, 09:24 AM
Last Post: HobanWashburn
  Fragile SIM card connector hakkou 1 1,752 08-25-2021, 07:44 AM
Last Post: wibble
  USB C connector loose? bceverly 3 2,871 08-10-2021, 09:44 AM
Last Post: c3l@
  Micro-USB 3.0 connector for the PinePhone? Peter Gamma 1 2,082 03-10-2021, 10:11 AM
Last Post: wibble
  broken connector-pin for the accu alwi 2 2,705 02-23-2021, 06:28 AM
Last Post: scholbert
  Main Board Swap: Camera connector problems tyha 5 4,553 11-19-2020, 06:25 PM
Last Post: pajux
Bug USB Type-C connector overmold conflicts with the back cover ngkz 1 2,825 05-10-2020, 12:19 AM
Last Post: tllim