US 4G/5G LTE support
(12-19-2019, 07:49 PM)tllim Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 05:26 PM)bcnaz Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 04:18 PM)tllim Wrote: There is no plan to release PinePhone with EC25-AF module  until  "market call"  for such request.

IF  ..  there is even a slight chance of different hardware to be offered in later versions of the Pine phone.

"  Maybe a Poll asking for options available in some future Pine phones  "   ?

A slightly more "North American optimized"  modem would be nice !

Also,   Any  "Possibility"  of being able to use the GPS independent of the Cell modem...  ( ? )

Thank You  !

Even if it cost extra for the option,  It would be worth it..!

There is no plan to support another PinePhone SKU, this means no plan using independent GPS module.

AWW  !

Thank you very much for your reply,  even if it is disappointing .
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Two things make a modem 5G capable - the frequency bands and the way the modem accesses them. AT&T is using 850Mhz to start for theirs and standard LTE as the method (they call it 5G E) T-Mobile is using 600Mhz, augmented by 700 MHz, and 2500 MHz if their merger with Sprint happens also starting with LTE-A. The Quectel modems are capable of the base 5G standard (LTE).  So, although not really any faster, technically it can be called 5G. I need to read the spec sheets more to see if their modem is capable of the follow on 5GNR standard and I'll probably have to discuss it with their engineers. Or you can. I'll gladly relay who I've been talking to at Quectel if it will help get the ball rolling on maybe using their EC25-AF or another North American optimized modem in a run of PinePhones.

Here's some technical data on the 5G standards

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/americas-f...5g-network

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_5G_NR_networks

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/5G_NR

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/5G

The first article from T-mobile says they will let anyone with a 5G capable modern on their Network - which is band 71. So I don't know anything about it being closed or having to register your device specially with them to gain access. But then I haven't talked to T-mobile about it. You obviously have so you must know more about that then me.

Or maybe see if their RG500Q is pin compatible https://www.quectel.com/product/rg500q.htm   Or one of the higher bandwidth LTE-A modems, if what I'm reading here is coorect - that at&t and T-Mobile don't intend to use anything other than standard LTE or LTE-A on their 600 and 700 MHz spectrum for now. But if they require device whitelisting ... That would be wasted money if they won't whitelist Pinephone

The RG500Q is a different kind of animal and I have the draft spec. Regarding the AT&T "5G ready" is a marketing term, may not afford to create a PinePhone SKU for this purpose which involve a lot of financial burden (inventory costs).
New guy; sorry if I don't understand everything. I guess I would be wondering, in general, if I were to get one of these phones would I at least get the same ability I have with my 4G AT&T SIM card that I use with my Moto phone now? In other words can it connect like other 4G AT&T phones can do now? Sounds like the answer might be "not quite"? Thanks.

--
Steve
(01-04-2020, 08:57 PM)Stevelk Wrote: New guy; sorry if I don't understand everything. I guess I would be wondering, in general, if I were to get one of these phones would I at least get the same ability I have with my 4G AT&T SIM card that I use with my Moto phone now? In other words can it connect like other 4G AT&T phones can do now? Sounds like the answer might be "not quite"? Thanks.

--
Steve

You will get all the US at&t and t-mobile bands that were available at the start of 2019. Yes 4g. What you will not get are the longer range t-mobile  bands that are not in this chip (band 66 and 71). Also there is an issue with 2g, 3g bands that are being dropped in a couple of years and refarmed for 4g/5g. This may affect the functionality of the phone depending on how that plays out. I may have missed it, but I didn't see Pine's answer about whether they have registered their their phones with US carriers which would  enable VoLTE and solve the band refarming issue (as would replacing the module with an EC25-AF

So, in short, without having one in hand, on paper you should be good to go for a few years, but after that maybe not so much. I'm still getting one, but i plan on performing surgery on it and seeing if I can swap the module. I'd be much happier if I could get one with a North American aligned module, or none at all! I have a registered module sitting right here waiting that came from another product
I just tried activating the phone on PPC which uses the Verizon network. "This phone is not VoLTE capable and not eligible for activation with Page Plus." So, you say it is but just needs to be registered with Verizon? PPC/Verizon made their determination with the MEID.

I see on www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/mobile/features/unlocked-phones-and-your-carrier-how-they-work-together "If you are with a carrier that doesn't list your unlocked phone as being LTE cabable, you can always just give them an IMEI number of a carrier-branded phone. Or set up your account on a carrier-branded phone first, then switch the SIM card into the unlocked phone." But the webpage was last updated 4 years ago.

So, would this work on VoLTE networks with a SIM from a registerable phone?

soyrunner
(02-13-2020, 01:32 PM)soyrunner Wrote: I just tried activating the phone on PPC which uses the Verizon network.  "This phone is not VoLTE capable and not eligible for activation with Page Plus."  So, you say it is but just needs to be registered with Verizon?  PPC/Verizon made their determination with the MEID.

I see on www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/mobile/features/unlocked-phones-and-your-carrier-how-they-work-together "If  you are with a carrier that doesn't list  your unlocked phone as being LTE cabable, you can always just give them an IMEI number of a carrier-branded phone.  Or set up your account on a carrier-branded phone first, then switch the SIM card into the unlocked phone."  But the webpage was last updated 4 years ago.  

soyrunner

The EG25-G spec sheet says VoLTE is optional. I would assume a software upgrade. But one of the phone designers would have to answer whether they paid for that.

Assuming they did, Verizon's support page says they will activate unlocked devices for VoLTE but not wifi calling. They require a software download to enable it that they simply refuse to provide to non-Verizon phones. Since Page Plus uses Verizons networks, I would assume the same applies to them. I have not tried that - using a registered phones SIM to activate VoLTE. I'd love to hear of anybody whose successfully done it. So all I can say is try it.

Since this modem is really set up for GSM, you'd have better luck with AT&T, T-Mobile and their MVNOs. AT&T is shutting down their 2G and 3G network in 2022. As a service for the many people who will lose calling capability at that time, they are enabling VoLTE for any device on their Network.

T-Mobile, last I heard, was waiting on the outcome of their merger to decide when and how they will refarm their 2G/3G network. So stay tuned for that. If and when that happens, if VoLTE is not enabled on the Pinephone, it will lose the ability to make phone calls. This is why I asked for an upgrade of the modem to the EC25-AF chip. It's pin compatible, has VoLTE and all the bands necessary for both AT&T and T-mobile's 4G/5G migration. The current chip does not (missing AT&T band 14, and T-Mobile bands 66 and 71).

As long as the modem has VoLTE enabled, the phone will continue to work past 2022. But I haven't gotten an answer from Pine if it is.
Let's not put the cart before the horse. It's expensive to retool the assembly, even for a 'compatable' part. Let's find out what isn't going to fly as well as hoped, Get the software stable, along with the infrastructure to support the mess. Nobody is buying this thing to be their primary device for the next decade. I fully expect "lessons learned" will create vastly improved models as time goes on. Meawhile the big boys can fight over what 5G actually is and what it needs to be stable and interoperable. Wink
(02-13-2020, 04:42 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 01:32 PM)soyrunner Wrote: I just tried activating the phone on PPC which uses the Verizon network.  "This phone is not VoLTE capable and not eligible for activation with Page Plus."  So, you say it is but just needs to be registered with Verizon?  PPC/Verizon made their determination with the MEID.

I see on www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/mobile/features/unlocked-phones-and-your-carrier-how-they-work-together "If  you are with a carrier that doesn't list  your unlocked phone as being LTE cabable, you can always just give them an IMEI number of a carrier-branded phone.  Or set up your account on a carrier-branded phone first, then switch the SIM card into the unlocked phone."  But the webpage was last updated 4 years ago.  

soyrunner

The EG25-G spec sheet says VoLTE is optional. I would assume a software upgrade. But one of the phone designers would have to answer whether they paid for that.

Assuming they did, Verizon's support page says they will activate unlocked devices for VoLTE but not wifi calling. They require a software download to enable it that they simply refuse to provide to non-Verizon phones. Since Page Plus uses Verizons networks, I would assume the same applies to them. I have not tried that - using a registered phones SIM to activate VoLTE. I'd love to hear of anybody whose successfully done it. So all I can say is try it.

Since this modem is really set up for GSM, you'd have better luck with AT&T, T-Mobile and their MVNOs. AT&T is shutting down their 2G and 3G network in 2022. As a service for the many people who will lose calling capability at that time, they are enabling VoLTE for any device on their Network.

T-Mobile, last I heard, was waiting on the outcome of their merger to decide when and how they will refarm their 2G/3G network. So stay tuned for that. If and when that happens, if VoLTE is not enabled on the Pinephone, it will lose the ability to make phone calls. This is why I asked for an upgrade of the modem to the EC25-AF chip. It's pin compatible, has VoLTE and all the bands necessary for both AT&T and T-mobile's 4G/5G migration. The current chip does not (missing AT&T band 14, and T-Mobile bands 66 and 71).

As long as the modem has VoLTE enabled, the phone will continue to work past 2022. But I haven't gotten an answer from Pine if it is.

Assuming that the Pinephone will develop into a practical smartphone, even those that only travel to the U.S, will be benefited by better compatibility with U.S. carriers.  Seems only reasonable to explore greater interoperability options for future iterations of the PP. 

Appreciate that 'Rocket' and others are exploring and gathering information on this.  More than just hobby fun, Pine64's various projects (PBP, Pinephone, etc) could become viable and possibly important products with a little luck, the proper vision, energy and strategy.   Intentionally excluding the U.S. market seems like a missed opportunity.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone carrier support in Hungary notramo 7 2,591 12-14-2022, 12:18 PM
Last Post: notramo
  Keyboard support broken in Mobian? MacarioMorenoUK 2 1,722 06-08-2022, 02:34 AM
Last Post: MacarioMorenoUK
Bug [Support Request] Modem is Failing to Be Accessible FriendlyGecko 3 2,794 11-30-2021, 01:22 PM
Last Post: FriendlyGecko
Sad Need support with Support iyereed 16 18,064 07-30-2020, 02:59 AM
Last Post: iyereed
  EG25-G support for emergency alerts (WEA/CMAS) newton688 5 6,675 07-01-2020, 11:35 AM
Last Post: wibble
  NO AFTER SALE SUPPORT --> After one week no way to remove batterie harvey186 19 19,527 05-17-2020, 02:01 PM
Last Post: 33YN2