USB Wifi Dongle
Is there a usb wifi dongle that works? I've tried WiPi and 2 others and haven't had much luck. Am I missing something? Huh
You need kernel support for the OS to find it. You can compile one or buy a dongle that is supported by your kernel. I'd supply you a proposed list, but I haven't had the time to do it the past weeks because IRL. :-(
Been talking to baryluk -- he is thinking about / working on a kernel that will have support for some of the popular wifi adapters. The support will be there in a couple of months I bet.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(05-02-2016, 04:28 AM)Luke Wrote: he is thinking about / working on a kernel that will have support for some of the popular wifi adapters. The support will be there in a couple of months I bet.

Really? Someone is working on a kernel? I know someone: longsleep. Here's the last commit: https://github.com/longsleep/linux-pine6...520140725d

So this has already been done. Now it's time to figure out how to get support for the now supported WiFi dongles in already existing OS images. It's easy, I posted that already ten times in the forums so won't do it any more. Ask the Pine64 guys why such essential information is missing from the download pages.
(05-02-2016, 04:28 AM)Luke Wrote: Been talking to baryluk -- he is thinking about / working on a kernel that will have support for some of the popular wifi adapters. The support will be there in a couple of months I bet.

I believe longsleep has also mentioned it. He also stated that if people post pull requests at his github he will consider adding them. 

To the OP for the time being there are virtually zero in the current kernel. You can usually get a list of all the modules  by;

Code:
cat /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/modules.builtin
(05-02-2016, 05:08 AM)rahlquist Wrote: I believe longsleep has also mentioned it.
He activated what's available in the BSP kernel already. All that's needed is him increasing the version number and pushing a new kernel tarball. And then it's time for the script none of the users know of.
(05-02-2016, 05:32 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(05-02-2016, 05:08 AM)rahlquist Wrote: I believe longsleep has also mentioned it.
He activated what's available in the BSP kernel already. All that's needed is him increasing the version number and pushing a new kernel tarball. And then it's time for the script none of the users know of.

Yeah was mainly referring to this http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?t...94#pid7294 

Hoping he can get a few of the easily acquired, and less buggy adapters going. I need to see how many I can dig up that are popular with other sbc.

Crap, nevermind I went and looked at his github.
(05-02-2016, 05:46 AM)rahlquist Wrote: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?t...94#pid7294 

In this thread someone else promised to send a PR (pull request) with a backported RTL8192CU driver (at least that's how it could be understood) and maybe longsleep is just waiting for this PR to be merged before increasing version number and providing the new kernel build with support for USB WiFi dongles?
(05-02-2016, 05:06 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(05-02-2016, 04:28 AM)Luke Wrote: he is thinking about / working on a kernel that will have support for some of the popular wifi adapters. The support will be there in a couple of months I bet.

Really? Someone is working on a kernel? I know someone: longsleep. Here's the last commit: https://github.com/longsleep/linux-pine6...520140725d

So this has already been done. Now it's time to figure out how to get support for the now supported WiFi dongles in already existing OS images. It's easy, I posted that already ten times in the forums so won't do it any more. Ask the Pine64 guys why such essential information is missing from the download pages.

I simply don't get why your comments are frequently so spiteful or/and cynical? But your tone is besides the point  - baryluk and many others are using longsleeps github. baryluk said something about creating a 'fat' kernel (presumably based on longsleeps work) that will, in all likelihood, support many more devices --- including different WiFi dongles.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(05-03-2016, 04:07 AM)Luke Wrote:
(05-02-2016, 05:06 AM)tkaiser Wrote:

I simply don't get why your comments are frequently so spiteful or/and cynical? But your tone is besides the point  - baryluk and many others are using longsleeps github. baryluk said something about creating a 'fat' kernel (presumably based on longsleeps work) that will, in all likelihood, support many more devices --- including different WiFi dongles.
How about a team effort. This is what tkaiser (if I may be so bold as to suggest I understand him a bit) and I both seem to be trying to get across that so many dont seem to get yet. The OS on the pine is in its infancy. It does no good to have 3 different kernels floating out there with users who cant even report bugs based on the latest one. All you are going to do is increase the worthless noise in the forum until it totally drowns out anything productive. It would be a lot better to have a team effort until this thing stabilizes, we would likely cover a lot more ground and get more done. Or we can have 5 people all building their own kernel fixing the same bugs at the same time. 

That says nothing about barylurk, his abilities or his goal. If he is competent, and can produce something worthwhile then by all means go for it. One STRONG suggestion tho, maintain full control of output, delete all publicly available old versions as the new ones come out, to help eliminate the issues we have now where someone manages to dig up the oldest possible version of code. 

tkaiser has a good point, over and over we are posting answers to questions and FFS the mods are doing little to NOTHING to sticky important information. Every sub forum should have a similar or linked sticky with the most common questions. How many button threads do we have to have? Hmm? How many external HD wont spin up threads?  (I stand corrected there are more stickies than I last saw, thank you mods) 

A definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. So if tones around here get a little short its likely because the people who are willing to help are getting sick of hearing the same questions over and over. Of watching a user who refuses to take proper troubleshooting steps to rule out thing like bad power or fake SD. How many times to we have to explain that while your Brand X smart phone charger is nice, hooking it to the Pine is useless because the power connection on the Pine units is full on Stupid. It wont tell your smart charger to release the current it needs. Or asserting "I know my SD card is real cause I bought it at Walmart/Amazon/Best  Buy and paid $90 for a 8GB SD card that says Samsung on it!" Ebay FFS has a whole page devoted to finding fake SD cards. And guess what kiddies, fakes make it into every damn retailer out there. They almost all purchase through intermediate sellers(middle men) who get their supplies from who knows where. It is the same way fake medications that look real but are 100% plaster make it into drug stores even in the good ol USA. 

As for the immediate subject, did you go look at the huge number of wifi adapters that longsleep recently added? It's just a matter of time till he releases a new kernel with them in it. Thats why I lined out everything in my post a few back.

And Luke I appreciate the effort you put into getting the irc server together, even though as I pointed out there was already a channel before that.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WiFi nano adapter EDIMAX chrissiles 7 10,516 02-26-2018, 08:13 AM
Last Post: Matthew
  WiFi module questions EricNelson 4 7,106 04-10-2017, 07:49 AM
Last Post: EricNelson
  WiFi Adapter Broke??? joshdude58 3 6,445 02-22-2017, 02:00 PM
Last Post: xalius
  MAC address of Pine wifi and Bluetooth addon clawinus 2 5,777 11-07-2016, 09:14 PM
Last Post: pfeerick
Exclamation wifi chip dominator18 5 6,162 06-02-2016, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Iugirl524