USB C dock - hdmi adventure
I did the cc fix (removed two switches on the motherboard) on my PP BH in order to enable USB OTG and hdmi output. Booting the recent factory image flashed new firmware and ran tests just fine indicating I did not destroy anything in the process. I hooked up my cheap USB C hub and mouse and keyboards works fine. Oh how lovely it is to use the terminal with a physical keyboard! The hub even charges the PP while connected. 

Hdmi output did not "just work" and I need help with it. I got Mobian on emmc which requires (according to the mobian wiki) the internal screen to be disabled in order to get hdmi out working. My goal is to extend the desktop like on Martijn´s convergence video. So I booted Danct12´s Arch (Thank you @Danct12 for your hard work!) from sd card and installed wlr-randr. With the monitor attached it gives this output:

.jpeg   wlr-randr_1.jpeg (Size: 125.01 KB / Downloads: 880)

The monitor (HDMI-A-1 Asus VG249) is recognized and is enabled (I can move the mouse to the right as if I´m moving it over to the Asus monitor) but the monitor says No signal. I have tried a few different refresh rates and resolutions that is supported according to wlr-randr but still no sight of life on the Asus monitor. It does however wake up when I attach the hdmi cable so there is some connection. Disabling the internal (DSI-1) display have worked for some people but since I don´t have ssh I argue that I need the display on the PP. 

If someone have had success making both internal and external displays working like in Martijn´s video, please share how you did it. And if someone has any questions for me, please ask! Smile

EDIT: I tried with my TV as well, but its the same thing. TV is enabled but shows No signal.

.jpeg   wlr-randr_2.jpeg (Size: 125.01 KB / Downloads: 576)

EDIT2: Success! Setting 1280x720@50Hz enabled the external monitor! The result seems very random though because trying again with the same settings did not work. Reboot, fiddle, then it worked again. Until the phone froze that is. Non the less, this is a success and proof that it actually works! I have a video but cant upload it to the forum.

.jpeg   wlr-randr_3.jpeg (Size: 87.31 KB / Downloads: 640)

Video showing internal and external screens enabled:
https://youtu.be/x9klL7PyvS0
"- is there already a tool for overclocking it desperately?" 
Thanks, this works better than trying to use just the external screen. However, selecting what screen an app uses eludes me.
I did the CC fix as well on my upPorts CE edition. You made it farther than I did to get this up and running, I gave up trying to set up wl-randr. Seeing visual proof this is possible though, this has me so hyped! The future where I can just plug my phone into a dock and use it to write code and do everything my desktop does is inching ever so close... so close, but so far AaaAAAAAAAAGH

We just have to support the (sadly very few) guys writing the code however we can!
(07-31-2020, 01:36 AM)murak Wrote: I did the cc fix (removed two switches on the motherboard) on my PP BH in order to enable USB OTG and hdmi output. Booting the recent factory image flashed new firmware and ran tests just fine indicating I did not destroy anything in the process. I hooked up my cheap USB C hub and mouse and keyboards works fine. Oh how lovely it is to use the terminal with a physical keyboard! The hub even charges the PP while connected. 

Hdmi output did not "just work" and I need help with it. I got Mobian on emmc which requires (according to the mobian wiki) the internal screen to be disabled in order to get hdmi out working. My goal is to extend the desktop like on Martijn´s convergence video. So I booted Danct12´s Arch (Thank you @Danct12 for your hard work!) from sd card and installed wlr-randr. With the monitor attached it gives this output:

The monitor (HDMI-A-1 Asus VG249) is recognized and is enabled (I can move the mouse to the right as if I´m moving it over to the Asus monitor) but the monitor says No signal. I have tried a few different refresh rates and resolutions that is supported according to wlr-randr but still no sight of life on the Asus monitor. It does however wake up when I attach the hdmi cable so there is some connection. Disabling the internal (DSI-1) display have worked for some people but since I don´t have ssh I argue that I need the display on the PP. 

If someone have had success making both internal and external displays working like in Martijn´s video, please share how you did it. And if someone has any questions for me, please ask! Smile

EDIT: I tried with my TV as well, but its the same thing. TV is enabled but shows No signal.

EDIT2: Success! Setting 1280x720@50Hz enabled the external monitor! The result seems very random though because trying again with the same settings did not work. Reboot, fiddle, then it worked again. Until the phone froze that is. Non the less, this is a success and proof that it actually works! I have a video but cant upload it to the forum.

Video showing internal and external screens enabled:
https://youtu.be/x9klL7PyvS0
It might be worth trying out gnome, you can install gdm and gnome then do "systemctl disable phosh" and "systemctl enable gdm" then reboot and login to a gnome desktop, I assume the second monitor will just work from there, to get back to phosh you can either re enable it and disable gdm or select phosh from the gdm login screen
(08-07-2020, 08:55 AM)NO_ob Wrote:
(07-31-2020, 01:36 AM)murak Wrote: #snip
It might be worth trying out gnome, you can install gdm and gnome then do "systemctl disable phosh" and "systemctl enable gdm" then reboot and login to a gnome desktop, I assume the second monitor will just work from there, to get back to phosh you can either re enable it and disable gdm or select phosh from the gdm login screen
Interesting timing, because today I spent installing xfce on Mobian and banging my noob-head trying to get lightdm to show up after boot so that I could choose either xfce or phosh. Long story short I disabled lightdm.service and phosh.service after concluding that gdm was installed. I was greeted with a black screen and since I don't have ssh I think I have to reflash.

But yes, next step is to have either gnome/mate or xfce running so that window managing is a little more manageable. I'll post more later, thanks for the reply!

UPDATE: I have not been successful installing lightdm, but gdm has been good to me on arch. 

On arch I have installed lots of desktop environments but few actually started after login with gdm.
xfce: black screen then straight back to gdm log in.
Cinnamon:  black screen then straight back to gdm log in.
Mate:  black screen then straight back to gdm log in.
LXDE: started but I could not start any programs
Openbox (part of LXDE): started but had severe graphic bugs and did not start any programs
Gnome: Started but instantly greeted me with a error message that said "serious error, could not recover from.." BUT, pressing the win-key on a usb keyboard lets me go to the menu from where I can start programs and use the system as normal (aside from some graphical bugs in the app grid)

On mobian I used tasksel to install mate. Tasksel seem to have configured lightdm for me and I was able to log in to mate! I´ll play some more with this but so far wlr-randr does not start :/

UPDATE2: Getting this error when trying to start wrl-randr:

error: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set in the environment. failed to connect to display
"- is there already a tool for overclocking it desperately?" 
I am in the same position With the new Pinephone Postmarketos CE edition running Arch Arm. Connecting  the HDMI display to the dock is recognized, and then

wlr-randr --output HDMI-A-1 --on
wlr-randr --output HDMI-A-1 --mode 1600x1200

works with my monitor (Insignia 24" LED). The phosh background shows up and the mouse pointer moves properly. However, I have not figured out how to give the HDMI display "focus" or have apps display on it. If the monitor is left connected and the phone rebooted then the login screen does not show up on either display. The mouse pointer does tho Smile

Lots of reboots while connecting and reconnecting the dock and hardware to the dock.

LF
(09-06-2020, 03:54 PM)Lousy Fisherman Wrote: .However, I have not figured out how to give the HDMI display "focus" or have apps display on it. If the monitor is left connected and the phone rebooted then the login screen does not show up on either display. The mouse pointer does tho Smile
Lots of reboots while connecting and reconnecting the dock and hardware to the dock.
LF

The same however is not rather hardware issue related to Phosh. Let’s try with Gnome shell built. Works properly.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk
(08-07-2020, 10:32 AM)murak Wrote: Interesting timing, because today I spent installing xfce on Mobian and banging my noob-head trying to get lightdm to show up after boot so that I could choose either xfce or phosh. Long story short I disabled lightdm.service and phosh.service after concluding that gdm was installed. I was greeted with a black screen and since I don't have ssh I think I have to reflash.
If you are going to ride out on the bleeding edge you need to be prepared for everything to go wrong, serial isn't just for breakfast.   Big Grin   Keep a cable handy and you will always have a way back in, even if the display, WiFi and USB are all toast.  Beats reflashing and having to start from scratch.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb pinephone mobile dock jasmin763 2 1,630 06-06-2022, 09:06 AM
Last Post: 98cwitr
  USB dock - ethernet access Regula 2 3,131 07-14-2021, 11:54 PM
Last Post: TfromTexas
  HDMI troubles with Pinephone beta edition caveman250 9 8,117 05-23-2021, 12:52 PM
Last Post: whiteinge
  Is there any risk in plugging the PinePhone into a powered Thunderbolt dock? Mark53 2 3,236 10-27-2020, 03:32 PM
Last Post: Mark53