USB-C dock
Hello,

Do you know any usb-c dock do you think would be good for the pinebook pro?
One with dp or hdmi out + some usb2 and usb3 type A + charging + ethernet would be nice if working well on Linux.
(08-05-2019, 04:07 PM)tgrauss Wrote: Hello,

Do you know any usb-c dock do you think would be good for the pinebook pro?
One with dp or hdmi out + some usb2 and usb3 type A + charging + ethernet would be nice if working well on Linux.

Searching Amazon.com "universal docking station for laptop" gives a lot of hits. This one in particular may be of interest:

https://www.amazon.com/Display-YXwin-Del...way&sr=8-7
Is there any information yet whether DisplayPort MST will be supported?
If so, a dock like the Digitus DA-70863 + USB-C PD Power Supply might work fine. Or a Dell WD15 which can be bought used for cheap.

Avoid anything with DisplayLink chips inside.
I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077Z1...UTF8&psc=1
and I do not recommend it. Had issues with another device using it as well.  

When I used the linked USB-C dongle with the pinebook pro the connection to the monitor started flashing and I was never able to use anything I plugged into the usb port of the dongle. It did however charge the laptop when I plugged in a USB-C charger. The connection to the monitor started flashing more and more until the monitor went blank.  

I am lucky to have a Dell monitor with a USB-C input that also provides power. So far it has been rock (pun intended) steady and and actually typing this now on the pinebook pro (pbp) with out issue and the laptop is being charged. 
One thing I noticed is with the pbp I am not able to use the USB ports on the monitor but I am when using the USB-C connector with other devices. Not sure what the issue is there. 

I will continue to test and use other OS installs to see if it is the stock image or hardware limitations.

(10-04-2019, 03:08 PM)jabo Wrote: I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077Z1...UTF8&psc=1
and I do not recommend it. Had issues with another device using it as well.  

When I used the linked USB-C dongle with the pinebook pro the connection to the monitor started flashing and I was never able to use anything I plugged into the usb port of the dongle. It did however charge the laptop when I plugged in a USB-C charger. The connection to the monitor started flashing more and more until the monitor went blank.  

I am lucky to have a Dell monitor with a USB-C input that also provides power. So far it has been rock (pun intended) steady and and actually typing this now on the pinebook pro (pbp) with out issue and the laptop is being charged. 
One thing I noticed is with the pbp I am not able to use the USB ports on the monitor but I am when using the USB-C connector with other devices. Not sure what the issue is there. 

I will continue to test and use other OS installs to see if it is the stock image or hardware limitations.

I am now connected to a Dell WD-15 USB-C dock and the only things that are working are power and Network. No USB ports and no monitor output. pbp does not see any monitors attached when using this dock.
Spiceworks Community: That_IT_Guy
Twitter: @myhelpdeskhell
I'm still waiting for my pbp but I'm in batch 1. 
When I get mine I'll check compatability with my dock (https://www.deltaco.eu/en/products/n%C3%.../USBC-1266)
Linux newbie learning programming as a hobby!

Pinebook Pro running bionic ubuntu
Rockpro64 4gb v2.1 in the NAS enclosure running omv
Rock64 1gb as a retrogaming station

(10-06-2019, 11:46 AM)Meatball Wrote: I'm still waiting for my pbp but I'm in batch 1. 
When I get mine I'll check compatability with my dock (https://www.deltaco.eu/en/products/n%C3%.../USBC-1266)
After looking at the dock you linked and at the wiki page for the pbp it looks like it should work as the pinebook pro uses Alt DP

Video

USB-C Alt model DP up to 3840x2160p60

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
(10-06-2019, 12:22 PM)jabo Wrote:
(10-06-2019, 11:46 AM)Meatball Wrote: I'm still waiting for my pbp but I'm in batch 1.
After looking at the dock you linked and at the wiki page for the pbp it looks like it should work as the pinebook pro uses Alt DP

Video

Sure hope so since I bought the dock for using it with the pbp. Have no idea how reliant these are on software support on the host side but it will be interesting none the less! Cool
Linux newbie learning programming as a hobby!

Pinebook Pro running bionic ubuntu
Rockpro64 4gb v2.1 in the NAS enclosure running omv
Rock64 1gb as a retrogaming station

Video

Are you doing anything special to manage the resolution switch between laptop and monitor?
It's something I've tried the avoid b/c Linux handles these switches quite poorly with windows moving around and whatnot - and there are very few USB-C 1080p monitors to choose from
(10-06-2019, 11:26 PM)geokon Wrote:

Video

Are you doing anything special to manage the resolution switch between laptop and monitor?
It's something I've tried the avoid b/c Linux handles these switches quite poorly with windows moving around and whatnot - and there are very few USB-C 1080p monitors to choose from
I am not. It seems to handle the ultrawide just fine. With that being said my resolution is 2420x1080 on the monitor. I have a 4k tv I'll test when I get to work if I have time.

About USB-C docs - we're looking into one particular dock at the moment. We didn't have a chance to take a look at docks in-depth prior to shipping because of all the issues we had to resolve. @Mrfixit2001 is getting one candidate dock any day now, and we'll see if he can make it work -- if/when it works, it will be available for purchase in the PINE64 store. Since its a generic dock that we'll rebrand, we'll let you know which other names it can be found under on amazon/ ebay etc.,

@jabo 4k desktop performance will be poor - at least on current builds. But 4K desktop on the RK3399 is asking a lot. However 1440p is perhaps just 10-15% slower than 1080p -- probably comparable to your ultrawide setup right now. Should be OK.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine Dock Networking Issue trillobite 1 182 02-10-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: trillobite
  Pinebook Pro Dock - cannot connect to monitor Dominik 4 3,292 06-12-2022, 10:53 AM
Last Post: Rosbeefandino
  Getting the dock to work. wove 2 4,024 12-27-2020, 09:27 AM
Last Post: wove
  Pinebook Pro Dock Power Requirements calinb 9 11,892 12-16-2020, 09:24 AM
Last Post: dsimic
  Pinephone dock with Pinebook Pro? karlnicholas 2 4,795 09-21-2020, 05:11 PM
Last Post: karlnicholas
  USB-C hub/dock/video Corkonian 2 4,665 11-02-2019, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Corkonian