ESP32 Development
Just curious if anyone has used the PBP for developing ESP32 firmware.  Ideally it would be nice to code, build, program, and maybe JTAG debug (Segger J-Link) on this platform.  My preferred development platform is Espressif's IDF SDK (not Arduino).  Curious to see if there are any other firmware engineers out there.  Smile
(06-05-2020, 06:53 AM)besterm Wrote: Just curious if anyone has used the PBP for developing ESP32 firmware.  Ideally it would be nice to code, build, program, and maybe JTAG debug (Segger J-Link) on this platform.  My preferred development platform is Espressif's IDF SDK (not Arduino).  Curious to see if there are any other firmware engineers out there.  Smile
I was able to build the xtensa toolchain on the pinebook pro and use the IDF SDK (4.2) to build projects.  This is going to be my ESP32 dev machine.
I'm currently working nix expressions to build the toolchain automatically, if this works (think I'm at 80%) it will be upstreamed
(06-22-2020, 03:44 PM)fxk8y Wrote: I'm currently working nix expressions to build the toolchain automatically, if this works (think I'm at 80%) it will be upstreamed
FYI - The toolchain took overnight to build for me on the PBP.
OK.  I have settled in on using codeblocks IDE for developing ESP32 IDF project code.  Whenever I want to build the project, I just switch over to my bash shell and do a quick "make" command from within the project folder.  If I want to program my ESP32 board, I just have to use the command "make flash".  Debug serial output can be monitored with the "make monitor" command.  I haven't tried to use OCD/GDB on the pinebook pro yet.