Devuan Appear to Work
This thread is to post that, in my experience, migrating from the default Debian to Devuan works without issue. I will note that you need to use Devuan ASCII, Beowulf will not let you upgrade properly. I have not extensively gone through to test features, I will post if I run into any issues.

Steps:
1. Install sysv init system
2. Reboot
3. Install WICD (this is temporary, and unnecessary if you know how to use wpa_supplicant)
4. Stop NetworkManager, and start WICD (or wpa and dhcpcd)
5. Change /etc/apt/sources.list from the default debian repo to deb.devuan.org/merged and change Jessie to ASCII
6. Purge systemd (this will also remove mate, lightdm, and networkmanager)
7. Apt update and install devuan keyring, by running 'apt-get --allow-unauthenticated' (there must be a better way to do this, but I don't know it)
8. Apt upgrade
9. Install NetworkManager, lightdm, eudev, elogind, and whatever de or wm you want
Steps to do something new? Moving to Tutorials.
couple of thoughts
> change Jessie to ASCII ,, you of course mean stretch ->ASCII
Lots of times the package manager will refuse to allow you to install both nm and wicd
I don't know if that is the case here, you probably can --force
OTOH, it is always useful to be able to connect with cli
(01-21-2020, 03:11 PM)Zachir999 Wrote: This thread is to post that, in my experience, migrating from the default Debian to Devuan works without issue. I will note that you need to use Devuan ASCII, Beowulf will not let you upgrade properly. I have not extensively gone through to test features, I will post if I run into any issues.

Steps:
2. Reboot
3. Install WICD (this is temporary, and unnecessary if you know how to use wpa_supplicant)
5. Purge systemd (this will also remove mate, lightdm, and networkmanager)
6. Change /etc/apt/sources.list from the default debian repo to deb.devuan.org/merged and change Jessie to ASCII
7. Apt update and install devuan keyring, by running 'apt-get --allow-unauthenticated' (there must be a better way to do this, but I don't know it)
8. Apt upgrade
9. Install NetworkManager, lightdm, and whatever de or wm you want

Zachir999,

Interested in trying this Devuan install:

Wondering if there are any additional insights, caveats or suggestions that have raised their little heads since posting this tutorial?  Thanks in advance for your reply!
(01-27-2020, 03:54 PM)PineFan Wrote:
(01-21-2020, 03:11 PM)Zachir999 Wrote: This thread is to post that, in my experience, migrating from the default Debian to Devuan works without issue. I will note that you need to use Devuan ASCII, Beowulf will not let you upgrade properly. I have not extensively gone through to test features, I will post if I run into any issues.

Steps:
2. Reboot
6. Change /etc/apt/sources.list from the default debian repo to deb.devuan.org/merged and change Jessie to ASCII
8. Apt upgrade

Zachir999,

Wondering if there are any additional insights, caveats or suggestions that have raised their little heads since posting this tutorial?  Thanks in advance for your reply!
So, one big caveat is that NetworkManager does not work, in Devuan ASCII. At least, I could never get it to, so I've been using WPA_supplicant, although WICD should also still work.
(01-27-2020, 04:39 PM)Zachir999 Wrote:
(01-27-2020, 03:54 PM)PineFan Wrote:

Steps:
2. Reboot
8. Apt upgrade

Zachir999,

So, one big caveat is that NetworkManager does not work, in Devuan ASCII. At least, I could never get it to, so I've been using WPA_supplicant, although WICD should also still work.
Thanks very much!
This thread got me interested, so I thought I'd give it a try. Started with the latest mrfixit image on an sd card. Loaded sysvinit-core and rebooted. So far so good - now I have sysV as my init system.

Then I got stuck on step 4. Loaded wicd, but it doesn't seem to work unless NetworkManager is running too (the wicd gui doesn't see any networks). Since the instructions state that purging systemd with take NetworkManager with it, I can't move forward without a network ...

Any thoughts on what I'm missing?
(01-30-2020, 03:28 PM)rleasle Wrote: This thread got me interested, so I thought I'd give it a try. Started with the latest mrfixit image on an sd card. Loaded sysvinit-core and rebooted. So far so good - now I have sysV as my init system.

Then I got stuck on step 4. Loaded wicd, but it doesn't seem to work unless NetworkManager is running too (the wicd gui doesn't see any networks). Since the instructions state that purging systemd with take NetworkManager with it, I can't move forward without a network ...

Any thoughts on what I'm missing?

I'm not sure. WICD and NetworkManager are independent of each other, so I don't know why you'd need nm to run wicd. When I did it, I used WPA_supplicant, wicd was suggested by the Devuan team for migrating. I installed wicd after changing the repos, so maybe try using the Devuan build? Or connman? I'll look into it when I get home
I got networking to work with just wpa_supplicant and no NetworkManager or wicd (probably not the right way, but it works for this experiment).  Moved on to purging systemd, updated sources.list, did an apt-get update/upgrade.

When I tried to install a DE, got a conflict installing the elogind package (dependency for lots of stuff) and the udev package.

Not sure if I should give up, start over, or try something radical with apt-get.

Code:
# apt-get install elogind
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
Recommended packages:
 policykit-1
The following NEW packages will be installed:
 elogind
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
3 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/471 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1668 kB of additional disk space will be used.
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
 elogind
Authentication warning overridden.
(Reading database ... 83889 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../elogind_234.4-2_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking elogind (234.4-2) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/elogind_234.4-2_armhf.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/lib/udev/rules.d/70-power-switch.rules', which is also in package udev 232-25+deb9u11
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/elogind_234.4-2_armhf.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
#
(02-01-2020, 11:56 AM)rleasle Wrote: I got networking to work with just wpa_supplicant and no NetworkManager or wicd (probably not the right way, but it works for this experiment).  Moved on to purging systemd, updated sources.list, did an apt-get update/upgrade.

When I tried to install a DE, got a conflict installing the elogind package (dependency for lots of stuff) and the udev package.

Not sure if I should give up, start over, or try something radical with apt-get.

Code:
# apt-get install elogind
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
Recommended packages:
 policykit-1
The following NEW packages will be installed:
 elogind
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
3 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/471 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1668 kB of additional disk space will be used.
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
 elogind
Authentication warning overridden.
(Reading database ... 83889 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../elogind_234.4-2_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking elogind (234.4-2) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/elogind_234.4-2_armhf.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/lib/udev/rules.d/70-power-switch.rules', which is also in package udev 232-25+deb9u11
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/elogind_234.4-2_armhf.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
#
Which DE did you try to install? I installed MATE and had no issues, I can take a look when I get another SD card.