U-Boot for A64 git
longsleep,

I'm still at work and just got my PINE A64+ last night.

with your simple images, I saw earlier in the thread that they required a UART TTY to interact. Is this still the case? Or is a console started on the hdmi now?

thanks,
Rob
UART TTY required - there is no OS in the simple images and thus there is no console.
(04-29-2016, 02:02 PM)longsleep Wrote: UART TTY required - there is no OS in the simple images and thus there is no console.

thank you for the replay and clarification.

-rob
I just connected to the Pine A64+ with a Raspberry Pi A+

Pi GPIO-Pin6  --> Pine EXP Pin9
Pi GPIO-pin8  --> Pine EXP Pin8
Pi GPIO-Pin10 --> Pine EXP Pin7

on the Pi, using minicom
dev serial device: /dev/ttyAMA0
Bps/par/Bits:  115200 8N1
Hardware flow control: N
Software flow control: Y

if you see:
HELLO! BOOT0 is

then you're in

if you're already connected when you power on the Pine, you'll see the boot messages before it drops to a shell
I was successfully able to get an SD card to boot Debian's ARM64 netboot image. If there is any interest in this, let me know and I'll document the voodoo that eventually worked.

After installation, it creates /dev/tty1 on the hdmi, but it's still throwing all of the boot screens (console, lsb, etc) to the UART. I haven't figured out how to change the default output to hdmi.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

EDIT: figured it out... required an edit to the console= line in the uEnv.txt
console=tty1
Hi!

I wanted to leverage a little better I/O speed and mirrored the SD-card's root-fs to an USB flash drive stick and did some partitioning while I was at it ( dedicated /var/log and such ). Worked fine for my RPI2 so far, so I thought, it's worth a try.
The ext4 filesystem is happily located on /dev/sda1, mountable and looks perfectly healthy,
but I cannot figure out how to tell U-Boot to use it instead of /dev/mmcblk0p2

I tried several /boot/uEnv.txt parameters
Code:
root=/dev/sda1
nand_root=/dev/sda1
extraargs=root=/dev/sda1 rootwait rootfstype=ext4
and pretty much all combinations of the above I could come up with.

Still the pine keeps booting from root=/dev/mmcblk0p2, which also seems to be the default environment in U-Boot,which I found in longsleep's u-boot simpleimage of 23-Apr-2016

Code:
# dd if=simpleimage.img bs=1k skip=19096 count=1384 of=uboot.img
# strings uboot.img | grep mmcblk0p2

root=/dev/mmcblk0p2

Am I missing something in order to get /dev/sda1 to be used as rootFS?
Or does u-boot currently not honor the root/nand_root configuration option in uEnv.txt ?
Could also compile my own U-boot from longsleep's source and change the default environment...

Thanks for advice!

Thomas
I merged in support for custom root= into my initrd a while ago biut have not releases a new simpleimage with it. Rebuild the initrd with my gear or use the initrd from the latest Ubuntu image.
Thumbs Up 
(05-10-2016, 01:29 PM)longsleep Wrote: I merged in support for custom root= into my initrd a while ago biut have not releases a new simpleimage with it. Rebuild the initrd with my gear or use the initrd from the latest Ubuntu image.

Turned out, I already had the recent initrd.img and kernel from using your update script.
So I copied the boot0 and uboot from the latest ubuntu image, and now it boots from USB stick like a charm!

Thanks for the help and all the work you did so far!

Cheers
Thomas
(05-11-2016, 01:03 PM)spezi Wrote:
(05-10-2016, 01:29 PM)longsleep Wrote: I merged in support for custom root= into my initrd a while ago biut have not releases a new simpleimage with it. Rebuild the initrd with my gear or use the initrd from the latest Ubuntu image.

Turned out, I already had the recent initrd.img and kernel from using your update script.
So I copied the boot0 and uboot from the latest ubuntu image, and now it boots from USB stick like a charm!

Thanks for the help and all the work you did so far!

Cheers
Thomas

I had problem with external usb drives (2 connected). Each boot they had different dev names. So i created small fix (choosing rootfs by uuid, labels etc..), more info here: https://github.com/longsleep/build-pine64-image/pull/17

Initrd image with fix available here: https://chmura.jozzy.pl/index.php/s/SQLTOXN1cQRqGKl
Hi,

I did some modifications to u-boot to allow compilation with gcc-arm-linux-gnueabihf 5.3. I didn't test them yet because still I'm waiting for my pine64 to arrive. 

Some of those tricks I got from here:
https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUILD..._c99.patch

Other than this I had to add some cast to void* to avoid warnings. Some of the drivers are using memcpy with volatile pointers and this generates a warning in gcc5. I hope they know what they were doing and I just cast to void*.

This is just a workaround for the moment. See attached patched.

Attached Files
.txt   uboot-gcc5.txt (Size: 6.97 KB / Downloads: 435)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine Board using linux stuck during boot sequence ktaragorn 4 8,041 03-30-2019, 06:48 AM
Last Post: ktaragorn
  Secure boot & OTP efuse program devangpanchal90 0 2,568 05-25-2018, 01:59 AM
Last Post: devangpanchal90
  boot process for pine a64 awaysu 1 4,355 01-24-2018, 05:09 AM
Last Post: xalius
  Can't boot headless after running update_uboot.sh Borglesnorgle Williams 2 4,200 08-17-2017, 04:08 AM
Last Post: Borglesnorgle Williams
Exclamation Pine A64 Plus Fails to Boot grobbs 35 40,407 06-28-2017, 08:53 AM
Last Post: sarav_sara
  Boot issues: What todo when you muck up your FSTAB file Dagremote 1 3,705 04-16-2017, 10:28 PM
Last Post: pfeerick
Question Pine64 cannot boot jamiechang917 6 9,509 04-16-2017, 10:21 PM
Last Post: pfeerick
  OpenWRT supports ARMv8 - arm64, u-boot problem? rgdonato 4 6,666 03-20-2017, 03:59 PM
Last Post: rgdonato
  USB OTG Boot devilsclaw 25 38,536 03-01-2017, 03:22 PM
Last Post: CaptainZalo
  How to boot alternative kernel image with u-boot? zhouer 3 6,738 06-27-2016, 04:15 AM
Last Post: ssvb