ChromiumOS experience
How does everyone like this, if you've tried it?

For me, in general the feel is very smooth; the system feels more responsive than the image shipped from factory.
I am still getting used to the quirky right- and middle-click with touchpad. (right-click = alt+left-click, or two-finger tap; middle-click = three-finger tap)

I've tried two SSH apps but they both fail due to NaCl apparently missing, (is that expected?), not sure how to add that.
Google Drive access also doesn't seem to work from the system itself (= not visible from "Files" app); it only properly works from web-browser access.
I can get it to appear momentarily in "Files" if I disable then enable Google Drive (it's somewhere in settings, can't remember now), but it disappears
shortly afterwards/when I actually try to get into the folders.
I like it for the simplicity and ease of use, but there have been minor quirks that have put some dings in my experience, and make the OS seem quite hobbled.

2 finger tap for right click rarely works for me, I've resigned trying anymore. Every attempt registers as a single finger tap/click.

The Linux tools included will not install for me. The GUI installer fails at ~¾ with no explanation, and I can't find any commands to try through crosh and hopefully find out the error. After that I tried using Crouton, but regardless of distro or window management chosen (so far I've tried Xiwi and XFCE) none work.

I can't try some of the other Linux installation methods for Chromebooks because Linux Tools halfway installed Termina. I can see it's icon, but the system says it isn't installed, and it won't open. Adding my NAS in files was a bit buggy, and required a restart to view the network mounting options.

I also noticed that every webpage is missing the menu option to pin to the dock. I can only put Chrome apps in it. Youtube crashes it, every. time.

This isn't a problem with the OS build itself, but I've been very disappointed that I cannot find an app or extension to remap the top row keys. Guessing which key Chrome thinks each one is get annoying fast.

Overall, I don't think I'm going to keep R77 around. Once I get my eMMC adapter, I'm switching to Android in Freeform Window mode. I'm sure I'll revisit when the next releases come out, though, but I'll be booting it from SD.
(11-07-2019, 08:25 AM)tophneal Wrote: I like it for the simplicity and ease of use, but there have been minor quirks that have put some dings in my experience, and make the OS seem quite hobbled.

2 finger tap for right click rarely works for me, I've resigned trying anymore. Every attempt registers as a single finger tap/click.

The Linux tools included will not install for me. The GUI installer fails at ~¾ with no explanation, and I can't find any commands to try through crosh and hopefully find out the error. After that I tried using Crouton, but regardless of distro or window management chosen (so far I've tried Xiwi and XFCE) none work.

I can't try some of the other Linux installation methods for Chromebooks because Linux Tools halfway installed Termina. I can see it's icon, but the system says it isn't installed, and it won't open. Adding my NAS in files was a bit buggy, and required a restart to view the network mounting options.

I also noticed that every webpage is missing the menu option to pin to the dock. I can only put Chrome apps in it. Youtube crashes it, every. time.

This isn't a problem with the OS build itself, but I've been very disappointed that I cannot find an app or extension to remap the top row keys. Guessing which key Chrome thinks each one is get annoying fast.

Overall, I don't think I'm going to keep R77 around. Once I get my eMMC adapter, I'm switching to Android in Freeform Window mode. I'm sure I'll revisit when the next releases come out, though, but I'll be booting it from SD.

Follow point 6 instructions to fix sd card boot.

6. Now you have Ubuntu installed on eMMC and you can also boot from SD card, but only the same operating system. If we need also to boot other operating systems, we need to apply uboot fix. So download all the files from here https://github.com/mrfixit2001/updates_r...filesystem and run the mrfixit_update.sh script while running from eMMC. From now on you should be able to boot also other OS from SD like before.

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8119
Has anyone tried this yet? I’ve been meaning to, but haven’t gotten the Linux tools troubleshooted yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(11-08-2019, 05:28 AM)tophneal Wrote: Has anyone tried this yet? I’ve been meaning to, but haven’t gotten the Linux tools troubleshooted yet.

The instructions quoted are for Ubuntu Mate and may need to be adapted for Chromium.

I don't thibnk you should run them from the Linux tools because AFAIK they run in a sandbox that can't access the eMMC. The recovery commands (whatever they turn out to be) need to be run from the debug shell (Alt-Cttl-F2).
PineTime: wasp-os and MicroPython, Pinebook Pro:  Debian Bullseye
Good point. I completely forgot about the sandbox.

I'll be interested to see if anyone's able to adapt that. Crosh seems pretty limited in it's available commands.

RE u-boot: The script to patch u-boot on the eMMC is simple enough that it should just work, I don't think it's doing anything that would fail on chromeOS.

If for some reason it does fail I hacked a copy so I could flash to a specified device instead of the detected root; I used this to patch loopback mounted copies of ayufan's images so they're ready to use again if I need them. Just edit DEVID to point at the device you want to flash updated u-boot onto: https://pastebin.com/raw/EeK074XB.

You don't want to be working in crosh, either switch to the debug shell (ctrl+alt+f2) or drop to a proper shell from crosh by running "shell" and then switch to root. I usually just "sudo -i bash" as cronos (default password is "cronos") and away you go.

--

I tried the ChromeOS build out for a bit last night and it seemed to work well. Netflix video playback seemed significantly smoother compared to Linux, is there better support for hardware accelerated video here vs the Linux builds? My only real gripe with the experience was the touchpad, otherwise the PBP makes a pretty decent chromebook.
(11-08-2019, 05:52 PM)Arglebargle Wrote: RE u-boot: The script to patch u-boot on the eMMC is simple enough that it should just work, I don't think it's doing anything that would fail on chromeOS.

If for some reason it does fail I hacked a copy so I could flash to a specified device instead of the detected root; I used this to patch loopback mounted copies of ayufan's images so they're ready to use again if I need them. Just edit DEVID to point at the device you want to flash updated u-boot onto: https://pastebin.com/raw/EeK074XB.

You don't want to be working in crosh, either switch to the debug shell (ctrl+alt+f2) or drop to a proper shell from crosh by running "shell" and then switch to root. I usually just "sudo -i bash" as cronos (default password is "cronos") and away you go.

--

I tried the ChromeOS build out for a bit last night and it seemed to work well. Netflix video playback seemed significantly smoother compared to Linux, is there better support for hardware accelerated video here vs the Linux builds? My only real gripe with the experience was the touchpad, otherwise the PBP makes a pretty decent chromebook.

Thanks for the tip and the script! I've been amazed by how little information I've been finding about crosh. @Arglebargle would you recommend any resources for those of us that are new this OS?

Anyone else who's run this and installed the penguin VM, I'm curious, when you enter the shell, do you have apt?
(11-08-2019, 10:33 PM)tophneal Wrote:
(11-08-2019, 05:52 PM)Arglebargle Wrote: RE u-boot: The script to patch u-boot on the eMMC is simple enough that it should just work, I don't think it's doing anything that would fail on chromeOS.

--

Thanks for the tip and the script! I've been amazed by how little information I've been finding about crosh.  @Arglebargle would you recommend any resources for those of us that are new this OS?

Anyone else who's run this and installed the penguin VM, I'm curious, when you enter the shell, do you have apt?

Crosh is basically just the debug shell for the chromeos ecosystem, there isn't a lot you'll want to do with it on your own other than typing "shell" and using the crosh window to drop to bash. You can run some basic diagnostic commands but not much that's useful for tinkering.

I haven't played with the Linux VM support much yet, the chromebook I spend most of my time on doesn't have crostini support (thanks Skylake!) so I just use crouton and a chroot when I want to do linux things.
I tried installing Croton a go a few times. It worked, just not any GUIs. Enter-chroot never failed, but xiwi and the desktops did Everytime on stretch.