forgot login and password
I forgot my login and pasword. How can I format my pinebook without a pass?
Do you recall the password you set for root?
(12-26-2019, 01:11 PM)tophneal Wrote: Do you recall the password you set for root?

nope Sad
You can try flashing (dd) the OS back to your eMMC from a bootable SD card, or you can use the bootable SD card to recover your password. (Option 2 in this link. Some of the first few steps won't apply, since we don't have the same kind of live disks as x86.)
(12-26-2019, 01:43 PM)tophneal Wrote: You can try flashing (dd) the OS back to your eMMC from a bootable SD card, or you can use the bootable SD card to recover your password. (Option 2 in this link. Some of the first few steps won't apply, since we don't have the same kind of live disks as x86.)

Thanks a lot, and how do I get to the GRUB ?
(12-27-2019, 03:16 AM)sumer Wrote: Thanks a lot, and how do I get to the GRUB ?

There is no Grub on SBCs (yet?), hence why tophneal said:

> Some of the first few steps won't apply, since we don't have the same kind of live disks as x86.

Best bet is to loosely follow the '2. Reset Lost Root Password Using Live CD' set of instructions - basically booting from an image via microSD, mounting your emmc (not /dev/sda1, as that's a hard drive) and then chroot'ing in and resetting the password.
@sumer , hopefully this will help clarify a bit more:

Pick an OS to burn to an SD card from here. Once burning has finished, insert it into your PBP and boot from it. (If PBP is off, insert SD and turn on. If PBP is on, insert SD and reboot.)

Use the originally provided link, and go straight to the section 2. Reset Lost Root Password Using Live CD. Also skip steps 1 & 2 under that. (You're already booted into a Live disk, but it will not show you the installer dialogues.

Proceed to recover password, starting at step 3.
Thank you guys, I tried above, but I still face a problem:

So:
i) downloaded an OS and mounted it on a micro SD
ii) inserted the micro SD and started the device
at this stage it either does not do anything or takes me back to my old login

btw I do not have a pinebook pro but a regular pinebook
(01-01-2020, 05:17 AM)sumerm Wrote: Thank you guys, I tried above, but I still face a problem:

So:
i) downloaded an OS and mounted it on a micro SD
ii) inserted the micro SD and started the device
at this stage it either does not do anything or takes me back to my old login

btw I do not have a pinebook pro but a regular pinebook

Can someone please help me Smile
(01-01-2020, 05:17 AM)sumerm Wrote: i) downloaded an OS and mounted it on a micro SD

What OS have you downloaded and how did you mount it on a microSD?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brand new pinebook (yay!) went to sleep & I don't have the KDE default password (boo) pixelpaperyarn 3 4,145 05-31-2019, 12:11 PM
Last Post: MagicFab