Pi2 Server Comparison - Rough
I just stood up a simple Samba server on my Pine64, configured the same as my existing Pi2 server.  I tested it using a robocopy backup script with a set of sample files.  Here are the details:

Files:
1 ripped dvd
1000+ epub books
Miscellaneous small files

Configuration:
Pi 2 model B
WD Red 3tb drive
Sabrent USB3.0 enclosure

Pine64 2mb
WD Red 3tb drive
Sabrent USB3.0 enclosure

Quick results:
Pi2
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
               Total    Copied   Skipped  Mismatch    FAILED    Extras
    Dirs :      1752      1752         0         0         0         0
   Files :      4482      4482         0         0         0         0
   Bytes :   5.490 g   5.490 g         0         0         0         0
   Times :   0:17:20   0:15:55                       0:00:00   0:01:25

Speed :             6170786 Bytes/sec.
   Speed :             353.095 MegaBytes/min.
   Ended : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 9:16:25 AM

Pine64
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Times :   0:06:47   0:06:06                       0:00:00   0:00:41

Speed :            16096822 Bytes/sec.
   Speed :             921.067 MegaBytes/min.
   Ended : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 9:27:49 AM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also then deleted test files, and the Pine64 won easily.

Pi2 - avg 33 items/sec, time 3:40
Pine64 - avg 45 items/sec, time 2:40

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is just what I was hoping for.   Now to install DokuWiki and see how it compares to the Pi.
(04-19-2016, 07:48 AM)JCMPine64 Wrote: I just stood up a simple Samba server on my Pine64, configured the same as my existing Pi2 server.  I tested it using a robocopy backup script with a set of sample files.  Here are the details:

Files:
1 ripped dvd
1000+ epub books
Miscellaneous small files

Configuration:
Pi 2 model B
WD Red 3tb drive
Sabrent USB3.0 enclosure

Pine64 2mb
WD Red 3tb drive
Sabrent USB3.0 enclosure

Quick results:
Pi2
   Times :   0:17:20   0:15:55                       0:00:00   0:01:25

Speed :             6170786 Bytes/sec.
   Speed :             353.095 MegaBytes/min.
   Ended : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 9:16:25 AM

Pine64
   Times :   0:06:47   0:06:06                       0:00:00   0:00:41

Speed :            16096822 Bytes/sec.
   Speed :             921.067 MegaBytes/min.
   Ended : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 9:27:49 AM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also then deleted test files, and the Pine64 won easily.

Pi2 - avg 33 items/sec, time 3:40

This is just what I was hoping for.   Now to install DokuWiki and see how it compares to the Pi.
Do you have GB-LAN on the pine? Mine only has 100Mbit, cause i have the 64+ with 2GB RAM...
With GB lan thats not impressive, only comparing both with 100Mbits...

Gesendet von meinem K00L mit Tapatalk
Still a linux newbie with several EEE-PCs, PI's, LattePanda and some Desktops/Laptops running Win10. Now also proudly using Pine64+ 2GB and gigabit LAN
(04-19-2016, 08:55 AM)androsch Wrote:
(04-19-2016, 07:48 AM)JCMPine64 Wrote: I just stood up a simple Samba server on my Pine64, configured the same as my existing Pi2 server.  I tested it using a robocopy backup script with a set of sample files.  Here are the details:

Do you have GB-LAN on the pine? Mine only has 100Mbit, cause i have the 64+ with 2GB RAM...
With GB lan thats not impressive, only comparing both with 100Mbits...

I do have Gb LAN connecting the Pi and my main computer, but the Pine64 is connected through a 100Mb switch.

I figure that the LAN is not the bottleneck in this situation, it's probably a combination of the LAN-USB pathing on the board and ultimately the USB2.1 speed to the disk.
(04-19-2016, 07:48 AM)JCMPine64 Wrote: Pi2 - avg 33 items/sec, time 3:40

Do you have GB-LAN on the pine?

He has. But the performance numbers are just an indication that Samba and TCP/IP parameters need some tweaking. Even on a Raspberry Pi that suffers from his single USB2.0 connection to the outside where every packet between disk and network passes this USB connection twice you should be able to get at least twice the speed.

I tried to summarize what's necessary/important when you want to use a SBC as NAS a while ago after some extensive testing: http://linux-sunxi.org/Sunxi_devices_as_NAS (most if not all also applies also to Pine64 except of less I/O bandwidth due to missing SATA and limited network bandwidth on the small model)

Please keep in mind that the Pine64 is also somewhat limited regarding USB2.0 connections but it should be able to exceed 30 MB/s sequential SMB transfers already (using BSP kernel 3.10.x). With mainline kernel and UASP capable disk enclosures the Pine64 will show improved sequential disk speeds (close to 40 MB/s should be possible using appropriate settings which will also result in better NAS performance on GBit equipped Pines) and also random I/O will improve a lot. 

So using kernel 4.6 or above Pine64 will move up a little bit and gets close to old A20 boards that use a single disk Smile
(04-19-2016, 09:09 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(04-19-2016, 07:48 AM)JCMPine64 Wrote: Pi2 - avg 33 items/sec, time 3:40

Do you have GB-LAN on the pine?

He has. But the performance numbers are just an indication that Samba and TCP/IP parameters need some tweaking. Even on a Raspberry Pi that suffers from his single USB2.0 connection to the outside where every packet between disk and network passes this USB connection twice you should be able to get at least twice the speed.

I tried to summarize what's necessary/important when you want to use a SBC as NAS a while ago after some extensive testing: http://linux-sunxi.org/Sunxi_devices_as_NAS (most if not all also applies also to Pine64 except of less I/O bandwidth due to missing SATA and limited network bandwidth on the small model)

Please keep in mind that the Pine64 is also somewhat limited regarding USB2.0 connections but it should be able to exceed 30 MB/s sequential SMB transfers already (using BSP kernel 3.10.x). With mainline kernel and UASP capable disk enclosures the Pine64 will show improved sequential disk speeds (close to 40 MB/s should be possible using appropriate settings which will also result in better NAS performance on GBit equipped Pines) and also random I/O will improve a lot. 

So using kernel 4.6 or above Pine64 will move up a little bit and gets close to old A20 boards that use a single disk Smile

Interesting read.  Thanks for the link.  I think that tweaking the SAMBA and TCP/IP parameters exceed my skill level and time availability (3 kids under 5), so I'd be very interested in what people with real NAS expertise come up with.
Excellent!

Looking forward to your other tests!
(04-19-2016, 09:19 AM)JCMPine64 Wrote:
(04-19-2016, 09:09 AM)tkaiser Wrote: I tried to summarize what's necessary/important when you want to use a SBC as NAS a while ago after some extensive testing: http://linux-sunxi.org/Sunxi_devices_as_NAS 

Interesting read.  Thanks for the link.  I think that tweaking the SAMBA and TCP/IP parameters exceed my skill level and time availability (3 kids under 5), so I'd be very interested in what people with real NAS expertise come up with.

Already on my list. I have to admit that I'm not using Windows personally but since we're starting to move customer's file servers to Samba 4.x within the next months since now Samba has also full OS X support I will also test with SBCs and if I come up with interesting stuff/settings I'll write it as usual to the linux-sunxi wiki (I hate fragmentation so documentation will be written where it belongs to)
(04-19-2016, 09:34 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(04-19-2016, 09:19 AM)JCMPine64 Wrote:
(04-19-2016, 09:09 AM)tkaiser Wrote: I tried to summarize what's necessary/important when you want to use a SBC as NAS a while ago after some extensive testing: http://linux-sunxi.org/Sunxi_devices_as_NAS 

Already on my list. I have to admit that I'm not using Windows personally but since we're starting to move customer's file servers to Samba 4.x within the next months since now Samba has also full OS X support I will also test with SBCs and if I come up with interesting stuff/settings I'll write it as usual to the linux-sunxi wiki (I hate fragmentation so documentation will be written where it belongs to)

Just for confirmation: Regarding the PIs all have just 100Mbits and my Pine at the moment also only works with a port speed of 100Mbits, there seems to be no need for me to switch from PI to Pine, as im getting about 10-11MBytes transfer rates which is caused by the network speed. So no need for the optimization at the moment, right?

Thanks nevertheless for the link and your upcoming tests, will check this out with hopefully higher speeds possible at my Pine later.

Still a linux newbie with several EEE-PCs, PI's, LattePanda and some Desktops/Laptops running Win10. Now also proudly using Pine64+ 2GB and gigabit LAN
(04-19-2016, 09:47 AM)androsch Wrote: Regarding the PIs all have just 100Mbits and my Pine at the moment also only works with a port speed of 100Mbits, there seems to be no need for me to switch from PI to Pine, as im getting about 10-11MBytes transfer rates which is caused by the network speed. So no need for the optimization at the moment, right?

Right, but I'm wondering why your Pine64 only negotiates with Fast Ethernet? Both my 2 Pine64+ worked flawlessly with various GbE capable switches and throughput was above 500 Mbits/sec in both directions tested against a MacBook that is known to exceed 940 Mbits/sec.

In the meantime I focussed a lot on H3 (A64's ARMv7 sibling known from the Orange Pis) and there we got a working Ethernet mainline kernel driver in the meantime thanks to the hard work of the linux-sunxi community and we were able to get ~460 MBits/sec in both directions simultaneously. So while this is okish and not that great it also means the issue will be resolved sooner or later since the Ethernet IP block in H3 and A64 (and A83T) seems to be the same (and the two boards we tested with -- Orange Pi Plus and Banana Pi M2+ -- also use the RTL8211E PHY as used with Pine64+).

To be honest: the Ethernet driver from Allwinner's BSP is crap. Not only the integer overflow that crashed the 2GB boards in the beginning is a good sign for that, the driver also is known to break whole protocol families (like AppleTalk -- the older might know what that is Wink

In other words: Mainlining effort is progressing nicely and Pine64 will get better/faster over time due to better kernel/drivers Smile
(04-19-2016, 10:17 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(04-19-2016, 09:47 AM)androsch Wrote: Regarding the PIs all have just 100Mbits and my Pine at the moment also only works with a port speed of 100Mbits, there seems to be no need for me to switch from PI to Pine, as im getting about 10-11MBytes transfer rates which is caused by the network speed. So no need for the optimization at the moment, right?

Right, but I'm wondering why your Pine64 only negotiates with Fast Ethernet? Both my 2 Pine64+ worked flawlessly with various GbE capable switches and throughput was above 500 Mbits/sec in both directions tested against a MacBook that is known to exceed 940 Mbits/sec.

In the meantime I focussed a lot on H3 (A64's ARMv7 sibling known from the Orange Pis) and there we got a working Ethernet mainline kernel driver in the meantime thanks to the hard work of the linux-sunxi community and we were able to get ~460 MBits/sec in both directions simultaneously. So while this is okish and not that great it also means the issue will be resolved sooner or later since the Ethernet IP block in H3 and A64 (and A83T) seems to be the same (and the two boards we tested with -- Orange Pi Plus and Banana Pi M2+ -- also use the RTL8211E PHY as used with Pine64+).

To be honest: the Ethernet driver from Allwinner's BSP is crap. Not only the integer overflow that crashed the 2GB boards in the beginning is a good sign for that, the driver also is known to break whole protocol families (like AppleTalk -- the older might know what that is Wink

In other words: Mainlining effort is progressing nicely and Pine64 will get better/faster over time due to better kernel/drivers Smile
I believe you mentioned that in the past the H3 suffered the same lack of HDMI compatibility. Is there any info you can share from that with the folks working with linux on Pine and Allwinner's BSP that would help to expand compatibility to other HDMI devices?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Plex server abrmx 3 5,029 08-16-2017, 05:09 PM
Last Post: abrmx
  IRC server issues Luke 7 7,681 07-08-2016, 01:53 PM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777