General getting started
Arwen,

This is not a complaint, only a suggestion, mainly for those PBP owners and users that are also new to the Linux operating system and programming language.  A personal note, I have found from past experience that social media forums are not always the best way to ask for assistance if/when any really big problem comes up when trying to use, or learn to use, a new product.  Social media forums can be of some use as a tool to address situations or problems that affect several users of a given product.  Some companies that I have done business with establish what that company terms 'tech support' or 'customer support' staff as a part if the basic business plan.  The main focus of the people in that section would be tasked with answering, or trying to answer, questions from those new users/owners that become frustrated almost to the point of attempting to demand a full and immediate refund of all charges the user/owner incurred while trying to get that new purchase to even start.  In my case, I had posted a few questions in the forums here about the Pinebook Pro that I recently received.  Generally, this laptop is a good quality item.  I have not been able to learn enough about it to say the laptop is a 'great' value for the cost involved.  To date, even after posting the qestions in some of the forums here, I have not seen or received any answer to my questions.  At present, my PBP is not boot-able.  When powered on, it will go to a screen or page asking for a password.  No matter what I might enter on that page, a message comes back: password failed.  My main question right now is: How can I either restore the original software on this laptop and start using it, or how could I load a different version of Linux on the laptop so that I would at least be able to use it?  Please help as my frustration is growing.
Thank you,
James Good
(06-19-2020, 09:45 AM)James Good Wrote: Arwen,

This is not a complaint, only a suggestion, mainly for those PBP owners and users that are also new to the Linux operating system and programming language.  A personal note, I have found from past experience that social media forums are not always the best way to ask for assistance if/when any really big problem comes up when trying to use, or learn to use, a new product.  Social media forums can be of some use as a tool to address situations or problems that affect several users of a given product.  Some companies that I have done business with establish what that company terms 'tech support' or 'customer support' staff as a part if the basic business plan.  The main focus of the people in that section would be tasked with answering, or trying to answer, questions from those new users/owners that become frustrated almost to the point of attempting to demand a full and immediate refund of all charges the user/owner incurred while trying to get that new purchase to even start.  In my case, I had posted a few questions in the forums here about the Pinebook Pro that I recently received.  Generally, this laptop is a good quality item.  I have not been able to learn enough about it to say the laptop is a 'great' value for the cost involved.  To date, even after posting the qestions in some of the forums here, I have not seen or received any answer to my questions.  At present, my PBP is not boot-able.  When powered on, it will go to a screen or page asking for a password.  No matter what I might enter on that page, a message comes back: password failed.  My main question right now is: How can I either restore the original software on this laptop and start using it, or how could I load a different version of Linux on the laptop so that I would at least be able to use it?  Please help as my frustration is growing.
Thank you,
James Good
What OS did your Pinebook Pro come with? If the default on your PBP is Debian, the default login credentials are rock/rock and the root credentials are root/root. If you want to load a different OS onto your Pinebook Pro's EMMC, you have two options: Flash a microSD to EMMC image to a microsd card, put it into your Pinebook Pro, and follow the instructions, or use Pine64's EMMC adapter and directly flash your EMMC from your computer. I recommend Manjaro's microsd to EMMC installer, as Manjaro is one of the best supported OS options for the Pinebook Pro at the moment. You can download different OS images here: https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pinebo..._Downloads. If you want live interaction, try the IRC chat. It may take a few minutes, but usually someone is online. I'm sorry to hear your questions haven't been answered! Usually the forum is much better at answering questions like this one. Please let me know if this helps!
Given the update cycle of Manjaro, don't get img files for Manjaro from the PBP wiki, use OSDN: https://osdn.net/projects/manjaro-arm/storage/pbpro/

If your PBP is new, it likely came with KDE Plasma. If you write the KDE emmc installer img to an SD card, and boot your PBP from it, it will guide you through freshly installing the OS.
(06-19-2020, 10:39 AM)TDC_PBP Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 09:45 AM)James Good Wrote: Arwen,

Thank you,
James Good
What OS did your Pinebook Pro come with? If the default on your PBP is Debian, the default login credentials are rock/rock and the root credentials are root/root. If you want to load a different OS onto your Pinebook Pro's EMMC, you have two options: Flash a microSD to EMMC image to a microsd card, put it into your Pinebook Pro, and follow the instructions, or use Pine64's EMMC adapter and directly flash your EMMC from your computer. I recommend Manjaro's microsd to EMMC installer, as Manjaro is one of the best supported OS options for the Pinebook Pro at the moment. You can download different OS images here: https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pinebo..._Downloads. If you want live interaction, try the IRC chat. It may take a few minutes, but usually someone is online. I'm sorry to hear your questions haven't been answered! Usually the forum is much better at answering questions like this one. Please let me know if this helps!
The PBP came with Manjaro preinstalled.  I will retry the credentials a little later this evening.  Thank you.
James Good

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro only started once River 8 2,674 11-25-2022, 06:54 PM
Last Post: River
  How is youtube and general web browsing on the PineBook Pro? catloaf 4 3,091 06-22-2022, 01:49 PM
Last Post: gravedigger
  Recently started getting a lot of double letter input when typing. tyerod 6 5,017 06-04-2021, 10:33 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  General getting started James Good 8 8,766 10-16-2020, 12:52 PM
Last Post: James Good