Backlights doesn't work
Yesterday afternoon my PBP arrived and today i tried to power on it. Seems like everything works but the backlight. Display is black but with some external lights, i can see the login screen.

I tried to open it, but i didn't find any cable or hardware problems. There is onlythe plastic near the eDP cable that is damaged.

Any idea how can i try to fix this? It's quite frustrating to have finally PBP but no being able to use it... Undecided

Attached Files
.jpeg   p64-photo-box-2.jpeg (Size: 105.96 KB / Downloads: 401)
.jpeg   p64-photo-box-1.jpeg (Size: 107.23 KB / Downloads: 414)
.jpg   p64-photo-2.jpg (Size: 226.43 KB / Downloads: 463)
.jpeg   p64-photo.jpeg (Size: 129.65 KB / Downloads: 456)
(10-24-2019, 09:10 AM)Bloris Wrote: Yesterday afternoon my PBP arrived and today i tried to power on it. Seems like everything works but the backlight. Display is black but with some external lights, i can see the login screen.

I tried to open it, but i didn't find any cable or hardware problems. There is onlythe plastic near the eDP cable that is damaged.

Any idea how can i try to fix this? It's quite frustrating to have finally PBP but no being able to use it... Undecided

This is something you'll need to contact support about. I suggest opening a ticket rather than emailing them at this time.

Very strange stuff - all PBPs (every-single-one) go though QC at the factory, so it must have worked when it left the production line.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(10-24-2019, 10:18 AM)Luke Wrote: This is something you'll need to contact support about. I suggest opening a ticket rather than emailing them at this time.

Very strange stuff - all PBPs (every-single-one) go though QC at the factory, so it must have worked when it left the production line.

I've already opened a ticked, waiting for someone to reply me, whilst i i tried to write here...maybe someone could have some idea how to fix this Big Grin 

I will try to open the monitor and see if is all ok...I hope to not break anything ahah.
(10-24-2019, 10:38 AM)Bloris Wrote:
(10-24-2019, 10:18 AM)Luke Wrote: This is something you'll need to contact support about. I suggest opening a ticket rather than emailing them at this time.

I've already opened a ticked, waiting for someone to reply me, whilst i i tried to write here...maybe someone could have some idea how to fix this :D 

I will try to open the monitor and see if is all ok...I hope to not break anything ahah.

I remember reading about a similar issue with the Pinebook. It could be that the backlight was turned all the way down and then shutdown. This state would then be saved and be present on reboot. 

It was resolved previously by using a flashlight shined on the screen to login, and then adjust the backlight brightness. The blue Fn key and F2 increase the backlight level on the PBP.
(10-31-2019, 08:30 PM)hmuller Wrote: I remember reading about a similar issue with the Pinebook. It could be that the backlight was turned all the way down and then shutdown. This state would then be saved and be present on reboot. 

It was resolved previously by using a flashlight shined on the screen to login, and then adjust the backlight brightness. The blue Fn key and F2 increase the backlight level on the PBP.

First, thank you for yuor reply...In about 10 days you are the only guy that tried to help me. Even the support or info team are ignoring me Confused 

Anyway, i didn't have tried to log in because i though it was an hardware problem. I will be able to try this tomorrow evening. However it's strange fn+F2 doesn't work in the login screen...

Thank you Big Grin
I can confirm that the brightness setting cannot be adjusted from the sign-in screen
Logging in blind to a standard Pinebook Pro is: "rock" enter-key (or Tab) "rock" enter-key
Then Fn plus F2 to crank the brightness up
Good luck!
(11-02-2019, 12:18 PM)neilman Wrote: I can confirm that the brightness setting cannot be adjusted from the sign-in screen
Logging in blind to a standard Pinebook Pro is: "rock" enter-key (or Tab) "rock" enter-key
Good luck!

Bad news, seems like it's an hardware problem. You can login and try to increase the monitor's light but it remains black. Desktop seems to work fine, shortcut seems to work...but backlight doesn't.

I'm quite unlucky...
(11-03-2019, 02:55 PM)Bloris Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 12:18 PM)neilman Wrote: I can confirm that the brightness setting cannot be adjusted from the sign-in screen
Good luck!

Bad news, seems like it's an hardware problem. You can login and try to increase the monitor's light but it remains black. Desktop seems to work fine, shortcut seems to work...but backlight doesn't.

I'm quite unlucky...

Mine started out with a very dark screen with a little screen flicker and when I typed it would brighten enough to see the log in. I soon found that by just pressing on the top of the keyboard frame the screen would also brighten enough to log in. However, it has now deteriorated so that I only get a dark screen and have to log in blind and then hit the Fn F2 several times to get the screen to brighten. No screen flicker after it warms up. After reading the post on horrible screen flicker I tried booting with the charger plugged in and there is no problem with dark screen or flicker. However, the Fn F2 key brightness setting is not stable until after a few minutes of warmup.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Struggling to get USB-C DP to work gravedigger 1 2,294 07-31-2021, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Arwen
  Battery doesn't charge mspohr 5 5,148 06-11-2021, 08:42 AM
Last Post: mspohr
  Getting the dock to work. wove 2 4,024 12-27-2020, 09:27 AM
Last Post: wove
  Can't get wired headset microphone to work mjc 1 2,780 10-16-2020, 07:08 AM
Question Is work still being done on the Pinebook Pro keyboard drivers User 11436 5 6,687 06-12-2020, 10:10 AM
  You guys think this screen combination would work on the pinebook or no? BeauS 3 5,404 08-10-2019, 06:18 AM
Last Post: User 12559