Mobian screen dims
Question 
I have flashed versions from 20200615 to the latest nightly and they all have the same issue on my Braveheart Pinephone. On booting and entering 1234 the ap drawer is presented and then 2 seconds later the screen goes off . I then no longer have access to the phone. I can unlock it again but to a blank screen. Help ?????
Do you have enough power, such as battery charged enough or the charger connected ?
    Some others have had problems attempting to power their phone from their laptop USB port.

Perhaps there is a problem with your SD card, or possibly the image on your card...
      Though if you are able to 'log-in'  it would more likely be a power problem.

(Personally I use Balena Etcher to flash my SD cards (all new cards) and I have not had a bad image yet)

I have the Brave Heart Edition phone as well,  running Mobian also.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(06-26-2020, 05:39 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Do you have enough power, such as battery charged enough or the charger connected ?
    Some others have had problems attempting to power their phone from their laptop USB port.

Perhaps there is a problem with your SD card, or possibly the image on your card...
      Though if you are able to 'log-in'  it would more likely be a power problem.

(Personally I use Balena Etcher to flash my SD cards (all new cards) and I have not had a bad image yet)

I have the Brave Heart Edition phone as well,  running Mobian also.
Phone is fully charged. I've used dd and belana and various cards plus todays nightly. Everytime I get the swipe up to login and enter 1234 and i briefly see the ap drawer and recently it looks like a quick flash of a language page and the screen is still lit but very grey near black. I can push the power button to lock and then unlock but the lock screen loks slightly dimmer each time allowing me to enter 1234 but to the blank page.
I can easily flash Manjaro, PmOs using Pmbuild and UB no issues. Just cannot seem to get Mobian to work. I'm game for any way of turning off screen dimming if its possible to access via usb as i have no sim card in and obvs the wifi hasnt been setup yet.
Can you try with the today's nightly and check if the problem is still here?

If that doesn't work, edit the file /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/90_mobian.gschema.override AFTER you have flashed the image and BEFORE you first boot into it (by mounting the SD card on you PC) and add the following line right after "sleep-inactive-ac....":

Code:
ambient-enabled=false
(06-27-2020, 03:12 AM)a-wai Wrote: Can you try with the today's nightly and check if the problem is still here?

If that doesn't work, edit the file /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/90_mobian.gschema.override AFTER you have flashed the image and BEFORE you first boot into it (by mounting the SD card on you PC) and add the following line right after "sleep-inactive-ac....":

Code:
ambient-enabled=false
Just using the nightly https://images.mobian-project.org/pineph...627.img.gz didn't make a difference. I tried the following by editing that file before putting the sdcard into the phone and it doesn't dim any more but after unlocking the screen is backlit but a grey colour no images . Really strange. I'm definately willing to try other things as I really want to try Mobian.
Right, so last idea that comes to my mind: remove /etc/udev/rules.d/10-proximity.rules
Maybe your proximity sensor is acting up, it happened before...
(06-27-2020, 03:25 AM)bcnaz Wrote: hmm....
I have had my best results with :   first Debian/Phosh    and now with Mobian.

If you have time on the app drawer screen, go to settings  >  power  > 'automatic brightness' and turn automatic 'off'

You say you have 'no issues' with the other  OSes ?    just Mobian ?

I am sorry to hear you are have such a frustrating problem just starting up your new phone.
It doesn't give me enough time to get to the settings. I have noticed if i re edit that file and set ambient mode to true that i briefly after unlocking see the app draw before the screen goes grey. If it is set to false i don't briefly see the app drawer. Does that help ???

(06-27-2020, 03:27 AM)a-wai Wrote: Right, so last idea that comes to my mind: remove /etc/udev/rules.d/10-proximity.rules
Maybe your proximity sensor is acting up, it happened before...
Bingo ! The above fixed the issue thank you so much.

Spoke too soon. Sad 

Screen has dimmed now so i'll go back and add the ambient line and test.

Right I seem to have got it now. I ad to remove the proximity rule and set the ambient mode to false. Then quickly go to settings and turn off auto brightness as the screen started dimming every second. Now the display stays on.
good Smile

can you tell me what's the output of the following command when putting your hand at various distances from the phone (top left area, just above the 4G/wifi icons), say 1, 2, 5 and 10cm:

Code:
cat /sys/devices/platform/soc/1c2b000.i2c/i2c-1/1-0048/iio:device1/in_proximity_raw

(just so we can confirm it's the proximity sensor)
(06-27-2020, 04:04 AM)a-wai Wrote: good Smile

can you tell me what's the output of the following command when putting your hand at various distances from the phone (top left area, just above the 4G/wifi icons), say 1, 2, 5 and 10cm:

Code:
cat /sys/devices/platform/soc/1c2b000.i2c/i2c-1/1-0048/iio:device1/in_proximity_raw

(just so we can confirm it's the proximity sensor)
1 - 3109
2 - 3024
5 - 2978
10 - 2972
Ok thanks! When you have time, could you please read through https://gitlab.com/mobian1/issues/-/issues/3 and replicate the measurements other people did?
(basically, every in_proximity_* files, both with the stock and custom kernel mentioned in the thread)

This would be helpful in trying to understand what's going on here (no hurry, it won't be solved overnight anyway).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,517 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 70 03-18-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  Screen auto-rotation sensitivity mdk 0 215 12-26-2023, 06:08 AM
Last Post: mdk
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,719 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,690 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 581 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,544 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  opensnitch outbound firewall now works on mobian vusra 2 1,799 07-09-2023, 01:37 AM
Last Post: vusra
  Using Nativefier on PP64 with Mobian paulcarton 0 577 07-05-2023, 03:57 AM
Last Post: paulcarton
  Screen stay black unless power key pressed short freelectro 0 602 06-24-2023, 01:55 PM
Last Post: freelectro